XPEnology Community

Any easy way to identify HDDs on custom hardware?

spyrule

Hey guys,

I'm running 5.2-5644 u 8 on a Dell PE2950 hardware. Its been running great, except one of my hdd's received a bad sectors error, but the NAS recovered from it. The drive is currently operating "normally" but these are older WD Green Desktop harddrives (that I fully planned to replace as I had money for replacement drives). I have some replacement hard drives in my hands now to replace the bad drive, except they are numbered Disk 3 through 8 (6 disks total). I don't know how to identify the initial problematic drive without physically pulling them. Is there a command line util to make the hdd controller set the drive as degraded/shutdown ?

You can see the disk serial number in DSM, find the harddisk with errors. Then write down the serial, power down the server, find the harddrive using the serial  (it's written on the drive), pull them out one by one. Once you've found the faulty drive, take it out and boot the machine. YOUR RAID WILL NOW BE DEGRADED.  

Shutdown the server again, attach the new drive boot, repair,  done.

As always, make sure you have backups.

Posted via Xpenology.us

Don't know why shutting down didn't occur to me. Luckily, most of my NAS is backed up daily via Crashplan.

Luckily, I was able to find my original setup notes where I identified each drive by serial # against the physical drive cage # (and slot its in). I just had to go digging for those notes.

I was hoping to be able to identify the drives via Lights, but I guess manual control is my best long term option.