XPEnology Community

4.3 issues

VeNoM

@czgif

Yes the Scaleo server does have a COM port, that is what you would need to connect a terminal emulation program to for using a serial console. You will need to get a DB9 ribbon cable to connect it to the COM port header pins on the motherboard. This link has more info if needed.

http://ss4200.pbworks.com/w/page/5122741/Console%20Access%20via%20RS232

But the easiest and quickest way to get a console is to use a PCI-e 1x extension cable (source one from Ebay) and simply connect it to a regular low power video card, along with using a usb keyboard of course.

Also, if you plan to use the IDE port with a DOM module for booting, make sure you use Trantor's updated synoboot file that enables the PATA_LEGACY module needed for that server.

Good Luck

LOL sounds like you need a gigabit switch

ALL devices ( Router, Switch, Ethernet nicks ) are running 1 Gbit with Cat5e cables

or a better internet connection

50/10 Mbit Cable Modem isn't good enough ??? do people really need to have Fiber 100/100 to support XPEnology ????

or some troubleshooting skills.

Yeah, true, i don't know much about Linux. So i guess you are right.

lag means your connection sucks

No it doesn't ... If my internet is pulled down by running XPEnology on the LAN, it means that its making too much noise on the Ethernet.

the DSM / Addons wasn't even setup to do anything on the internet :sad:

albiet ping times or you being on wifli

No i wasn't ... Gigabet cabled ethernet

or your server is downloading too much pr0n

no... i was playing Battlefield 3 as i wrote...

Hi

I have a question. How much is a challenging xpenology to the records ( log atc...) . I would like booting from USB flashcard and system installed on Compact Flash card ( 16Gb) in the PATA slot. SATA slot will be installed 4 pcs 3TB drive. How long live does compakt flash card? Do not destroy too many records? Thank you for your response.

Thank you czGif

Please excuse my complete lack of knowledge!!!

I am VERY new to all this, but I had the opportunity to purchase an N54L for a cheap price and got one! I have successfully installed DSM 4.3 (Thank you Trantor!!! :smile: ) very much appreciated.

I would like to be able to turn on my N54L via the DS Finder Android app (this is how I shut it down) and as I understand it this is possible with WOL?

I haven't a clue how to make this work and I have done some searching and reading on here (various how to's) but I'm still stuck due to my lack of know-how :oops: ! From what I can gather I need to know the actual MAC address of my N54L, how (in simple terms) do I find out what this is??

Many thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out!!

Zajímalo by mě, jaký bude život Compakt Flash Drive? Když je systém instalován na flash disk. Má někdo zkušenosti? A jak dlouho to bude fungovat?

by translator :smile: : I wonder what will be the life of the Compakt Flash Drive? When the system is installed on the flash drive. Has anyone had experience? And how long will it work?

I haven't a clue how to make this work and I have done some searching and reading on here (various how to's) but I'm still stuck due to my lack of know-how :oops: ! From what I can gather I need to know the actual MAC address of my N54L, how (in simple terms) do I find out what this is??

Many thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out!!

Boot the N54L and press F12 to access the BIOS settings. Press the down arrow a couple of times on the first page and it has the real MAC address listed.

I'm on 4.2 and want to update to 4.3 update 4, for the drivers. I've read about the procedure here.

Before I start I want to understand what I am doing. If I download the update through DSM, and not install it and then enter the provided code in Putty. Will it install the original synology?

What to do with the synoboot-3810-pre-v1.1_v4.img file and the 'modules' folder provided in the beta v4 download?

Correct path to upgrade would be (after backup) to replace the USB-drive with modified DSM4.3 (synoboot-3810-pre-v1.1_v4.img) first and perform "migration" using provided .pat file.

After successful migration to DSM43 and restoring your application and settings, follow instructions to "autoupdate" from DSM43 to autoupdate 4. That small autoupdate is done from the original synology site and doesn't replace your modified kernel.

Correct path to upgrade would be (after backup) to replace the USB-drive with modified DSM4.3 (synoboot-3810-pre-v1.1_v4.img) first and perform "migration" using provided .pat file.

After successful migration to DSM43 and restoring your application and settings, follow instructions to "autoupdate" from DSM43 to autoupdate 4. That small autoupdate is done from the original synology site and doesn't replace your modified kernel.

I would recommend NOT using the v4 beta as there is some bugs.... Use the v1.0 and then upgrade that one. :wink:

I would recommend NOT using the v4 beta as there is some bugs.... Use the v1.0 and then upgrade that one. :wink:

I agree, the synoboot version was brought up only to show where it fits (used) instead of original synology software as an example.

Unless specific hardware is not supported by v.1 and REQUIRED drivers included in betas, I would stay with final version.

Oke, thanks all. I'm interested in v3 and v4, because the FTDI drivers are provided. In that way I van use my Smartreader to read my cablecard.

hello,

How much disk space the system takes? I want to buy a quality CF card and the price depends on size. Just 4GB ?

thanks Gif

I own an old 128 MB CompactFlash card; the XPEnology boot-files (the . IMG-file) fits that 128 MB drive. However, with more hardware drivers included, the boot drive requirements could be increased to e.g. 256 MB or more. Note, many of the current Synology-products have a flash-drive for booting that is only 16 MB.

• 2 weeks later...

After update to 4.3 Update 4 (on Trantor's build), which went well on the whole, DSM cannot detect my USB printer, when I plug it. There's related messages in /var/log/messages, but nothing appeared in Control Panel / Devices and printers.

messages was like:

Feb  1 15:27:42 DiskStation hotplugd: usb_get_device_id.c:56 failed get usb id Vendor=0000, ProdID=0000, SN=0000:00:12.2
Feb  1 15:27:42 DiskStation hotplugd: hotplugd.c:1110 failed get usb device id from usb config, DEVICE=/proc/bus/usb/000/000
Feb  1 15:27:42 DiskStation hotplugd: ##### ACTION:remove
Feb  1 15:27:42 DiskStation hotplugd: DEVNAME:lp0
Feb  1 15:27:42 DiskStation hotplugd: DEVICE:/proc/bus/usb/000/000
Feb  1 15:27:42 DiskStation hotplugd: DEVPATH:lp0
Feb  1 15:27:42 DiskStation hotplugd: SUBSYSTEM:usb
Feb  1 15:27:42 DiskStation hotplugd: PHYSDEVPATH:/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.0/usb5/5-1/5-1:1.0
Feb  1 15:27:42 DiskStation synoprint: printer_cups_printer_rm.c:37 cannot find cups printer name, printer=03f0:c302:TH69M1414C04KT
Feb  1 15:27:42 DiskStation synoprint: synoprint.c:297 cups rm printer=03f0:c302:TH69M1414C04KT failed
Feb  1 15:27:43 DiskStation hotplugd: usb_get_device_id.c:49 Get usb info failed, DEVICE=/proc/bus/usb/005/004
Feb  1 15:27:43 DiskStation hotplugd: hotplugd.c:1177 failed get usb device id, DEVICE=/proc/bus/usb/005/004
Feb  1 15:27:43 DiskStation hotplugd: ##### ACTION:remove
Feb  1 15:27:43 DiskStation hotplugd: DEVICE:/proc/bus/usb/005/004
Feb  1 15:27:43 DiskStation hotplugd: DEVPATH:5-1
Feb  1 15:27:43 DiskStation hotplugd: SUBSYSTEM:usb
Feb  1 15:27:43 DiskStation synoprint: printer_cups_printer_rm.c:37 cannot find cups printer name, printer=03f0:c302:TH69M1414C04KT
Feb  1 15:27:43 DiskStation synoprint: synoprint.c:297 cups rm printer=03f0:c302:TH69M1414C04KT failed
Feb  1 15:27:43 DiskStation hotplugd: hotplugd.c:1069 unplug 5-1, notify usbipd!!
Feb  1 15:27:43 DiskStation usbipd: syno_usbipd_func.c:3382(No child processes) got signal=10
Feb  1 15:27:44 DiskStation usbipd: syno_usbipd_func.c:3144(Interrupted system call) failed get status in /usr/syno/etc/usbdev.conf.1d6b:0002:0000:00:12.2, skip
Feb  1 15:27:44 DiskStation usbipd: syno_usbipd_func.c:3144(Interrupted system call) failed get status in /usr/syno/etc/usbdev.conf.1d6b:0002:0000:00:13.2, skip
Feb  1 15:27:44 DiskStation usbipd: syno_usbipd_func.c:3144(Interrupted system call) failed get status in /usr/syno/etc/usbdev.conf.1d6b:0002:0000:00:16.2, skip
Feb  1 15:27:44 DiskStation usbipd: syno_usbipd_func.c:3144(Interrupted system call) failed get status in /usr/syno/etc/usbdev.conf.1d6b:0001:0000:00:12.0, skip
Feb  1 15:27:44 DiskStation usbipd: syno_usbipd_func.c:3144(Interrupted system call) failed get status in /usr/syno/etc/usbdev.conf.1d6b:0001:0000:00:13.0, skip
Feb  1 15:27:44 DiskStation usbipd: syno_usbipd_func.c:3144(Interrupted system call) failed get status in /usr/syno/etc/usbdev.conf.1d6b:0001:0000:00:16.0, skip
Feb  1 15:27:44 DiskStation usbipd: syno_usbipd_func.c:1032(Interrupted system call) unplug usb device=03f0:c302:TH69M1414C04K

DSM was able to detect and show the printer before update.

Any suggestions?

After update to 4.3 Update 4 (on Trantor's build), which went well on the whole, DSM cannot detect my USB printer, when I plug it. There's related messages in /var/log/messages, but nothing appeared in Control Panel / Devices and printers.

It all went back to normal behavior after reboot. Didn't get what caused such a glitch, so it's an issue still, I think.

Hey gents,

I've been lerking on here for a while and wanted to sign up to say thank you for the information and hard work.

Could anyone help with this issue,

I'm trying to install DSM 4.3 onto a HP Microserver NL36. The bootloader works until it mounts the only physical drive (the other being the 4Gb USB key with the loader)

The last line of the loader before it pauses is:

Attached SCSI removalable disk.

If I remove the USB key, it displays that the drive was removed, so it's not hanging, it's just stopped.

It finds the NIC, but the NIC doesn't get an IP (Checked DHCP) so I'm unable to proceed, Any advice?

Everything is stock on the hardware, and images (I've not modifed the MAC address).

Is there anyway to get to a command prompt from this point to check to see what's going on?

I have installed a bunch of disks as SHR-2 16TB of disks......BUT can only USE 9TB. See picture below.

Is that true I do not understand why it takes so much. It should take 2 disks but not more.

As it is now it has taken 3,5 disks for SHR-2 why?

Anyone that can help out here?