XPEnology Community

ASRock N3150M compatibility?

ivangundampc

I would like to buy an ASRock N3150M and run XPEnology on it.

However, according to the thread http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9658, many people said that XPEnology cannot control the CPU frequency with Asrock N3700-itx.

Basically, the CPU run 1.6ghz constantly, cannot sleep and boost.

So, will XPEnology work well with ASRock N3150M and able to control CPU frequency? Did anyone tried to install XPEnology with ASRock N3150M?

Also, how about the WOL function?

Thank you and sorry for my poor English.

However, according to the thread http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9658, many people said that XPEnology cannot control the CPU frequency with Asrock N3700-itx.

So, will XPEnology work well with ASRock N3150M and able to control CPU frequency? Did anyone tried to install XPEnology with ASRock N3150M?

I have just built a NAS with exactly that board, and I am very happy about it. It is true, there is no burst CPU control yet, but that is no real problem, at least for the basic stuff I have yet to see the processor go above 50%, usually much less. Another problem is that I cannot control the HD fan speed, but also for that I hope that drivers will be included in the next xpenoboot release.

I cannot say anything about WOL, never used it...

I have just built a NAS with exactly that board, and I am very happy about it. It is true, there is no burst CPU control yet, but that is no real problem, at least for the basic stuff I have yet to see the processor go above 50%, usually much less. Another problem is that I cannot control the HD fan speed, but also for that I hope that drivers will be included in the next xpenoboot release.

I cannot say anything about WOL, never used it...

Thanks for your reply!

So the CPU also cannot idle and reduce its frequency? How about the power consumption and the temperature?

Also, do you think that N3150 is enough cause i am also thinking of choosing N3700.

It cannot set itself to turbo mode, but normal mode has speedstep enabled anyway, so it's adjusting frequency depending on the needs. You can control fans in BIOS, but in the next xpenoboot, there are supposed to be some fan drivers, so we might be able to do it in DSM.

N3150 is more than enough, if you are not doing some CPU intensive work. I have never went over 50%, even when Serviio is transcoding videos for me.

Hi,

I have the Asrock N3150dc, 4GB, 2 x HD WD 6TD red, 1 x HD 4T red, Raid 5, DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5.

Before the update, but I do not remember the previous revison I had (anyway 5.2-xxxx), everything was working properly. Now the USB3.0 always disconnect any external hard drive (it does not matter if it is supplied by the USB or by external power supply) as soon as I try to copy anything (sometimes it lasts for 1-2GB). This is a software issue and not a hardware related issue (I have also upgraded the power supply from 60 to 90W). The USB2.0 always works fine.

With regards to performance, as a NAS is stunning, as Plex machine:

1 x stream of 12GB MKV - cpu 30%

2 x stream of 8-12GB MKV - cpu 60-65%

3 x stream of 8-12GB MKV - cpu 95%, sometime video stream stops.

BUT

1 x AVI 300MB - CPU 80-90% - no issues with frames

more than 1 AVI - randomly freezes

If you do not use PLEX but you use your computer / IPAD / iphone / Android phone to play directly the MKV or AVI files, 3 MKV + 2 AVI - CPU 15-20% only (obviously you are not using the N3150 processor to transcode).

Bottom line, the N3150 is a very good choice, but, if you do not need the DC version and you intend to use a standard power supply (100-150W maximum will be more than adequate), I would go for the N3700. The passmark is just better 1913 vs 1680.

Please note that there are two new versions of the processor: J3160 and J3710.

Intel p-states (frequency controlling for braswell CPUs) and Nuvoton nct6775 (FAN controller) will be supported in a next XPEnoboot release.

About differences beween braswell N3xxx and new J3xxx CPUs, it's only about newer CPU stepping. This new D stepping increase boost CPU and GPU frequency and fix some GPU bugs. MB layout is same at least in ASRock case.

I thought about buying the N3700 as well, but 30€ difference (70 vs 100) was unjustified for me, the difference being only the boost frequency (for the most part you will stay at 1.6GHz or less, unless you are heavily transcoding) and a slightly better GPU (which is mainly useless for a NAS). No brainer after a bit of research, and the reason is still valid after trying it.

• 4 months later...
Intel p-states (frequency controlling for braswell CPUs) and Nuvoton nct6775 (FAN controller) will be supported in a next XPEnoboot release.

About differences beween braswell N3xxx and new J3xxx CPUs, it's only about newer CPU stepping. This new D stepping increase boost CPU and GPU frequency and fix some GPU bugs. MB layout is same at least in ASRock case.

Hi Arcao,

Thanks.. As suggested by you, now i have J3160DC-ITX. :smile:

I need your help regarding wifi-adapter. I want to connect my J3160DC viaWifi adapter.. Can you please suggest any latest wifi adapter which is supported by xpenology..