XPEnology Community

Advice on small pc

siri_uk

Hi guys 

I'm looking at getting a usff pc to hopefully run as a backup to my main xpenology system to connect external usb and upgrading the internal drive to 8TB, my choices are :-

Intel NUC5i3RYH Intel Core i3-5010U 2.10GHz 8GB DDR3 250GB SSD

HP 260 G2 USFF i5 6TH GEN 2.3GHz 8GB RAM 120GB SSD HDD

Fujitsu Esprimo Q520 Core i5-4590T Quad 8GB 500GB

I'd appreciate any help

TIA

On 1/27/2022 at 4:10 PM, siri_uk said:

'm looking at getting a usff pc to hopefully run as a backup to my main xpenology system to connect external usb and upgrading the internal drive to 8TB

usb drives can't be part of volumes in dsm, they are meant to be used as local backup or additional share (without and redundancy)

depending of "backup" you might hit a limit with a system only capable of having lets say 2 disks (nvme does not count as "disk" as dsm only can use them as cache drives)

nuc's a usually a bad choice as they only can handle up to two 2.5" drives and there a no 8TB hdd's with CMR to fit in 2.5" slots (maybe you will find a ssd but i dont thing you want to spend that amount of money)

HP 260 G2 USFF - same problems as nuc, only 2 x 2.5" and nvme (you would even need two nvme's to have a cache with write capabilitys and with having just a 1G nic will render your nvme cache pointless as the nic limits the traffic to ~112 MB/s)

Fujitsu Esprimo Q520, same as above

only calculate sata ahci ports as usable, usb and nvme are not to integrate into a raid set (if you do that manually - even if its complicated but possible in some way - you might and with a broken raid every time you update anything on dsm, the whole point of easy of mind with dsm is gone that way)

imho you need to rethink your plan a come up with priority's like  noise lever, size of case and amount of disk space needed

for 2 x 8TB you need 3.5" hdd's and that makes it bigger an noisier then you initially planed

• Like 1