XPEnology Community

Automatic Updates?

NoviceNAS

Thank you to everyone who has been involved in this, I've just discovered the software and it's exactly what I'm after, so thank you again.

One thing I'm not sure on - how do I update this? Given it's not the official Synology software, do I enable automatic updates? I'm guessing that I have to manually install updates from the XPE site to avoid some sort of horrible conflict, but wanted to check - automatic updates would be a lot simpler!

My NAS is local only with no remote access so I don't really have any security worries per se.

Thanks!

NO! You do not want automatic updates enabled. You will need to wait until updates are approved by the community or dev team before installing. In some cases you will need to update the XPEnoboot bootloader before or after updating.

Yep.

Set it to manual update, and to NEVER check for updates.

Plan your updates accordingly.

If you have a VM available, try which ever update you plan to install in the VM first, since VMs can roll back, you can safely test to see if the update works or not.

Usually updates within the same version say 5.1 to 5.1-9999 are relative "safe" but once it changes to 5.2, there is a very high changes it will require a new Bootloader / Nanoboot / XPEboot whatever will be the next version, and then again repeats most 5.2-9999 updates are probably "safe" until 6.0... which is what our wonderful Developers are working on now. :wink::grin: