XPEnology Community

Recommedations Inexpensive POE IP Camera outdoor use

NasMaster

Its probably not going to be cheap if you want all of those three in one package. However, you can probably fit an indoor camera like DCS-942L into a cheap camera housing for outside use and also get a cheap POE extractor.

1 for Hikvision. Best quality (day and night) that I've come across for the price. As Threska960 said, look for US or International or you'll be stuck with a Chinese firmware. I own and have installed *many* Hikvision cameras and have been nothing but happy with them.

For $100 I'd look at these models:

Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I (Dome Style)

Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I (Bullet Style)

Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I (Turret Style)

Prices vary on these models but I've seen them priced ~$100 on Amazon. If you're looking to buy in bulk there are some great vendors on Aliexpress.com that sell the English firmware models of these at excellent prices.

Posted via Xpenology.us

Is there such big difference between the US and Chinese firmware, aside from the language.

Posted via Xpenology.us

Thanks Brantje, hope you can throw some light on this:

What to buy and where and which setting to use under XPenolgy for your recommendations.

I have read else where that the clones dont play nicley let me know your experiances please.

1 for Hikvision. Best quality (day and night) that I've come across for the price. As Threska960 said, look for US or International or you'll be stuck with a Chinese firmware. I own and have installed *many* Hikvision cameras and have been nothing but happy with them.

For $100 I'd look at these models:

Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I (Dome Style)

Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I (Bullet Style)

Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I (Turret Style)

Prices vary on these models but I've seen them priced ~$100 on Amazon. If you're looking to buy in bulk there are some great vendors on Aliexpress.com that sell the English firmware models of these at excellent prices.

Posted via Xpenology.us

Thanks Cstout looking at these right now.

Is there such big difference between the US and Chinese firmware, aside from the language.

Posted via Xpenology.us

Lol, no, I just can't read Chinese and don't want to fuss with Chrome's translate function each time I go into the interface. If that doesn't bother you then save even more money and get the China models. :wink: 

Edit: Oh! The timestamp is not in English...so unless your recording software is burning in a time stamp you'll have a non-standard date and time and it won't be in English. That was my biggest reason for going with the English firmware models. I don't like burning in anything to my stream. Too much load on the recording server. Instead, the camera adds the text and all the server has to do is decode and record the stream. Much less stress on the CPU.

Posted via Xpenology.us

Lol, no, I just can't read Chinese and don't want to fuss with Chrome's translate function each time I go into the interface. If that doesn't bother you then save even more money and get the China models. :wink: 

Edit: Oh! The timestamp is not in English...so unless your recording software is burning in a time stamp you'll have a non-standard date and time and it won't be in English. That was my biggest reason for going with the English firmware models. I don't like burning in anything to my stream. Too much load on the recording server. Instead, the camera adds the text and all the server has to do is decode and record the stream. Much less stress on the CPU.

PMSL think ill look for firmware or just buy locally, just want it straight forward and a £40 saving isn't worth the hassle

I use Hikvison too and would recommend them.

You can use the cameras NAS function to write direct (record) to a shared SMB folder on your XPE/DSM device and wont need surveillance station licences. if you do this then you should create a specific user account for the camera(s) and give it a disk quota to get the best integration.

Posted via Xpenology.us

Manufacturers support, and current firmware for features, bug fixes, and security updates. The Chinese version only has the seller support who may not be there three years from now, and changing the firmware can be a pain as well as the potential to brick.

How about Foscam FI9803EP @ $89.99

These are great cameras for the money even in the UK, but the exposed cabling is not suitable for my installation. Which is going to be low level sofit boards on a garage so will be using foscams later on for high level installation.

These are so hard to find in stock, almost everywhere I find them online, are out of stock.

I am too shopping for outdoor cameras, specially these that can be POE, just 1 wire and done.

Does anyone know how to insulate the RJ45 ports so rain doesn't get into it?

The camera itself is weatherproof, but I'm not quite sure the RJ45 port is waterproof, even when the cable is attached.

The Bullet Hikvisions do come with a watertight adapter. The downside is you need to cut off the RJ45 end. Run the wire through, then put a new RJ45 on. The other is to mount the camera on a watertight junction box (hides the wires and gives a boost away from the mounting surface). Me? Since I could hide most everything in the eaves, I used Coax Seal on the RJ45* as well as the power-pigtail.

*The paranoid could add some dielectric grease in the socket.