XPEnology Community

Foxconn 2ABF motherboard

Eliy1970

21 hours ago, Eliy1970 said:

help please? If you can give me direction which Loader to choose and DSM version

how about the tutorial section?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

sandy bridge cpu, so 918+ is no option for you

3617 might be a good choice, newer drivers in dsm default and in 7.0 it gets the new 4.4 kernel (instead of 3.10)

nic is kind of exotic, i guess its this one

https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/10ec/8171

you can try a extended driver set from here but i guess it will not work

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

i'd suggest a separate 1G pcie nic (realtek 8168 or better intel)

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 7:04 PM, Eliy1970 said:

the network card to HP NC360T, what do you think will work?

Or this

the HP is known to work even with the drivers synology has in its dsm, kind of safest choice possible

2nd one quad might work too but imho overkill and will add unnecessary power consunmtion

when considering high speed it should be 10G (with its 2.5/5G options)

the realtek 2.5G nic would be possible with kernel 4.4 systems and with you cpu that would only go for 3617 dsm 7.0 (repill/tinycore loader)

Edited by IG-88

I was able to install the system with Jun's Loader v1.02b,
DSM_DS3617xs_15047
The version according to the Info Center DSM 6.1-15047 and now wants to upgrade to DSM 6.2.4-25556

Of course I did not make any upgrades to the system !!!

The question is will this be the latest version that can be upgraded (currently with the original NC) and if I install an HP NC360T will it be possible to upgrade to a more advanced version?

ver.thumb.PNG.d17362113ef48790f32e71b84e23c55e.PNG

Edited by Eliy1970

55 minutes ago, Eliy1970 said:

The question is will this be the latest version that can be upgraded (currently with the original NC) and if I install an HP NC360T will it be possible to upgrade to a more advanced version?

6.1 is a different loader and kernel version, nothing will match when going go 6.2

please do a "sudo lspci -v" and look for the network device (class 0200), post that here so we can see its pci id und sub id and what driver is used

if the onboard nic works with loader/driver from 6.1 there is no reason it should not work in 6.2 if we use the right driver, maybe i missed something when going from 6.1 to 6.2 (in theory all thing working in 6.1 should do in 6.2)

if you install the HP nic you can just update to 6.2.3 and use loader 1.03b, if the onboard nic is not recognised you still have 2 ports of the nic with a working driver

First, thank you so much for your generous help

Where to type sudo lspci -v command? Should I log in via PuTTY and then type the command or through the web interface?

updating:
I think I succeeded, let me know if you meant it

0000:03:00.0 Class 0200: Device 10ec:8168 (rev 06)
        Subsystem: Device 103c:2abf
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 42
        I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
        Memory at f7c04000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Memory at f7c00000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 01
        Capabilities: [b0] MSI-X: Enable- Count=4 Masked-
        Capabilities: [d0] Vital Product Data
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel
        Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 02-00-00-00-68-4c-e0-00
        Kernel driver in use: r8168

1.txt

Edited by Eliy1970

2 hours ago, Eliy1970 said:

0000:03:00.0 Class 0200: Device 10ec:8168 (rev 06)
        Subsystem: Device 103c:2abf
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 42
        I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
        Memory at f7c04000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Memory at f7c00000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 01
        Capabilities: [b0] MSI-X: Enable- Count=4 Masked-
        Capabilities: [d0] Vital Product Data
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel
        Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 02-00-00-00-68-4c-e0-00
        Kernel driver in use: r8168

that look like a normal realtek 8168 and it should work with loader 1.03b/104b, that driver is part of jun's default driver set in all three loaders for 6.2

with that sub id i also found this

https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?probe=79b097f13a

(r8169 is the default kernel.org driver name where realtek has r8168 and a different r8169 driver on there website for downloading as source)

you can try risk free if that works for you by using any usb flash drive and put loader 1.03b on it and just boot the system with it, check if you can find it in network that way (as long as you dont want to install dsm you don't have to care about the usb vid/pid in grub.cfg that only will be important when installing a dsm *.pat file)

if that works out you could correct vid/pid for that flash drive (mac is just for wake on lan use or convince), boot it again and install a downloaded 6.2.3 *.pat file

https://archive.synology.com/download/Os/DSM/6.2.3-25426

it should update the already installed 6.1 to 6.2.3 and usually it also installs the latest update in that process, in this case u3 that can also be downloaded separately for offline use (https://archive.synology.com/download/Os/DSM/6.2.3-25426-3), thats as fas as it goes with jun's loader, 6.2.4 und 7.0 need new loaders

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

26 минут назад, IG-88 сказал:

that look like a normal realtek 8168 and it should work with loader 1.03b/104b

Hello, I have a PC (HP Pavilion p6-2065ru) on the same motherboard (Foxconn 2ABF). Realtek RTL8168/8111 network card. Loader 1.03b does not start from under BIOS/CSM only, gives ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed. It starts only from under UEFI, but it freezes there without being determined on the network.

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

that look like a normal realtek 8168 and it should work with loader 1.03b/104b, that driver is part of jun's default driver set in all three loaders for 6.2

with that sub id i also found this

https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?probe=79b097f13a

(r8169 is the default kernel.org driver name where realtek has r8168 and a different r8169 driver on there website for downloading as source)

you can try risk free if that works for you by using any usb flash drive and put loader 1.03b on it and just boot the system with it, check if you can find it in network that way (as long as you dont want to install dsm you don't have to care about the usb vid/pid in grub.cfg that only will be important when installing a dsm *.pat file)

if that works out you could correct vid/pid for that flash drive (mac is just for wake on lan use or convince), boot it again and install a downloaded 6.2.3 *.pat file

https://archive.synology.com/download/Os/DSM/6.2.3-25426

it should update the already installed 6.1 to 6.2.3 and usually it also installs the latest update in that process, in this case u3 that can also be downloaded separately for offline use (https://archive.synology.com/download/Os/DSM/6.2.3-25426-3), thats as fas as it goes with jun's loader, 6.2.4 und 7.0 need new loaders

IG-88 I forgot to mention that I initially tried to work with Jun's
Loader v1.03b with both DS3617xs and DS3615xs and it is not found on find.synology.com and not with Synology Assistant and for this reason I switched to v1.02b

Do you think it's still worth trying to switch to 1.03b or 1.04b?

I also ordered the network card from eBay which should arrive in the coming weeks

1 hour ago, Eliy1970 said:

Do you think it's still worth trying to switch to 1.03b or 1.04b?

1.04b is not working with sandy bridge cpu's, the possible reason why 1.03b failed might be CSM mode in bios or wrong boot device, when csm is active you usually see the usb boote device more then once, its one for uefi and one for csm/legacy mode, you need to choose the legacy usb device (depending on bios you can also disable uefi device at all or change priority to the legacy)

if you press F9 on HP systems you see a selection of boot devices, check that after activating csm mode

you can see the differences here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

some HP system need a MBR type loader, its also woth a try if csm and the legacy boot device do not fix it, its most likely not the network driver, the one in loader 1.02b is even older then the one in 1.03b

look here for MBR (converted) loader

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/98-member-tweaked-loaders/

2 hours ago, k1go said:

Hello, I have a PC (HP Pavilion p6-2065ru) on the same motherboard (Foxconn 2ABF). Realtek RTL8168/8111 network card. Loader 1.03b does not start from under BIOS/CSM only, gives ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed. It starts only from under UEFI, but it freezes there without being determined on the network.

if it freezes or if its a driver problem can only be "seen" when using a serial attached console on com1 on the system you install to (null modem cable)

i guess its the same as above, CSM is only a option if you boot from the uefi usb device then it will be in uefi mode and 1.03b does not work in uefi

if it would be a MBR loader problem then i guess it would not work with 1.02b, in that case you would need MBR loader with 1.02b too, so its most likely the wrong usb boot device - try with F9 so see the selection on boot (i had different HP systems over the years so i know some of the quirks like MBR first hand)

if the boot device does not work try the same with MBR loader

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

1.04b is not working with sandy bridge cpu's, the possible reason why 1.03b failed might be CSM mode in bios or wrong boot device, when csm is active you usually see the usb boote device more then once, its one for uefi and one for csm/legacy mode, you need to choose the legacy usb device (depending on bios you can also disable uefi device at all or change priority to the legacy)

if you press F9 on HP systems you see a selection of boot devices, check that after activating csm mode

you can see the differences here:

some HP system need a MBR type loader, its also woth a try if csm and the legacy boot device do not fix it, its most likely not the network driver, the one in loader 1.02b is even older then the one in 1.03b

look here for MBR (converted) loader

if it freezes or if its a driver problem can only be "seen" when using a serial attached console on com1 on the system you install to (null modem cable)

i guess its the same as above, CSM is only a option if you boot from the uefi usb device then it will be in uefi mode and 1.03b does not work in uefi

if it would be a MBR loader problem then i guess it would not work with 1.02b, in that case you would need MBR loader with 1.02b too, so its most likely the wrong usb boot device - try with F9 so see the selection on boot (i had different HP systems over the years so i know some of the quirks like MBR first hand)

if the boot device does not work try the same with MBR loader

This is the boot order that appears on my computer when I press F9
Do you think UEFI Boot Sources should be turned off?

222.thumb.jpeg.8d6c54049de92dda644352b091123cf9.jpeg

This is the boot order that appears on my computer when I press F9
Do you think UEFI Boot Sources should be turned off?

yes that would be the permanent solution, after doing that 1.03b should boot properly and should be found in network

(that the way i'm doing right now with a hp prodesk 400 g2 i use for testing baremetal installs)

Edited by IG-88

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

yes that would be the permanent solution, after doing that 1.03b should boot properly and should be found in network

(that the way i'm doing right now with a hp prodesk 400 g2 i use for testing baremetal installs)

Should the process of burning the file in UEFI or Legacy boot be different, because in RUFUS I do not see that it is possible to change boot modes

Usually in a standard installation of Windows there is an option to choose but here there is no option, is this normal?2222.PNG.fa00caf31305a4216190eed6ad3b9984.PNG

Edited by Eliy1970

Should the process of burning the file in UEFI or Legacy boot be different, because in RUFUS I do not see that it is possible to change boot modes

Usually in a standard installation of Windows there is an option to choose but here there is no option, is this normal?

the only thing you need to do ist di disable uefi boot in bios and transfer the img file to usb as you did with 1.02b

the loader itself is GPT and some computer dont like that in CSM mode and want a MBR loader, often seen with HP desktop systems (its that way with my HP Prodesk 400 G2)

so check out the link from above and try the MBR 1.03b loader too, the loader (files) are all the same its just a different format

as the bios looks the same as mine i guess you might need the MBR converted loader instead of the normal (GPT)

3 hours ago, Eliy1970 said:

@ IG-88 I plan to add this card to the server to increase the amount of SATA connections I need, do you think there might be a problem identifying the card in the system?

just from the picture - looks not promising as its just a pcie 1x card and having that much sata ports just on one pcie lane (in you case with sandy bridge its just pcie 2.0 and thats 500MB/s)

important to know is that dsm does not support port multiplier (synology diaabled that on purpose)

the spec on the webpage you link delivers enough information how its done (there is no single chip pcie to sata with that much ports)

ASMedia1064 + JMB575 * 2
1st is a 4port, pcie 2.0 chip, the other two are portmultiplier

so usable with dsm would only be 4 ports of the 12 (und ypu will need to find out by testing what ports are the working one, the 1st port each multipliter chip will only be working in dsm)

i did write some information about possible good candidates here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/35882-new-sataahci-cards-with-more-then-4-ports-and-no-sata-multiplexer/

bu keep in mind you board seems only to support pcie 2.0 and even with two lanes that would be max. 1000MB/s, when using ssd's thats barely enough for 2 disks, so dont expect to much from cheaper ahci controllers

, I wanted to ask is this card or this (PCIE-4X 6SATA) better than the previous card?

yes thats 6 real ahci/sata ports and will work as expected but as your system seems only to have pcie 2.0 it will only have 1000MB/s with its two pcie lanes

if you use any ssd you should connect then to the onboard sata ports, normal cmr disks aka hdd's there would be a little loss when connecting all 6 ports with disks but most disk dont read/write more then 250MB/s  so the loss will be not that much  and in most situations the low iops of conventional disks migt limit more then the r/w speed (in most cases the 1Gbit/s nic limits the speed of the nas with its ~110MB/s)

only downside with the asm1166 card i have was that it reserved more then 32 sata ports, does not matter as long as you dont add  more sata cards, i used two jmb585 based card to extend my own system, i have not used my asm1166 card for more then testing so i can't say much about long term use

in general asm1166 and jmb585 cards are a step forward because of using pcie 3.0 (compared to asm10xx or marvel 88se92xx)

14 часа назад, IG-88 сказал:

Некоторым системам HP нужен загрузчик типа MBR, он также может попробовать, если CSM и устаревшее загрузочное устройство не исправляют его, скорее всего, это не сетевой драйвер, тот, который в загрузчике 1.02b даже старше, чем в 1.03b

посмотрите здесь на MBR (преобразованный) загрузчик

Загрузчик DSM 6.2.3 не обновляется до DSM 7.0?

IG-88 

Unfortunately everything I tried did not work, when I canceled the UEFI boot and left the Legacy boot I got an error message "This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system System halted"
297321464_WhatsAppImage2022-02-13at16_12.42(1).thumb.jpeg.ad1316bb9fca81d034108cc2b4a01958.jpeg

And when I started UEFI without disabling Legacy the file went up properly but the system was not found by find.synology.com and not with Synology Assistant

When I burned DSM 6.2.3 Loader (with MBR partition Table) for DS3617xs and also MBR Bootloader for DSM 6.2 (I disabled UEFI boot and left Legacy) the system booted properly but was not detected by find.synology.com and not with Synology Assistant

298962426_WhatsAppImage2022-02-13at16_12_41.thumb.jpeg.e67416d25e5c81a3ac83b7459a3db85f.jpeg

Can't find any way to load Jun's Loader v1.03b and have the system correctly detected

Edited by Eliy1970

14 minutes ago, Eliy1970 said:

Unfortunately everything I tried did not work, when I canceled the UEFI boot and left the Legacy boot I got an error message "This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system System halted"

might be something that came from your disk as the usb was ignored for booting (gpt usb device in csm/legacy mode in HP)

15 minutes ago, Eliy1970 said:

When I burned DSM 6.2.3 Loader (with MBR partition Table) for DS3617xs and also MBR Bootloader for DSM 6.2 (I disabled UEFI boot and left Legacy) the system booted properly but was not detected by find.synology.com and not with Synology Assistant

you can try to add a extended driver set from here (replace the extra.lzma in the usb's 2nd partition)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

but i dont think there will be a difference, jun's r8168 driver was working in general and a slightly newer one might not be a difference

if that does not work you can use 6.1 for a while and update later (if there is any need) or look into redpill/tinycore (atm in developer section as its still work in progress), the created loaders seem to be MBR so the should work with you HP system