XPEnology Community

Recovering a nas

disneysw

My NAS is running OK for basics like file sharing and the admin page but some of the additional services such as sshd and webservices fail to start automatically. If I log in and disable/re-enable them will work until I re-boot the device.

I have tried:

a) Restoring a known working configuration but that did not solve the problem.

b) I also looked through the logs but did not found anything that looked significant.

c) I removed nearly every add-on package. Which lead to the discovery that the directory /var/run/postgres was missing which stopped a few of the add-on packages from being re-installed. But this had no impact on the initial problem.

So at this point I figure I need to re-install the base OS.

The issue I currently have is the Assistant app no longer finds this DiskStation (it does find another unit on the same network).

Does anyone which service/protocol is used for auto discovery by the assistant and how to manually re-enable it?

Alternatively are there any built-in recovery tools to help recover the system?

I am running the latest xpeboot and service packs.

Think your right but reinstalling did not solve the problem.

It looks like my boot process is not starting all of the necessary services but I have not been able to determine why this is the case.

I did find out why the assistant was not finding the box. One of the start-up processes should have been "/usr/syno/bin/findhostd". It is not being started – manually starting it temporarily fixed that problem (at least until I do a restart).

This also explains why my postgress was not starting since one of the start-up scripts creates the "/var/run/postgresql" directory which is necessary for the postgress service to start.

However my init and rc.d directories seem fine. I have come to the conclusion one of the start-up services/scripts must be hanging and blocking everything that is supposed to run after it.

It would help if there was a description of units boot process. It seems convoluted compared to most Linux boxes or perhaps I just don’t know which are real start-up files vs those which are system backup copies!