XPEnology Community

Intel core Duo

Ilfe98

Hello guys,

I have been trying xpenology for about a year with a baremetal installation. However the installation hardware is dated so the last release I was able to install is 6.0. I open this topic to ask you, could I solve this problem by reinstalling the operating system on Esxi with DSM 7? Since I had provisional disks, I would take the opportunity to configure the 2 new Ironwolf in raid 1, having done the online backup I would be able to recover all the files and folders despite the fact that there will no longer be 2 volumes but only the ironwolf raid?

3 hours ago, Ilfe98 said:

However the installation hardware is dated so the last release I was able to install is 6.0. I open this topic to ask you, could I solve this problem by reinstalling the operating system on Esxi with DSM 7?

dsm bare metal 6.1/6.2/7.0 might depend on the chipset and bios options, older cpu should work with 3615/17

so whats the board/chipset?

if you want to make a estimate yourself, https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SATA_hardware_features

if it supports ahci and can be switched to native mode in bios then newer dsm versions should be fine (main problem is syno's kernel source braking other pata_*.ko and sata_*.ko drivers (dont compile anymore) and no one with enough knowledge fixed that

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9508-driver-extension-jun-102bdsm61x-for-3615xs-3617xs-916/

"... !!!all sata_* and pata_* drivers are still not working because of the kernel source changes Synology did (same as in kernel 3.10.102 used and modded by Synology), as long as no one writes a patch for this I can use to fix this, it will stay this way !!! ..."

using esxi might be possible in theory as vt-x seems to be supported by 2006-2007 core duo, but i guess it will have terrible performance and usually older systems dont have that much ram so that might be a limit too

you might find better hardware in any desktop computer thrown out in most places