XPEnology Community

4.3 issues

VeNoM

New Synology "microupdate" techniqie is amazing! Now they can update certain files without updating a whole system.

For example DSM 4.3-3776-2 fixes a vulnerabilities by updating some system sfiles.

New patches are in .deb format, downloads silently and installs silently or after confirmation.

Any idea how apply patch manually? tried dpkg -i *.deb but without success.

DiskStation> dpkg -i smallupdate_4.3-3776-s1_all.deb

Authenticating smallupdate_4.3-3776-s1_all.deb ...

passed

(Reading database ... 3 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to replace smallupdate 4.3-3776-s1 (using smallupdate_4.3-3776-s1_all.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement smallupdate ...

Setting up smallupdate (4.3-3776-s1) ...

DiskStation>

edit: got it, nevermind.)

Edited by Guest

That's why I'm working on a patch kernel side.

As we have to use a custom kernel, it makes senses to tweak it for that purpose.

I don't find yet why when hooking/redirect the open syscall scemd is getting the real device file (maybe it use inode to map the file to memory I don't know).

It's harder than we thought but not impossible.

Finally got it.

it's a kernel patch overriding the devices seq_file if specific processes try to open it. Works like a charm :smile:

I need to make some tests but sounds promising :smile:

cat scemd.trace.7833 |grep -E "open\(|unlink"
[f6f1ccbb] open("/usr/syno/etc.defaults/dnsdsm", O_RDONLY) = 8
[f719fd6b] open("/dev/urandom", O_RDONLY|O_NOCTTY|O_NONBLOCK) = 9
[f6f1ccbb] open("/proc/self/comm", O_RDONLY) = 9
[f719fd6b] open("/usr/syno/bin/findhostd", O_RDONLY) = 11
[f719fd6b] open("/usr/syno/synoman/webman/modules/StorageManager/storagehandler.cgi", O_RDONLY) = 11
[f719fd6b] open("/usr/syno/synoman/webman/modules/StorageManager/volumehandler.cgi", O_RDONLY) = 11
[f719fd6b] open("/usr/syno/synoman/webman/modules/PkgManApp/PkgMan.cgi", O_RDONLY) = 11
[f719fd6b] open("/usr/syno/synoman/webman/modules/PkgManApp/PkgSynoMan.cgi", O_RDONLY) = 11
[f719fd6b] open("/usr/syno/synoman/webman/modules/DSMNotify/dsmnotify.cgi", O_RDONLY) = 11
[f719fd6b] open("/lib/libdsm.so", O_RDONLY) = 11
[f719fd6b] open("/lib/libsynocgi.so", O_RDONLY) = 11
[f6f1ccbb] open("/proc/bus/pci/devices", O_RDONLY) = 8
[f6f1ccbb] open("/etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 9
[f6f1ccbb] open("/etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 9

-> no unlink

Hi,

i know, it's a bit off topic, but I need to ask Vortex to do me a favor. And in fact, I can't write him a PM, I need to ask him this way. Please be gentle on me... :oops:

@Vortex: You posted a link of your latest qnology-version on qnap-forum. But the file on mega doesn't exist anymore. Could you please give me a link to download this file? I have a Qnap SS-839 Pro, and don't need to have the NAS running 24h. At work I'm used to Synology-Devices, and there is an Standby-Mode I wanted to use with my Qnap, too. The only way I see to get the Standby, is to use an alternate software. And because I really like the Synology-Interface and Apps, your Qnology will be my first choice. :mrgreen:

Many thanks in advance!

Regards, Tobi

I now only have one statically linked kernel module (using kernel timers) that replaces the /proc/bus/pci/devices and hides its traces in /proc/kallsyms on boot.

And I think I found a way to use the original pat file to install by just modifying the kernel and the ramdisk.

I now only have one statically linked kernel module (using kernel timers) that replaces the /proc/bus/pci/devices and hides its traces in /proc/kallsyms on boot.

And I think I found a way to use the original pat file to install by just modifying the kernel and the ramdisk.

Great work,VeNoM!I hope 4.3 can run my NAS by your help.

It would also be helpful to get a custom 4.3 ".pat" file for those of us running QNAP (leveraging all of Vortex hard work) who are not booting from USB, but have flashed our internal eprom. The USB route will be handy for initial testing, but would like to not have a dependency on it if possible. Well that and I am running out of USB ports :smile:

Thanks again for all the hard work here.

T.

Loaded a patched synobios from ramdisk al the end of linuxrc.syno.

If you think about it is obvious.

SYNOLoadModules "synobios"

SYNOLoadModules()
{
       local _mod= _modpath= _args= _env=
       local _kv=$(KernelVersion)
       local _mach=$(/bin/uname -m)
       local _suffix=".ko"

[ -f /etc.defaults/modules.conf ] && source /etc.defaults/modules.c
       [ -f /etc/modules.local.conf ] && source /etc/modules.local.conf #

for _mod in "$@"; do
               _modpath=/lib/modules/${_mod}${_suffix}

SYNOCheckModule $_mod && continue

SYNOLoadModules checks if the module is loaded with SYNOCheckModule and doesn't load the original one.

Edited by Guest