XPEnology Community

Installation, Frequency out of range

freebsdrules

Hello all-

I am trying to install the latest version on a clean machine (no other OS, new drives). I am able to boot using the USB image and select the Xpenology installation. It says it is loading zimage and then the screen flashes and the monitor says 'frequency out of range'. Then nothing. The monitor is fairly old (vga hooked up to onboard video card) so I tried it on a TV hooked in via vga (again, pretty old but still). I get to the same point and the TV says 'Invalid Mode'.

Does this have to do with my displays? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Peter

Thanks brantje. I'm fairly experienced, just getting back into bsd/linux after many years away. This is my first time trying an Xpenology install. Any help you can provide editing the syslinux on my usb to get around this issue is much appreciated!

ok, first thing first.

on the very first boot, even if you don't have a monitor attached, it should go all the way to the login screen, in a fast machine, that is approximately 1 min / 60 sec max

the only reason to have a monitor during installation is simply to keep an eye on any unexpected error that prevents the Bootloader from booting all the way to the login screen.

so Assuming there was no problem with any hardware during boot up, wait for 30 sec to 60 sec, then use the Synology Assistant to find the machine you just booted from the USB stick.

after that, all is done from the Web interface.

I've done many XPEnology installs already, there's no need to use a monitor if all the hardware are compatible.

There is no much to edit in your USB, unless you got a built that got more than 12 HDDs, or if you wanted to change the serial number

which you can do anyways from another machine if it's just the serial number

the 12+ drive thing can be done from the SSH comand line after you get the system up and running.

Thank you all! I was able to allow synology to boot and then find it on my network using the synology assistant. I tried installing using the pat file I downloaded but got an error saying the file is most likely corrupt. Will try to re-download and try again. Will report back. Thanks again!

Thanks again everybody. Either I did not read enough material or it was not spelled out clearly enough for me. I didn't realize that the "install" was really only to boot and then you had to install DSM on the device via the Synology Assistant. I also downloaded the .pat for update 5 I believe which initially didn't work. I eventually got the correct PAT file and got everything up and running and am now on DSM 5.2-5967 Update 1.

This machine replaces an older DS410 that had 2x 2TB discs setup in a mirrored raid array. I bought an old HP ProLiant DL385 G5 with 2x 6-core Intel 2.2GHz procs, 64GB RAM, 4x GB NICS, and put in 4x 2TB 7,200K HDDs. What a nice hardware improvement and I think I paid less than I did for the original DS410 a few years ago.

Thank you to the XPenology team!

This machine replaces an older DS410 that had 2x 2TB discs setup in a mirrored raid array. I bought an old HP ProLiant DL385 G5 with 2x 6-core Intel 2.2GHz procs, 64GB RAM, 4x GB NICS, and put in 4x 2TB 7,200K HDDs. What a nice hardware improvement and I think I paid less than I did for the original DS410 a few years ago.

Thank you to the XPenology team!

That! is exactly why many of us here Fan of Synology are so excited about this Open Source project.

If Synology didn't charge so much over head over their hardware, I'll rather buy the real thing.

I have several boxes from Synology, but they all get outdated very quickly.

DS207+

DS210

DS211

DS410

and after that I started building my own Linux Servers, Fedora / Ubuntu / FreeNAS... but still nothing compared to the amazing Synology OS.

So it was a God Sent when this project became stable after version 4.x

DSM 5 and DSM 6 on the 210 / 211 / 410 runs sooooo sloooooow.

yet on any machine from AMD Athlon 64 series, P4 or Duo Core, DSM 5 runs amazingly fast even with only 2 GB RAM

if you have a large case, like the Norco 24, or BlazePod, or a regular old Full Tower, you can fit sooooooo many 3.5 hard drives into them.

Any hardware combined case, controllers, ram, cables, etc, excluding HDD cost of course, will always end up totalling less than any Synology Disk Station, and it will cost way way less than any of the Synology Processional RS / XS series.

I'm little late but I think your monitor doesn't support vga=0x305 (1024x768 8bits).

During GRUB screen press TAB to edit boot command line and remove vga=0x305.

It will revert the resolution to 640x480 :smile:

Thanks for the reply, even if a bit late. That would have been helpful. I tried a non-hex code but that obviously didn't work. Now I know!