XPEnology Community

Dual Channel RAM or not?

ilciumbia

Hello,

I am wondering if, for a system based on the N3150 or N3700, it makes a huge difference to have single channel or dual channel memory. I am planning to buy 8 GB for my XPEnology station, the question is: 2x4 or 1x8? Of course 2x4 would be better, however one single 8 GB module is more "recyclable" shoud I realise that I need more memory (maybe for virtualization): I could simply add one more module, while if I buy now 2x4 I would need to replace both, and recycling 2x4 GB modules might be a little harder.

Or is 2x2GB enough? :smile:

Thanks!

Hello,

thanks for your replies. In fact I am still undecided: I am trying to choose between the N3700M (mATX) and the N3150-ITX. The former has 3 free PCIe slots, but only 2 SATA ports on board, so I would need to install 2 PCIe SATA controllers to reach 10 SATA ports (8 needed at the moment), plus 1 empty slot for a possible GBE card for redundancy/link aggregation on Ethernet. The 3150-ITX, on the other hand, has 4 SATA ports but only one PCIe slot, plus a miniPCIe, for which exist GBE cards but it is unknown (to me!) if they will work... And then there is the memory thing... but I like the ITX form factor! :smile:

Are there any PCIe x1 SATA controller cards which carry more than 4 ports which are known to work with XPEnology? And mPCIe GBE network cards?

Thanks!