XPEnology Community

RT1900ac Router???

knightbird

I know its a stretch... but is there a chance anyone is working on (or might work on) doing something with the RT1900ac Router ??? I would LOVE to run this in a VM on my home ESX server!

The synology interface is great and they have added lots of features to this router.. I know it wouldn't work exactly like the firmware device, and we would loose all wifi function, but the ROUTER functions would be cool to play with in a virtual environment.. It uses a standard .pat....

https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/RT1900ac

https://www.synology.com/en-global/supp ... d/RT1900ac

Just curious!

Thanks! Love what you guys have done!

RT1900ac has a different cpu architecture, so you can't run it directly on a pc like you can with DSM.

I'm guessing that is part of why the OP mentioned a VM. In a VM it should be possible.

It's not the same thing as XPEnology though IMO. With XPEnology someone can take an older system and have a superior solution (not to mention cheaper) then an actual Synology hardware based solution. I have a Synology DSM1815+ which I purchased at or near the going MSRP which means it wasn't cheap and it's not necessarily better then a XPEnology solution. I also have a Synology RT1900ac.

The Synology RT1900ac isn't expensive IMO at ~$150 and there is little to no real benefit in replicating the OS in the same way as XPEnology.

It would be fun to see though.

RT1900ac has a different cpu architecture, so you can't run it directly on a pc like you can with DSM.

I'm guessing that is part of why the OP mentioned a VM. In a VM it should be possible.

It's not the same thing as XPEnology though IMO. With XPEnology someone can take an older system and have a superior solution (not to mention cheaper) then an actual Synology hardware based solution. I have a Synology DSM1815+ which I purchased at or near the going MSRP which means it wasn't cheap and it's not necessarily better then a XPEnology solution. I also have a Synology RT1900ac.

The Synology RT1900ac isn't expensive IMO at ~$150 and there is little to no real benefit in replicating the OS in the same way as XPEnology.

Yes, but not on ESX as specifically mentioned by OP. Something like QEMU should be able to handle it, but its probably going to crawl once you hit it with a real traffic. CPU emulation of different architecture is very costly resource-wise. It would, however, be interesting to see if anyone makes it possible to run SRM on some different brand router that has similar hardware.

Yes, but not on ESX as specifically mentioned by OP. Something like QEMU should be able to handle it, but its probably going to crawl once you hit it with a real traffic. CPU emulation of different architecture is very costly resource-wise. It would, however, be interesting to see if anyone makes it possible to run SRM on some different brand router that has similar hardware.

Yes absolutely,...

It would also be interesting to see where Synology will go from here. What I mean by that is the idea of a hybrid Synology brand product including router functionality, Wireless access point functionally and typical NAS functionality would be unique to the market. The RT1900ac already has this functionality basically but to expand it to a 2 bay, 4 bay, 8 bay or more solution with an x86 / x64 processor and better storage management would be great. I don't see anything stopping Synology from exploring this. Hybridizing SRM with DSM in new products also makes it easier for the XPEnology initiative to make use of it.

Still as it stands now, the RT1900ac is relatively cheap and is a good solution on its own. If one want's Synology SRM then simply buying the router is likely the best option. Its not like it cost as much as a halfway decent Synology NAS like the DS3615xs.

I don't really think that there is a need for that software to be extracted out.

First of all running VM with different architecture means pure software emulation, performance won't be great.

Second thing is, there are plenty of great Firewall OS, and a number of them are Open Source + having better feature (with Xpenology I guess you won't need another storage sharing on top of firewall, right?), right now I am using a FreeBSD based firewall OS named pfSense, which is doing much better job than the RT1900ac's OS (I deployed pfSense with bare metal install in a dedicated machine and able to serve 150-200 ppl with dual WAN load balancing.)