XPEnology Community

Updates for "DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3"

Kenzox13

Hello again everyone.
I have certain doubts, I would like to have the latest update for the version "DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update" since I expect certain programs that I cannot find or do not work with the current one.

But I get lost in the forum, besides my English is not bad, the following...

I would like to know if there is any update or several updates until the latest version.

And as long as I don't delete the data that's in raid5, I don't mind changing.

Thanks

I am already on 6.2.3-25426 Update 3

is it possible to upgrade to dsm7 with redpill. Or do i need a fresh install (though i dont hope so!)

My current setup is Baremetal i3 8100T, 16Gig, 2 HDD + 2 SSD with juns loader 1.03 or 4 (dont know exactly since this is running flawless since 1.5 Years now) 

1 hour ago, Jens W said:

I am already on 6.2.3-25426 Update 3

is it possible to upgrade to dsm7 with redpill. Or do i need a fresh install (though i dont hope so!)

Maybe.

1 hour ago, Kenzox13 said:

Okay thanks.
So if I want to have something "more" modern I have to look at more modern versions DSM

Redpill is alpha/experimental.  Not recommended unless you are willing to troubleshoot extensively, risk and lose data.

Thanks.

I've read and understood the redpill loader installation and migration the last hour. Extensive Troubleshooting is nothing new for me.

From what i've read, it seems that redpill (beta not alpha) looks very promissing on my baremetal system.

Migration and Data loss dont seem to be a big problem (i didnt found any report for data loss).

Also i have backed up my system twice, so Data loss wont be an issue. Just reinstalling Dockers, settings in DSM Virtual Machines etc etc.

would be a pain in the ass scenario ;-).

I'll give it a try this weekend, cause i badly need DSM 7 for several reasons.

1 hour ago, Jens W said:

Thanks.

I've read and understood the redpill loader installation and migration the last hour. Extensive Troubleshooting is nothing new for me.

From what i've read, it seems that redpill (beta not alpha) looks very promissing on my baremetal system.

Migration and Data loss dont seem to be a big problem (i didnt found any report for data loss).

Also i have backed up my system twice, so Data loss wont be an issue. Just reinstalling Dockers, settings in DSM Virtual Machines etc etc.

would be a pain in the ass scenario ;-).

I'll give it a try this weekend, cause i badly need DSM 7 for several reasons.

If it works for you without problems and you don't mind commenting on it, it would be very good for me to also make my change.

So here is my conclusion.

At first: IT WORKS!!! I am now fully operational in DSM 7.01. 

Here is my Story: at 18oclock i created a boot stick with Win32Diskimager and the image from -> tinycore-redpill

I followed the instructions given by the readme and all seems fine -> My Synology booted with the new stick, told me that it seems i changed my harddrives and opted me to migrate data -> so far so good... DSM installation started until about 60% jumped to 100% and then it told me the system reboots. The 10 minute countdown started.

after the reboot, i was stuck at the migration screen and tried this a second tim with the same outcome.

So to check if i done everything right, i took an empty harddrive plugged it in and disconneted all other drives... tried installation on this factory new disk... same outcome...

every boot brought me to the installation screen of dsm... couldnt get it to run.

The problem now was... on the first attempt with my whole disks dsm installed and raised the Version from 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 to 7.01. so i couldnt boot with my old juns loader anymore. <- This is the point where i thought ... i need to setup my whole system new...

3-4 hours later after trying and erroring with several USB sticks, and installalling Apollolake, Broadwell, Bromolow Versions, i found the solution that could have saved me much time:

The serial generator provided with the tynicore-redpill  command -> "./rploader.sh serialgen DSXXXXX" gave me nice looking serial and mac combinations, but they dont work with 7.0.1-42218. Seems like the dsm installation process checks them so it fails migration/fresh installation.

Finally i took the real Serial Number and MAC adress of a real DS918+ and put it in the "user_config.json"

The installation and migration now worked without problems!!

side note: at first i took the serial from an old DS215j of my parents which run fine with juns loader <- no chance, it seems you need a matching serial of the same type of Diskstation you wanna install (DS918+ of my coworker in my case)!

If you try upgrading i highly recommed -> DO NOT try it with false serial mac combinations from the tinycore generator.

Even if this worked for some of you with older dsm versions prior 7.0.1-42218. <- Spoiler: for me it didnt even work with 6.2.4! :-D

So now almost 90% of all settings are migrated automaticaly (dockers, shares, users etc). No data is lost. I am happy! <- this was  arround 01:30 in the morning :-D

After all i think, if i had done it right from the start with a real SN, the whole process (incl bootstick generation) could have been done in about 30 minutes without problems.

Edited by Jens W
  • Like 2

I see you work fast and well!
Great job, I'll take a look at it slowly and when I can I will.
Even if I can say I have two usb with the same OS, one that is working and another in case the other one is damaged, so I will try a third usb, to see if my old HP server works!
Thanks a lot!

On 2/18/2022 at 11:41 AM, Jens W said:

The serial generator provided with the tynicore-redpill  command -> "./rploader.sh serialgen DSXXXXX" gave me nice looking serial and mac combinations, but they dont work with 7.0.1-42218. Seems like the dsm installation process checks them so it fails migration/fresh installation.

a simple solution to that might be to just block internet access for the ip of the nas and download the *.pat file manually from synology instead of doing a "online update"

beside that its also possible to downgrade a started updated, 1st step is to copy back the old kernel files to the old loader (2nd partiton, rd.gz + zImage, can be extracted with 7zip from the *.pat file of the version needed) and the more complicated thing is to "reset" the VERSION file of the dsm system partition (raid1 over all disks, 1st partiton on every drive)

pretty much the same for 7. 0 as for 6.2.4

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/42765-how-to-undo-a-unfinished-update-623-to-624-no-boot-after-1st-step-of-update/

• 2 months later...

Thanks! I didnt think about blocking Internet-Access, maybe you are right!

But for the .pat part... i downloaded the latest pat file and installed that offline. Didnt do the "online update", but the internet wasnt blocked for this machine.