XPEnology Community

Develop and refine the DS3622xs+ loader

yanjun

Just tested DS3622xs+ loader on QNAP TS-269 Pro, migrated from DS3615xs with docker build method on Ubuntu 20.04. DSM 7.0.1-42218 install just fine, but updating to update-3 results in infinite recovery. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I assume there are no solution for this at the moment?

10 hours ago, kekesed97 said:

Just tested DS3622xs+ loader on QNAP TS-269 Pro, migrated from DS3615xs with docker build method on Ubuntu 20.04. DSM 7.0.1-42218 install just fine, but updating to update-3 results in infinite recovery. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I assume there are no solution for this at the moment?

When you update, the miniroot does not match the root disk and then you end up in a recovery loop. You can get out of it by removing ./syno folder and reinstalling or manually process and  create and process the rd.gz from the contents of the /.syno

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pocopico said:

When you update, the miniroot does not match the root disk and then you end up in a recovery loop. You can get out of it by removing ./syno folder and reinstalling or manually process and  create and process the rd.gz from the contents of the /.syno

Thanks for the tip. Thankfully I used a pair of test disks so my production disks was unharmed and safely migrated.

On a seperate note, I want to write my observation on first day of system run. I believe this might help someone. I will post it tomorrow to get a better look on it.

• Like 1

After 20 hours of running my box as DS3622xs+, here is my observations so far:

1. System boot takes longer than using DS3615xs. It takes approx. 3 mins for ping to reach, and another minute to reach webgui.
  2. Disk migration runs as it should be, but upon creating a new pool with "unsupported" drives, it shows a warning of unsupported disk. You can proceed to pool creation.
  3. Regarding disk pool editing, I'm facing issues when I try to convert a basic disk to RAID 1 and adding disk to an existing RAID 1 pool with mixed disks. It always ask for the identical disks (I forgot to take any screenshots). I don't have two identical disks to test it on that scenario.
  4. On the other side, CPU usage is lower compared when I run DS3615xs. But I made and booted the bootloader in two different ways may be the factor. I used docker build for DS3615xs and used Tinycore for DS3622xs+. I primarily run Adguard, Komga, and Shinobi CCTV with 5-6 camera streams, all in docker, beside file serving.
  5. Updating DSM didn't work and leads to infinite recovery.
  6. No system crashes or pool drop in this timeframe (configured in RAID 1 with mixed brand of 3TB HDD).

TL;DR: Migration went smoothly, boot takes longer, don't do any updates yet, and check your disks upon pool creation.

Edited by kekesed97
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kekesed97 said:

After 20 hours of running my box as DS3622xs+, here is my observations so far:

1. System boot takes longer than using DS3615xs. It takes approx. 3 mins for ping to reach, and another minute to reach webgui.
  2. Disk migration runs as it should be, but upon creating a new pool with "unsupported" drives, it shows a warning of unsupported disk. You can proceed to pool creation.
  3. Regarding disk pool editing, I'm facing issues when I try to convert a basic disk to RAID 1 and adding disk to an existing RAID 1 pool with mixed disks. It always ask for the identical disks (I forgot to take any screenshots). I don't have two identical disks to test it on that scenario.
  4. On the other side, CPU usage is lower compared when I run DS3615xs. But I made and booted the bootloader in two different ways may be the factor. I used docker build for DS3615xs and used Tinycore for DS3622xs+. I primarily run Adguard, Komga, and Shinobi CCTV with 5-6 camera streams, all in docker, beside file serving.
  5. Updating DSM didn't work and leads to infinite recovery.
  6. No system crashes or pool drop in this timeframe (configured in RAID 1 with mixed brand of 3TB HDD).

TL;DR: Migration went smoothly, boot takes longer, don't do any updates yet, and check your disks upon pool creation.

Generally speaking, i saw less cpu and ram usage compared with DS3617xs 6.2 loader and system 
You can overcome disk warning writing your disk model and serial number into synology db 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 11:11 AM, synoxpe said:

Anyone got the Virtual Machine Manager to boot a Windows VM on ds3622xs+? I'm on a bare metal installation and when I power the VM on, I see the Windows logo appearing very shortly followed by a blank screen with a blinking cursor. Nothing happens further.

@yanjun perhaps you've tested this?

Edit: system is too slow and I was being impatient. Working now :)

Nopes, the blinking cursor is back. Not able to boot from either windows or linux isos

Il y a 13 heures, synoxpe a dit :

Nopes, the blinking cursor is back. Not able to boot from either windows or linux isos

I have this Ds3622xs+ on a baremetal (old cpu intel quad 9550 with 8Gb RAM) since 2 days. No prob with windows 7 x64 VM (no uefi bios), no prob with docker.

7 hours ago, FredT85 said:

I have this Ds3622xs+ on a baremetal (old cpu intel quad 9550 with 8Gb RAM) since 2 days. No prob with windows 7 x64 VM (no uefi bios), no prob with docker.

Something must be wrong with my install then. Blinking cursor is where I’m stuck. For Ubuntu I get a funny logo at the bottom of the screen and things don’t proceed further.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 6:09 AM, Orphée said:

In DSM I only have partial SMART data working.
At disk level, click on smart, and the 5 lines are only : -
No temp, no error number...

Then in S.M.A.R.T menu advanced/detailed, there, yes, SMART data appears.

Both with ESXi and Proxmox. Using LSI 9207-8i.

image.png.663675fddd0f543fbd1354677c8aa7b7.thumb.png.ff502fa7d2cf06fdef8afff62ceb8300.png

Seeing the same thing here with a LSI SAS 9207-8i, running on Baremetal.  Any idea how to fix it or if it's even possible ?

I should note, I also have two NVMe drives for SSD caching and I don't see the info on the first page for them either, I do see smart data in the smart attribute section.  These NVMe drives are connected directly to the motherboard.

Screenshot 2022-04-05 224822.png

Screenshot 2022-04-05 224850.png

Screenshot 2022-04-05 224945.png

I have another of these cards in an ESX host with passthrough to a 3622xs+ VM and don't see smart data on the overview page there either.  I also have a NVMe drive (connected to motherboard) and passthrough to the VM and I don't see smart for that either on the overview page, so I don't believe it's a HBA controller issue.

Edited by irishj

14 hours ago, irishj said:

Seeing the same thing here with a LSI SAS 9207-8i, running on Baremetal.  Any idea how to fix it or if it's even possible ?

I should note, I also have two NVMe drives for SSD caching and I don't see the info on the first page for them either, I do see smart data in the smart attribute section.  These NVMe drives are connected directly to the motherboard.

Screenshot 2022-04-05 224822.png

Screenshot 2022-04-05 224850.png

Screenshot 2022-04-05 224945.png

I have another of these cards in an ESX host with passthrough to a 3622xs+ VM and don't see smart data on the overview page there either.  I also have a NVMe drive (connected to motherboard) and passthrough to the VM and I don't see smart for that either on the overview page, so I don't believe it's a HBA controller issue.

I'm using a flashed DELL H710 which I believe is the same or similar to the LSI HBA and I noticed this same issue with both baremetal and ESX build for 7.01 on 3622xs+.  DS3615 didn't have this issue on the same machines.

Upgrading to 7.1 fixed this issue for me.

2 hours ago, turbo21psi said:

I'm using a flashed DELL H710 which I believe is the same or similar to the LSI HBA and I noticed this same issue with both baremetal and ESX build for 7.01 on 3622xs+.  DS3615 didn't have this issue on the same machines.

Upgrading to 7.1 fixed this issue for me.

Thanks for your reply.  Can you explain any steps which should be followed when upgrading to 7.1 ?  Normal update via the Syno GUI....anything to do in Redpill loader afterward ?

** EDIT **

Found the upgrade info in another post and successfully upgraded to 7.1 RC !

Smart data is now shown for HDD/SSD, nice :)

Edited by irishj
new content

On 4/6/2022 at 11:25 PM, irishj said:

Thanks for your reply.  Can you explain any steps which should be followed when upgrading to 7.1 ?  Normal update via the Syno GUI....anything to do in Redpill loader afterward ?

** EDIT **

Found the upgrade info in another post and successfully upgraded to 7.1 RC !

Smart data is now shown for HDD/SSD, nice :)

Please forget the postupdate action with dsm 7.1 RC.

Two Step Update from dsm 7.1 (two-time build method)
I decided to make a unified guide to

This Two Step Update also supports updates from dsm 7.0.1 to dsm 7.1
It also supports first-time users of dsm 7.1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Baremetal instalation
Intel® Core™ i5-650 Processor, Clarkdale
2 SATA Ports, 1 eSATA. Only one SSD connected to SATA Port1
AHCI
DS3622xs+, broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661
Error: "Something went wrong", "We've detected errors on the hard drives (2,3), and the SATA ports have also been disabled. Please shut down your DS3622xs+ to replace or remove the hard drives and try again"
Tried SataPortMap=6 (tool recommendation), 5,4,3,2,1. None seem to work
Latest cmdline with SataPortMap=3 : BOOT_IMAGE=/zImage withefi syno_hw_version=DS3622xs+ console=ttyS0,115200n8 netif_num=5 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 mac1=4487FCFC4653 sn=20C0SQRGEY5JA HddHotplug=0 DiskIdxMap=00 syno_hdd_detect=0 vender_format_version=2 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 root=/dev/md0 SataPortMap=3
junior_reason = Exit on error [12] No raid status in path /sys/block/md0/md/array_state, go to junior mode...

Any help? @flyride, @pocopico

Edited by lcpm

Something is inconsistent with your system description and what satamap sees for ports.  What motherboard make and model specifically?

What does ls -la /sys/block say from TinyCore?

If SataPortMap=1 there are no drives 2,3.  So something else is happening.

5 hours ago, flyride said:

Something is inconsistent with your system description and what satamap sees for ports.  What motherboard make and model specifically?

What does ls -la /sys/block say from TinyCore?

If SataPortMap=1 there are no drives 2,3.  So something else is happening.

Thanks for the reply!

I went back and retried everything, I was able to use SataPortMap=1 to install DSM, then once installed I switched it to SataPortMap=2 to have a disk I was migrating from 6.x and it worked. Now trying to fix what seems like connectivity issues, getting errors related to not being able to connect to the internet.

The computer is an old Thinkcenter M90P (3269)

• Like 1

Any chance of some insight into why my NICs don't show up after TCRP boot up?

Motherboard which used with Jun's mod and had no issues.: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SDV-TLN4F-O D-1541 (2 x 10 GbE LAN & 2 x Intel i350-AM2 GbE LAN)

After booting up, everything looks fine except I can't get a network connection.

The process I used is below:

./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh fullupgrade now
./rploader.sh identifyusb now
./rploader.sh serialgen DS3622xs+ realmac now

At this point I edited user_config.json to add additional 3 NICs before continuing.

./rploader.sh satamap
./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661

On 3/17/2022 at 9:15 PM, synoxpe said:

I think I had the same thing. If you edit the CPU in the VM and check the compatibility mode option, does that work?

On 6/7/2022 at 7:45 PM, trublu said:

Motherboard which used with Jun's mod and had no issues.: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SDV-TLN4F-O D-1541 (2 x 10 GbE LAN & 2 x Intel i350-AM2 GbE LAN)

After booting up, everything looks fine except I can't get a network connection.

./rploader.sh update now

At this point I edited user_config.json to add additional 3 NICs before continuing.

./rploader.sh satamap

Having the same issue here with since loader version 8.0.0 on baremetal - X540 Intel 10G NIC's or Onboard I219-V Intel NIC work fine in TC and get an IP, but after booting the loader is not being detected on the network.  Same box on previous loader versions worked fine.  Basically followed the same commands as you did, tried multiple different usb sticks, re-build the loader many times, tried BIOS / UEFI modes, disabled VT-D, added only one NIC MAC and no dice.

On 6/8/2022 at 5:53 PM, irishj said:

Having the same issue here with since loader version 8.0.0 on baremetal - X540 Intel 10G NIC's or Onboard I219-V Intel NIC work fine in TC and get an IP, but after booting the loader is not being detected on the network.  Same box on previous loader versions worked fine.  Basically followed the same commands as you did, tried multiple different usb sticks, re-build the loader many times, tried BIOS / UEFI modes, disabled VT-D, added only one NIC MAC and no dice.

Were you able to get 7.1 installed with a previous TCRP boot loader?

On 6/7/2022 at 1:45 PM, trublu said:

./rploader.sh update now

./rploader.sh satamap

On 6/8/2022 at 4:53 PM, irishj said:

Are you guys adding "netif_num=2" or however many nics you have, entry  properly to the user_config.json before building command? The only other piece of advice is verify the nic in question (not showing up) is not listed as being on the USB bus with lspci (it might be lspci -nnq)

I have a Nas box with 2 internal nic, 1 worked 1 didnt. Turned out 1 was attached to USB bus not the pci bus. Then after getting the driver to work the issue was dsm won't see hardly anything on a USB bus anymore since dsm7 and I had to use a patched driver for that onboard nic because they (manufacture) ran it through the USB bus ..

Good luck[][