XPEnology Community

add more drive to 918+ 6.2.3 more than 16 disk bay

Rayqusa

Question

good morning everyone. as we know that synology ds918 has capped 16 disk bay. I see on internet we can upgrade it. as this link. it working flawlessly on my 6.1.7. now I using 6.2.3

this is my primary server and has 1TB data. Even I have backup it to azure. I am afraid if sh*t happen.

I read on that youtube comment that this trick only work on 6.1.7 OSs. does someone have tutorial to expand drive on 6.2.3?

thank you

9 answers to this question

20 hours ago, Rayqusa said:

good morning everyone. as we know that synology ds918 has capped 16 disk bay. I see on internet we can upgrade it. as this link. it working flawlessly on my 6.1.7. now I using 6.2.3

you think so? old story, you can read here how it ends

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/8057-physical-drive-limits-of-an-emulated-synology-machine/?do=findComment&comment=122819

20 hours ago, Rayqusa said:

this is my primary server and has 1TB data. Even I have backup it to azure. I am afraid if sh*t happen.

I read on that youtube comment that this trick only work on 6.1.7 OSs. does someone have tutorial to expand drive on 6.2.3?

with just1TB of data what doe you need more then16 disks for?

and even if its more you could  backup to backblaze for a decent price

not sure what you are afraid of when you say "sh*t happen", there is a solution for most things and having more disks and data at one point (of failure) might increase you problems

I mean I want to buy more hdd in the future.

I was backup my xpenology data on amazon S3 and azure

I want to increase hdd bay limit from 16 to 26 bay as state on installation FAQ that maximum drive is 26

my data on onedrive is 4 TB. but my drive are full with 5 drive with 1TB capacity.

here my mainboard spec:

5x Sata slot

1x M.2 NVMe slot

20 bay left base on theory. I think I going to buy PCIe 20x sata expansion slot. but the obstacle is default limit for DS918+ is 16 sata slot

if I cant change 16 default maximum bay, I am prefer to buy 10x sata expansion slot

thank you.

45 minutes ago, Rayqusa said:

I think I going to buy PCIe 20x sata expansion slot.

no so fast, you cant just buy any card with a lot of ports, the card you have in mind will have multiplexers for sure and these dont work in dsm

maybe dig into this thread for a start

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/35882-new-sataahci-cards-with-more-then-4-ports-and-no-sata-multiplexer/

the biggest bang in one slot would be a 24i sas card, 6 ports and every port can have 4 sata disks (sas can handle sata)

maybe a 16i will be enough, but these cars are not that cheap

its usually a balance between ports/housing/power consumption/heat-noise/disksize

even if you get a "cheap" 24 slot sas based old server the noise and power consumption will be enormous

building a smaller system just 10-12 slots sata/ahci and bigger disk might be cheaper seen over 2 years when including power consumption, a simple nas for just storing data does not need 16 cores ans 120-180W cpu power, you can handle that with just 4 cores and 35 watt easily

you can buy 20TB disk so there a a lot of space possible with a low disk count

if you start with 3 x 12 TB as raid5 you still have 24TB usable space and every 12TB disk you add will increase the usable space by that amount (with7 or 8 disk you might consider raid6 but thats optional)

10 hours ago, Rayqusa said:

so, we have not trick to increase into 26 bay?

the trick is money, either have enough pcie slots for "small" controllers (like 5 to 8 sata ports per controller) or use a lsi sas controller, the "normal" one most use has 8 sata ports but there are also 16 an 24 port variety's, it also can be combined so using a 16i lsi sas, 6 onboard sata and a 4-8 port sata controller would give a 26 ports as hardware

you could also use a sas expander and a small sas controller (https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/SAS_Expander), but still spendy

maybe stick to sata multiplexer (the disk access will be slow as all ports of a multiplexer chip share the 6G sata connection of the port that is multiplexed) you can use another nas system like open media vault, the sata multiplexer limit is specific to dsm (its a hacked appliance, not a normal linux and has it limits)

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

maybe stick to sata multiplexer (the disk access will be slow as all ports of a multiplexer chip share the 6G sata connection of the port that is multiplexed) you can use another nas system like open media vault, the sata multiplexer limit is specific to dsm (its a hacked appliance, not a normal linux and has it limits)

the main reason using. synology is SHR, we could add more drive overtime

so, I am stick to xpenology

17 minutes ago, Rayqusa said:

I mean from the software. the software maxed out 16 bay

can be changed in synoinfo.conf with jun's loader you change it after installing dsm manually, that setting will be lost with main dsm updates (full 200-300 MB *.pat file) and the raid will start as failed after a update and you would need to reapply the change for more disks

its also possible to mod jun's patch in the extra.lzma to check on every boot if its applied, that way even a bigger update will not end with a failed raid

in the new redpill loader its way easier to configure, just a text file before building the loader

https://github.com/pocopico/redpill-load/blob/master/config/DS918%2B/7.0-41890/config.json

maybe you should worry about >16 disk when you hit that limit irl

there are lots of other problems like the case to simply have all the disks, the noise level (there is no way of cooling that passiv) and the controller (that needs a working driver in dsm)

17 minutes ago, Rayqusa said:

on the hardware I am planning to buy Asm1166 with 10 port

as i suggest in the thread linked above, its really good to at least look up the specs of a chip to know whats going on

asm1166 is a 6 port controller, if you buy it with 10 ports its most likely made up with sata multiplexer and you will end up only being able to use 6 ports in dsm

https://www.asmedia.com.tw/product/45aYq54sP8Qh7WH8/58dYQ8bxZ4UR9wG5

1 minute ago, Rayqusa said:

the main reason using. synology is SHR, we could add more drive overtime

so, I am stick to xpenology

shr is only neede for asymertic disks and there are limits too (like you can only add same size or bigger disks)

https://kb.synology.com/en-br/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/storage_pool_expand_add_disk?version=6

if you only use same size disks you can have a simple raid5 or raid6 and that can be used with all nas systems

beside this shr is a nice gui to mdadm and lvm2, you could manually create such volumes yourself and any linux should be able to use it (you can use a shr volume in open media vault if you boor from disk running omv - thats my fallback scenarion and the only downside was the synology's names for volumes might interfere and would need to changed to mount in in omv)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/42793-hp-gen8-dsm-623-25426-update-3-failed/?tab=comments#comment-200475