XPEnology Community

Updating XPenology and Raid configuration

Vickic

Question

Hello everyone

I have loved this forum for sometime and have a request for some guidence if i may.

I have a HP G8 running DS3615sx DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 1 with 4 x 3Tb WD Reds with a 2  x 3Tb volumes and a Raid 1 with the other 2 Drives, i am now looking to udate the DSM version to 6.2.3 andd changing the drive configuration from the above to SHR using the 4 drives.

I also have  a HP N54L with the same drives replicating the G8 that is running DSL 6.2

What would be the best method? i am assuming all the data will need to be backed up off the NAS? 

Thank you

Vicki

Edited by Vickic

3 answers to this question

16 hours ago, Vickic said:

I have a HP G8 running DS3615sx DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 1 with 4 x 3Tb WD Reds with a 2  x 3Tb volumes and a Raid 1 with the other 2 Drives, i am now looking to udate the DSM version to 6.2.3 andd changing the drive configuration from the above to SHR using the 4 drives.

SHR would only help you if you plan to replace some of the 3TB disks later and want to replace only two or three, its meant for asymmetrical disk size

beside deleting all you could also convert the raid1 to raid5, same result with the 4 disks you have no but for bigger raid you would need to replace all 4 disks with bigger ones and then extend the raid5 to the new size, also be doing a raid1->raid5 conversion you  would only need to offload 6TB instead of 9TB

16 hours ago, Vickic said:

I also have  a HP N54L with the same drives replicating the G8 that is running DSL 6.2

What would be the best method? i am assuming all the data will need to be backed up off the NAS? 

as you need to offload at least 2x3TB (basic disks) when going to  raid5 and there is always a risk when doing things like that its best to have a full backup anyway

if its that much of a gain to only having 3 TB not to restore ... your decision, SHR is not going to be of any use as long as you dont plan to extend two or three disks

https://kb.synology.com/en-ph/DSM/tutorial/Why_cant_I_change_RAID1_to_SHR_or_vice_versa

SHR is mdadm software raids combined with lvm2, so you can "glue" a raid5 and a raid1 together and use that volume as a whole

like 2x3TB and 2x8TB will be a raid5 over all 4 disks using 3TB of each disk plus a raid1 over the left 5TB of the two 8TB disks

9TB + 5 TB usable space (or as a short version, the sum of all disks minus the biggest)

Thank you.

At some point i will be updating drives probally 2 at a time which is the main reason SHR looked interesting, i have just read on the forum that SHR is not supported DS3615xs which in the DSM i was going with using bootloader 1.03b and looking at my back up machine N54L running DSM6.2 i noting that SHR was not an option.

Do you know of anyone successfuly running DS918+ with bootloader 1.04b on a E31220 V2 (pre haswell)

13 hours ago, Vickic said:

At some point i will be updating drives probally 2 at a time which is the main reason SHR looked interesting

Not sure what this means.  Regardless of RAID or SHR, you cannot remove/replace two drives at a time or you will lose the array.

Also, if you plan to replace all the drives you have with larger, identical ones, the space will be expanded regardless of whether you are running RAID or SHR.

i have just read on the forum that SHR is not supported DS3615xs

SHR can be easily added if you continue to look on the forum for the configuration file information

Do you know of anyone successfuly running DS918+ with bootloader 1.04b on a E31220 V2 (pre haswell)

No.  Haswell or later is required.