XPEnology Community

Printer Issues

theimpimp

Hi all

First post here - been lurking and learning as much as I can up until now!

I've got XPEnology running on a gen8 microserver bare metal - works wonderfully, thank you so much! currently having fun trying to use docker to run a Home Assistant instance... docker could be so powerful on this box!

One small issue though - I've got a Samsung ML-1660 B&W laser printer, which while recognised by the system, won't actually print anything. The printer works fine when directly connected to a pc - anyone got any suggestions?

I've had issues with a USB wireless card on this machine in the past too (replaced it with a wire to a wireless bridge instead) so wondering if it has anything to do with that?

Any assistance greatly appreciated! :smile:

Hi Brantje

No no, good question always good to check the obvious! Yes it is shared for windows, apple and via Google Cloud Print. None of them work over the network, although all can see the printer - the printer itself just doesn't print except when directly connected to a pc/mac.

It is listed as a supported printer on Synology's website...

I have this printer connected to a N54L bare metal (and under ESXi at one point). It mainly works but sometimes my wireless connected laptop sends prints to it and they just vanish into the ether. My wired PC always works.

I think you are saying that the microserver is connected via wireless so even though I can't think of a good explanation for doing this, how about trying it all on a fully wired connection. If that fails, we could compare our two setups.

Hi billat29

Excellent, glad it is working for someone! I'm actually connected wired and am still having the same issue. Any other thoughts? I'm stumped as the box can see it but just refuses to print. Any sense in "uninstalling" the printer and reinstalling?

Cheers.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Might be worth a try.

On DSM, I have it defined as a network printer and it shows up in External Devices / Printer as name: usbprinter1. Mfr: Samsung ML-1660 series with a command set of GDI, FWV, EXT.

On windows 7, I have it defined via a standard TCP/IP port, with IP address = IP of diskstation, Q as usbprinter1 (same name as shown in DSM), LPR and with LPR byte counting enabled.

I'm using the ML-1660 driver which I installed separately and RAW output.

And that's it. If yours looks like that, then I am a bit stuck too.

I'm using the ML-1660 driver which I installed separately and RAW output.

How did you manually install this? I'm printing from OSX and from google cloud print from various other devices - uninstalling it and reinstalling it didn't work :sad:

Can't even get a test print out of it!

It's a long, long time since I played printers and print languages but I think we have a driver problem.

I can print from Windows, where I have installed the Samsung printer driver. As it is a GDI printer, I am expecting the Windows PC to do the heavy lifting of rasterising the image.

From Google Cloud Print, the job, as you say, gets printed according to GCP but no paper appears. However, the printer powers up and the data light flashes which makes me think that the print job is actually sent to the printer but the printer does not know what to do with it.

I also tried the "Print Test Page" from the Printer Manager in DSM control panel and nothing comes out there. I have tried a few values for the printer model, including what I now think should be the best fit - 1650 - but no joy.

However, it depends on what you are trying to do, I did manage to print a couple of documents from my Android phone using Samsung Mobile Print.... but it takes an awfully long time on the phone.

Damn I was hoping you wouldn't say that! It's a device supported on the Synology pages - any idea why it wouldn't work in synology itself? Is there any way I can update/ change the synology provided drivers?

I'll have to see if I can print from the app or from a windows box.... so frustrating - makes me tempted to go to a proper OS just to avoid these issues sometimes... but I love DSM! :sad:

This is just my theory. I am more than happy for someone with greater knowledge to stop by....

There is some stuff on the Synology forum about printing and trying to add support for various printers but it became too complex for me, I'm afraid...

This is just my theory. I am more than happy for someone with greater knowledge to stop by....

There is some stuff on the Synology forum about printing and trying to add support for various printers but it became too complex for me, I'm afraid...

Thanks, I'll have a dig around and post it I find anything useful. Currently resorted to carrying the laptop back to the printer and plugging it in like some luddite...!