XPEnology Community

4.3 issues

VeNoM

@Trantor will you uploading your working version? I've got a spare HD to test it if you want.

Yes I will. I'm just adding/patching drivers and features previously added to beta build (like broadcom fix, latest atheros card support...)

It's almost ready to release :wink:

Nice one : I got a version running on a HP N54L but your versions are more stable.

Hi,

it's possible to update installed 4.2 (Trantor repack) without lost data?

Has anyone test it?

thx, benuk

I have updated my test HP N54L server from 4.2 (Trantor) to Chinese version 4.3. No data loss, but all settings are reset. You should have a backup for both data and configuration.

Hi,

it's possible to update installed 4.2 (Trantor repack) without lost data?

Has anyone test it?

thx, benuk

I have updated my test HP N54L server from 4.2 (Trantor) to Chinese version 4.3. No data loss, but all settings are reset. You should have a backup for both data and configuration.

Can you tell us how you did it please.

Made a new USB flash with 4.3 image. Kept the same MAC address as S/N as my old system, so WOL continue to work.

Boot from it, then use Synology Assistant to find my box and install .PAT. After reboot, I found my box configured as new, but with existing volume and data. Shares are there, but installed applications, network configuration and users are gone. Since its a test box with very few settings and one-two users, I recreated the users and added few applications. USB boot drive detected as e-SATA in this build, NFS doesn function correctly. AFAIKT everything else functional. Rebooted a few times, it survived the reboot without loosing drives.

Made a new USB flash with 4.3 image. Kept the same MAC address as S/N as my old system, so WOL continue to work.

Boot from it, then use Synology Assistant to find my box and install .PAT. After reboot, I found my box configured as new, but with existing volume and data. Shares are there, but installed applications, network configuration and users are gone. Since its a test box with very few settings and one-two users, I recreated the users and added few applications. USB boot drive detected as e-SATA in this build, NFS doesn function correctly. AFAIKT everything else functional. Rebooted a few times, it survived the reboot without loosing drives.

Thanks for that dude :smile: I'm waiting for Trantor upload his version then I will try doing the same. I do have a backup though :wink:

Hi,

I am new to Xpenology and am still in a phase where I am trying this build on test machine. However I couldn't figure out why exactly do we need this ?? In general Trantor's 4.2 is running fine on my network and no issues so far. Why do we need to change the MAC addr.....Could you please explain a little bit. I couldn't find an answer in the original forum either....Sorry for my ignorance....

Thanks

Forum of DS3612xs_4.3-3776_x64_General :

http://nas1.cn/thread-76319-1-1.html

On the download page there is a very useful utility "IMG MAC Editor 2"

It allows you to modify MAC and SN directly in the image, before its written to USB Flash disk.

With help of my Chinese friend here is the translation:

1.jpg.7828aa1bb53bbbbdbce795e1150d27f2.jpgscreen2.png[/attachment]

Write IMG successfully!

Simple and useful.

Hi,

I am new to Xpenology and am still in a phase where I am trying this build on test machine. However I couldn't figure out why exactly do we need this ?? In general Trantor's 4.2 is running fine on my network and no issues so far. Why do we need to change the MAC addr.....Could you please explain a little bit. I couldn't find an answer in the original forum either....Sorry for my ignorance....

[/attachment]

honestly you really don't. 4.2 works great.

The MAC in synology matching your actual server MAC is for WOL support.

Hi,

Thanks

While it is true that 4.2 works fine on a network in a single instance, but the problem is when you want multiple devices on the same network, or want to use a Synology service (e.g. DDNS). For the former, you need different MAC addresses, otherwise your devices will not be recognized (well, one will be, but all the others won't). Latter is if you want a custom serial number, to register at Synology.

This means, you don't need it. But for example, I'd like to be able to modify my serial number and MAC address, just in case.

If you use this build, you better know your linux stuff so you can recover your data. Syno can detect this in a heart beat on the next update.

We can maybe block this with iptables ?

No. Syno can detect this mod in the next update by simply checking /proc/mounts and just do a "umount /proc/bus/pci"

Thanks this info is useful..I appreciate that.

Hi,

Thanks

While it is true that 4.2 works fine on a network in a single instance, but the problem is when you want multiple devices on the same network, or want to use a Synology service (e.g. DDNS). For the former, you need different MAC addresses, otherwise your devices will not be recognized (well, one will be, but all the others won't). Latter is if you want a custom serial number, to register at Synology.

This means, you don't need it. But for example, I'd like to be able to modify my serial number and MAC address, just in case.

3810 Update 1 is available. Be carefull.

(2013/11/20)

Compatibility and Installation

DSM 4.3-3810 Update 1 can only be installed on Synology products running DSM 4.3-3810 via DSM Update. Please log in to DSM and go to Control Panel > DSM Update to install the update.
Fixed Issues

Fixed a system security issue.
Improved the compatibility of file uploading with Internet Explorer 11 in File Station.

3810 Update 1 is available. Be carefull.

(2013/11/20)

Compatibility and Installation

DSM 4.3-3810 Update 1 can only be installed on Synology products running DSM 4.3-3810 via DSM Update. Please log in to DSM and go to Control Panel > DSM Update to install the update.
Fixed Issues

Fixed a system security issue.
Improved the compatibility of file uploading with Internet Explorer 11 in File Station.

Installs without a problem, Trantor's implementation works perfectly. Though it seems to be stuck on "Analyzing" during update, refresh the page after 5 minutes, and it will be all updated.

Also rebooted, nothing changed, volumes, etc., still exist.

Until now I have never had a problem with the WOL (WAKE ON LAN).

I did always use this manuals to activate WAKE ON LAN:

Postby jasonwu » 24 May 2013 09:44

My N36L get perfect WOL with the help from chinese forum:

http://nas1.cn/thread-64278-1-1.html

1. modify the /etc/synoinfo.conf wol_enabled_options=“” and eth0_wol_options="" to "g"

2. put the attached file to /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/ and give the file execuable permission。

S99ZZZ_Shutdown.rar

I also edit the vender file generator , use the MAC addresses from MB and PCIE intel PRO and still not work ?????

Any new solution or manuals for dummies ???

Is there anywhere a manual for dummies for updating xpenology 4.2 to 4.3 on a microserver N54L?

I don't want to loose any data or settings ... thank you.

Back it up first.

Backup yo some other location.

Verify that both backup are good.

Make an extra backup of your configuration only.

make a new USB flash drive with updated DSM, update MAC and SN on it if it has been modified before.

Reboot from new Flash drive, use synology assistant to find the server and install new .pat file. If there is warning that volumes will be overwritten STOP and cancel.

Verify what settings are still there, if not - restore them from your configuration backup.

Pat yourself in the back and get some beer to reward yourself for a good job.

Post your success story here.

Is there anywhere a manual for dummies for updating xpenology 4.2 to 4.3 on a microserver N54L?

I don't want to loose any data or settings ... thank you.

Back it up first.

Backup yo some other location.

Verify that both backup are good.

Make an extra backup of your configuration only.

make a new USB flash drive with updated DSM, update MAC and SN on it if it has been modified before.

Reboot from new Flash drive, use synology assistant to find the server and install new .pat file. If there is warning that volumes will be overwritten STOP and cancel.

Verify what settings are still there, if not - restore them from your configuration backup.

Pat yourself in the back and get some beer to reward yourself for a good job.

Post your success story here.

As it sounds like a useful thing to know... how do you backup your configuration? :oops: - Cheers :smile:

As it sounds like a useful thing to know... how do you backup your configuration? :oops: - Cheers :smile:

IF you haven't read the manual or help pages and never done backups, do not touch anything and just pray that your server works.

If something goes wrong, come back here with ash on your head and cry about your losses.

IF you haven't read the manual or help pages and never done backups, do not touch anything and just pray that your server works.

If something goes wrong, come back here with ash on your head and cry about your losses.

:grin: Thankfully I'm still at the playing-with-hands-on stage of learning my way around the DSM, so nothing too much to cry about, just trying to learn as much as I can before placing my life onto it :smile:

I think I will have to succumb to it and read the Synology DSM manual :eek: