XPEnology Community

Compiling Synology NAS GPL Source & DSM Tool Chains

SudoICE

The Synology DSM is really neat. I see they offer the NAS Source and DSM tool chains as open source and downloadable from sourceforge. Is it possible to compile the source files and run Synology in a VM or other hardware legally? I have skimmed around the forums and see some areas that might be gray but possibly because I don't understand what is taking place. Is this all perfectly legal? It seems too good to be true.....

Officially, it is not illegal, Synology is distributing the firmware packages free and open, anyone can access them. For personal use, you cannot be held accountable as you did not make profit on it, thus you did not cause a major damage to Synology (and even if you weren't able to use their OS on different hardware, you would probably not buy an actual Synology NAS, so there's no actual damage). They trade mostly in hardware, DSM is just a really nice extra per say.

However, using it in a business, or distributing your own hardware with DSM installed is against the ToS and EULA, and in that case, you risk a lawsuit from them.

So again, it is just as "bad" as making a Hackintosh, not preferred by the original manufacturer, but in reality, they won't stop you from doing so. Plus, most of the Synology-related features (DDNS, for example) do not work without a valid serial number.

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that was the case. There are several business clients I have purchased Synology hardware devices but I was hoping to use a virtual version for myself.

You know, I would be willing to shell out $99 for an VM version if they offered that at some point. When you think about it thats actually a decent idea. However, I am sure someone has already thought of offering a VM and it was shot down for some reason, probablly licensing.

If you were wondering why a VM? The reason would be I already have invested in a hardware/storage virtualized infrastructure and could leverage those resources. Specifically VMWare ESXi and/or Hyper-V. Just a dream.

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that was the case. There are several business clients I have purchased Synology hardware devices but I was hoping to use a virtual version for myself.

As I said, for personal usage, playing around, etc., you can do it. Nobody's gonna stop you :grin:

You know, I would be willing to shell out $99 for an VM version if they offered that at some point. When you think about it thats actually a decent idea. However, I am sure someone has already thought of offering a VM and it was shot down for some reason, probablly licensing.

If you were wondering why a VM? The reason would be I already have invested in a hardware/storage virtualized infrastructure and could leverage those resources. Specifically VMWare ESXi and/or Hyper-V. Just a dream.

This won't happen for the exact same reason why Apple won't sell a PC-installable version of OS X. Synology mainly deals with the hardware, the software is just an "inclusive gift", to make it more appealing. If they sold the OS only, their hardware purchases would soon drop, as better hardware can be bought for lot less than they offer (for example, their cheapest x86 based device is a 2-bay NAS for 6-700USD, without hard drives. Or you can get an HP Microserver, G5-6-7, or even an 8, for half the price and double the hardware).