XPEnology Community

Need Help for the Installation

Guillaume Soucy

Hello,

I need help to deploy Xpenology on Proxmox, I’m not able to find anything helpful on the forums concerning Proxmox.

I was able to connect and reach the drive selection page:

954986336_Screenshot1.thumb.png.eac99c4a35c243908196c9bf12b3634b.png

1188632_Screenshot2.thumb.png.97792fb6647755603e601970588537d9.png

But after rebooting I’m not able to connect anymore and the DHCP server display noting anymore, and the Synology is not reachable anymore, (It previously get 192.168.2.225):

117625994_Screenshot4.thumb.png.8c1b89fbf151ec2ec7d8b3e70c809a56.png

This is what I’ve got at boot:

539122025_Screenshot5.thumb.png.ab6be1fffeac5c0f5718a0cc31f29c06.png

Which one do I need to select?

The instance boot but it is not reachable, it was the case before:

687903913_Screenshot3.thumb.png.6e1d57b7bb9ef65066f0d6b37fd04f52.png

I need help, I’m lost right now.

Regards,

Guillaume

9 hours ago, Guillaume Soucy said:

It works once but after a reboot, it stop from being findable in despite of the screen on the console seem to be normal. A DHCP server is running on the network but is there a way to setup a static IP in XPenlology?

Thank-you!

Guillaume

Is the DHCP server your router?

Maybe you could log onto the router and see if you can find the IP of your XPen rig. Then try to access this IP on your web browser on port 5000/5001.

You may also want to DL and install Synology Assistant. I had plenty of experiences where find.synology.com would find nothing while Synology Assistant could detect my rigs. Give it a try.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/support/download/DS1821+?version=7.0#utilities

Is the DHCP server your router?

No, I'm running my own DHCP from a VM. At the DHCP I was able to see "diskstation" with an different MAC address than what I could find in Proxmox, find.synology.com was able to find the NAS and I was able to access it successfully with Firefox.

After a reboot, the DHCP is displaying the same MAC address than I can see in Proxmox, find.synology.com is not able to find anything anymore and if I try to go at 192.168.2.127:5000 it doesn't work.

267324372_Screenshot8.thumb.png.b5e7dbde9030bff8e15400f4d61569d1.png

62633321_Screenshot7.png.5ed7d6cfde38a795d548917e5eecac2c.png

When I'd boot XPnology, I can see three entries, is one of them is used for the setup or something?

Thanks,

Guillaume

On 2/16/2022 at 7:10 AM, Guillaume Soucy said:

try to go at 192.168.2.127:5000 it doesn't work.

you screenshot shows 227 not 127 but i guess thtas just a typo

i'd suggest putting the same mac as used in the vm into the loaders grub.cfg

you can set a static ip with the syno assistant (in the process when installing dsm to the system) after finding it 1st in network by dhcp

also i usually start with a ping and if that works try the browser

It still not working even after adding the VM's MAC address to the grub.cfg file.

At the time that it was working, the DHCP server was displayed "DISKSTATION" as hostname. Also, I 'd notice that the MAC address aleady present in grub.cfg was the one that the DHCP server was displayed.

Now I have nothing in hostname.

Just a question, which loader that I need to use? There several in https://xpenology.club/downloads/

Thank-you

Guillaume

56 minutes ago, Guillaume Soucy said:

Just a question, which loader that I need to use? There several in https://xpenology.club/downloads/

i usually stick to loaders from here, i dont know if others have modded there loaders

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7848-links-to-loaders/

and there is also a tutorial for Proxmox

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7387-tutorial-dsm-6x-on-proxmox/

a closer look to the pictures above show you used quicknicks loader, that one was never realease ofically by quicknic and has no good howto here and as its only for dsm 6.1 its not used much, the loaders suggested are for 6.2 (up to 6.2.3 u3) and depend on the cpu ..., look here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

So, I'd try: Option 3b: 1.03b loader, DSM platform DS3617xs version 6.2.3 (VM must be set to BIOS Firmware), it boot but no network.

506984236_Screenshotat2022-02-2019-58-03.thumb.png.644632e2115e0dc41eea42a15e5805c9.png

When I'd arrive on the boot menu, there four options (who get gone very quickly), there one saying "VMWare" or something, do I need to select that one?

The Proxmox version used in the tutorial is very outdated, I'm using 7.1-7 . I red the tutorial (many times) and because of the difference in the versions, a lot of things are not appealed the sames way. see moved in another section, it is very confusing.

17 hours ago, Guillaume Soucy said:

When I'd arrive on the boot menu, there four options (who get gone very quickly)

afair there are only three options visible, 1st for normal usb boot, the 3rd is labeled vmware and is mainly about using sata boot

you can change the timeout in grub.cfg too (set timeout='5')

, there one saying "VMWare" or something, do I need to select that one?

as soon as you move the cursor the timer stops, you can read and move between options and select with return, the selection is written to grub and on next boot it will be the new default

The Proxmox version used in the tutorial is very outdated, I'm using 7.1-7 . I red the tutorial (many times) and because of the difference in the versions, a lot of things are not appealed the sames way. see moved in another section, it is very confusing.

maybe after reading the initial part go to the end of the thread see if you can find information better suited for you version

like this?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7387-tutorial-dsm-6x-on-proxmox/?do=findComment&comment=147159

Hello,

I red the comment #147159 and I don't understand, do I absolutely need to add the e1000e network driver? e1000 is already available on Proxmox. And what I can't understand is it works once, I was able to see "DISKSTATION" as hostname in the DHCP and find.synology.com was able to find the NAS instance.

For the boot, do I need to use option 1 for USB boot?

Thanks,

Guillaume