XPEnology Community

syslinux version chain.c32 libcom32.c32 to boot windows

twinkie

Hello,

i would like to modify syslinux.cfg and add menu to be able have option to boot Windows 10/7 from another disk on xpenoboot.

The problem is that syslinux need same version of chain.c32 and libcom32.c32 to load. On original distribution of xpenoboot those library files are missing.

I am unable to identify which version of syslinux is used on xpenoboot.

I mean to add something like this

label Windows

menu label Windows 10

MENU INDENT 1

COM32 chain.c32 fs ntldr=/bootmgr

Thanks for any advice.

You could get the latest syslinux version src code, compile it and make a new iso or img based on the files from a xpenoboot release (zimage and isolinux.cfg).

After compiling the source the files you will need to copy to your work dir are isolinux.bin, ldlinux.c32, libutil.c32, menu.c32, chain.c32 and libcom32.c32.

The command to build iso is:

mkisofs -o new_iso_with_windows_boot.iso -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -input-charset utf-8 path_to_folder/with_xpeno_and/above_mentioned_files/

Thank you for quick reply but I am not as good in those things. It means install linux first somewhere, download all the compilers. Sounds like hours of work and I basically need just a few files you mentioned.

You need some sort of linux distro to build the iso. I unfortunately can not make the iso for you, since I am on a really low bandwidth sat connection.

If you use a debian or debian derived (ubuntu..) distro then installing these packages should suffice:

apt-get install libc6-i386 build-essentials libncurses5-dev nasm uuid-dev

Afterwards download the src code for syslinux, extract, open a terminal and use this command to compile the code:

make -C path/to/extracted/source/

Afterwards find the files you need in the bios folder and its sub-folders, copy them to a work folder and use the command I wrote in my previous post.

• 1 month later...

I solved it by downloading latest binary from syslinux and then throw away binary on usb and created completely new usb from binaries on distribution and then transfereed zImage and syconfig.cfg. Also added config lines to boot windows

LABEL boot_hd1

MENU LABEL HD1 Windows

COM32 chain.c32

APPEND hd1

LABEL boot_hd2

MENU LABEL HD2 Windows

COM32 chain.c32

APPEND hd2

LABEL boot_hd3

MENU LABEL HD3 Windows

COM32 chain.c32

APPEND hd3