XPEnology Community

DIY HTPC / Nas Build ?

Jack_

Hi there,

So I'd like to build my own media server in order to stream to my TV (using Plex).

I picked a hardware configuration but since I'm new to this, I want to make sure that it will work fine with xpenology.

What I want is something capable of transcoding 1 or 2 1080p streams, and to be power efficient (meaning it consumes as little as possible).

Here is the parts i picked :

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100T 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI B150M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard or ASRock H170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage: Western Digital Green 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive x2 (3T or 4T i'm not decided yet)

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (case depends on the MoBo)

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply but really not sure what power to take

Can anyone tells me if this will work and if there is improvment to make ?

Thanks !

Transcoding is not a memory intensive application, you don't need that much memory.

For me, I use Asrock C2550D4i (Atom C2550) which is already capable to handle 2 x 1080p, so I am sure your i3 will work, just a little bit more power consumption

Western Digital Green....try to avoid using them as RAID.

Thanks for the reply :smile:

Guess I'll go with 4Gb of Ram then. As for the WD Green, I intended to use this tool in order to decrease the number of landing in the park zone. The guy doesn't seem to have any problems.

Any idea about the PSU ?

That's exactly what I did on my WD15EARS 1.5GB. I had it running for 9143 hours(380 days) and no issues so far.

I have I3-550 cpu and whenever I transcode some video 1080p down to 64kbps it loads cpu by about 50%. 2 Streams load cpu 100%. Both play good until one or both streams stops due to lack of cpu power. Note that I am running Xpenology inside a VM, so the performance is less by about 5-10%. Also, your cpu is newer so it should in theory be a bit faster. If you plan to play in original quality on the remote device, it will not load your cpu much since it doesn't have to convert video file on the fly.

Thanks for the reply :smile:

Guess I'll go with 4Gb of Ram then. As for the WD Green, I intended to use this tool in order to decrease the number of landing in the park zone. The guy doesn't seem to have any problems.

Any idea about the PSU ?

Synology has inbuilt tool (accessible via CLI) to manage head parking setting :wink: