XPEnology Community

DSM disk management not as flexible as I thought...

ilciumbia

Hi all,

I have just finished assembling my station: N3150M motherboard, extra Syba SATA controller, 8GB of RAM. I am experimenting a bit and I am trying to do something which does not appear, unfortunately, possible.

First attempt: I thought I could take my new 4 TB drive, create a volume and copy data on it, then add my spare 2x2TB drives, create a disk group in JBOD and use this group as second member of a RAID1 array. In pratice, 4//(2+2). Apparently, not possible.

Second attempt: I was disappointed to find out I could not do this either: 2TB+2TB disk group in JBOD, create a volume with that group, add the 4TB disk and create a RAID1 array. In practice, (2+2)//4. Not possible, too.

What I get from this is that, even if still great, the DiskStation has it limits in terms of flexibility in disk usage and assembly (or maybe I was expecting too much!).

Can you confirm that my deductions are correct? Is there no way to concatenate more drives in JBOD style and use the resulting bigger capacity as if it were a bigger disk in a RAID1/5/6 array?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Extend it yes, but add the 4 TB to change the RAID level from nothing to RAID1... I have not found a way... Is it possible?

EDIT:

I have re-read your reply more carefully and I cannot quite figure out what could happen without trying (and I cannot do it now because the two 2TB disks are currently busy).. I can only guess that adding a 4 TB disk to a 2x2TB SHR will give me the choice to move from RAID1 to RAID5... Perhaps it could allow me to create two 2TB volumes, redundant each on half the 4TB disk... to 2TB//(4TB/2) + 2TB//(4TB/2), but I am not sure this is what will happen...

Can anybody enlighten me?...

Thanks!