XPEnology Community

4.3 issues

VeNoM

With the info you posted I can probably manualy create a devices file for synology_bromolow_3612xs :smile:

Yes, you're right, it is a hash check for files + check for hardcodes devices (like sata controller/network controller) in files vs /proc/bus/pci/devices.

I do not understand why they did not also check synobios.ko

I have a working DS3612xs :smile:. Thanks to Vortex's info I created /proc/bus/pci/devices

4_3_bromolow.jpg

Here too :smile: I'm kind of busy theses days so I can only spend halt an hour max to play with...

@Venom, did you filter the open hook on current->comm (process name), I mean there could be side effect if all of the open are hooked to the fake file :razz: we juste have to build an array with all of the process name calling for it (hoping no side effect) and compare with current->comm.

Another thing, I got issue with ia32_sys_call_table at first (because of 64 bit architecture and 32 bits binaries), I made an ugly "hack" (#define __NR32_OPEN = 5), how did you deal with ?

If you can share your code :smile: I can also share mine. Tanks.

I started to look to emulate the ttyS1 device for for example the get_micropid() function with a proper return, it could be easy to do.

In fact binaries like scemd use ioctl to /dev/synobios and synobios.ko deal with /dev/ttyS1 (with is a serial device to manage leds, button,...). the module contain also some kernel function to deal with satacontrol and disks. So with a little work, we could :

Generate a custom synoboot from pat file :

- get the rd.gz and add the module to fake the system (need to be added before synobios.ko)

- add a custom kernel for better compatibility (64bits / drivers)

Install the DSM from the genuine PAT file without any patching or rebuilding.

This way we don't "break" any Synology property.

I tried it your way. I only hooked on /proc/bus/pci/devices using sample code from the https://github.com/mfontanini/Programs-Scripts/blob/master/rootkit/rootkit.c. Take a look at it, should help.

Then I took a different approach. I created /proc/virtual_devices, removed /proc/bus/pci/devices then symlink /proc/bus/pci/devices to /proc/virtual_devices.

static int __init dsmcheck_proc_init(void) {
if ( strcmp(syno_hw_version, "synology_bromolow_3612xs") == 0 || strcmp(syno_hw_version, "synology_x86_1511+") == 0 ) {
	created_virtual_devices = true;
	printk(KERN_INFO "DSMCHECK : %s found, creating virtual devices\n", syno_hw_version);
	remove_proc_entry("bus/pci/devices", NULL);
	proc_create("virtual_devices", 0, NULL, &dsmcheck_proc_fops);
	proc_symlink("bus/pci/devices", NULL, "../../virtual_devices");
} else {
	printk(KERN_INFO "DSMCHECK : %s found, not supported yet, skipping\n", syno_hw_version);
}
return 0;
}

I insert my module from /etc/rc using syno_hw_version=$UNIQUE as param.

# insert virtual devices module
insmod /root/dsmcheck.ko syno_hw_version=$UNIQUE

I will share the module once I am sure there is no problem.

Hey Guys, you are so great. I'm using Transtor's 4.2 3211 with some limitation (have a H87 Intel Board and this seems not to be fully recognized). I hope, that this 4.3 will include newest hardware driver support;-)

I'll stop working to optimize my 4.2 (e.g. dsaudio doesn't work) and continue with 4.3 once it is there.

But don't hurry, you already did a great job and I can wait some more time before jumping on that new train.

all the best

myhtpc

THANKS A LOT! Guys, great job!

p.s. You are very familiar with Linux tools. You proved it once more.

Could you look at one old problem in Xpenology - BIOS goes to reset state

(there are several reports for different hardware configurations) when power-off shedule is enabled?

thanks again!

The problem with this is that if you unmount, /dev/sda will get deleted. Even if my module gets unloaded cat /proc/bus/pci/devices returns null so the check doesn't do anything (I spoke too soon, it will remove /dev/sda).

DiskStation43> dmesg | grep DSM
[    2.785396] DSMVD : synology_x86_1511+ found, hooking virtual devices
DiskStation43> rmmod dsmvd
DiskStation43> dmesg | grep DSM
[    2.785396] DSMVD : synology_x86_1511+ found, hooking virtual devices
[   96.543365] DSMVD : unhooking virtual devices, replacing with NULL
DiskStation43> cat /proc/bus/pci/devices
cat: read error: Invalid argument

Anyway, I would not use 4.3 with this check in production. Syno can do anything in their apps, so they can unload/unmount anything we do here. So let's say you install/update AudioStation and then you notice that all your data is gone.

Anyway, I would not use 4.3 with this check in production. Syno can do anything in their apps, so they can unload/unmount anything we do here. So let's say you install/update AudioStation and then you notice that all your data is gone.

Agree. But I'll use 4.3 in production :smile: New features are important for me. I will not have problem check updated packages if they are safe before upgrading.

Edited by Guest

New Synology "microupdate" techniqie is amazing! Now they can update certain files without updating a whole system.

For example DSM 4.3-3776-2 fixes a vulnerabilities by updating some system sfiles.

New patches are in .deb format, downloads silently and installs silently or after confirmation.