XPEnology Community

DSM 6 apps and pacakges

NasMaster

I just recently bought a DS415+ for my personal server (fully syno box). Its been running DSM 6 since I got it about 2 weeks ago and has been hosting my Plex Server the entire time. The Plex App on the Package Manager doesn't seem to get updated very regularly, but the install packages on the plex.tv site are always up to date (need to do manual install) and the Plex Clients usually give you a notification saying the server is out of date.

Yeah, I have a Synology DS1815+ and couldn't find the Plex app in Package Center.

It was OK for me though because I prefer Video Station. I'm sure there is a way to load Plex like Jman420 suggested.

Edit:

You can also run Plex within Docker in Synology DSM 6.0 as an option. This way you can better limit the resources that Plex uses.

Isn't Video Station in 6.0 basically Plex?

I'm not sure I would go so far as to say that. However, Video Station and Plex share much of the same functionailty. However, you can presumably stream to many different types of devices with Video Station and not have to pay for a Plex pass to do it.

I'm not sure I would go so far as to say that. However, Video Station and Plex share much of the same functionailty. However, you can presumably stream to many different types of devices with Video Station and not have to pay for a Plex pass to do it.

You can stream to many different types of devices with Plex. Plex pass is not required for this functionality.

You can stream to many different types of devices with Plex. Plex pass is not required for this functionality.

Perhaps you are right. However, when I was experimenting with Plex I could not stream from my Plex server to the Plex client app on my Smart TV without paying for Plex Pass and I also didn't see a way to stream to my iPad or iPhone with Plex unless I had a Plex Pass. Maybe there is a way but Video Station just worked with all of the above and far fewer hoops to jump through.

The problem is the client. In my LG SmartTV I have a Plex client but I don't have a Video Station client.

I hear what you are saying but maybe I am not being clear. I'll use an example.

Hulu, for example, used to be accessible in two basic ways: Hulu and Hulu plus. You got more content with the pay version "Hulu Plus" and the free version "Hulu" would not work natively on mobile devices or smart devices like Smart TV. In order to get that functionailty you had to pay.

I found this Hulu example to be a similar experance with my initial use of Plex. I'm willing to revisit this to see if I missed something but that was my initial experience. To be clear, Server to client streaming was never an issue for me if the client was a PC running the Plex x86 client.

The Plex App for my Mobile devices and LG 4K UHD Smart TV all seem to require that money be paid and I'm just not into paying to access the Media I already have.

I'm with Octavean but maybe for slightly different reasons. Personally I don't like relying on stuff that requires thirdparty intervention and certainly nothing that requires logging into some other chumps server when it isn't really critical. I hated the fact that you had to login to the plex server that was a total show stopper. Isn't the whole point of setting up your own server is to avoid crap like that? Would you build your garden shed on your neighbours garden? It makes no sense to be to rely on external services when you can have your own without any other party dictating or controlling your own sh1t no matter how minimalistic that intervention may appear on the surface.

Video Station has some downsides but it has had some serious dev time committed to the DSM6 version. VS has some cool features when you manually tweak the meta data of content for example and user centric stuff is managed by VS so logged in users know what they have and haven't watched etc. VS is also much lighter on resources than Plex which is a major plus in its favour. Updates are managed from with in the DSM which is convenient for new patch releases.

The best thing I did was stop using plex. If XBMC/Kodi were a serious option I would probably give that ago, but to be honest for my use case VS is more than acceptable, even on DSM5 - granted it aint pretty to look at on DSM5 (DSM6 solves that) but function wise it's very usable imho.

I just recently bought a DS415+ for my personal server (fully syno box). Its been running DSM 6 since I got it about 2 weeks ago and has been hosting my Plex Server the entire time. The Plex App on the Package Manager doesn't seem to get updated very regularly, but the install packages on the plex.tv site are always up to date (need to do manual install) and the Plex Clients usually give you a notification saying the server is out of date.

Install the docker package and install wernight/plex-media-server as docker container.

It's a lightweight container with build in auto update.

DS415+ is the minimum requirement to install docker on dsm.

Regarding the Plex server (Version 0.9.16.3) and LG TV clients (Version 2.5.3?) seems to work fine with transcoder option in automatic. If you disable DTS convert option it will play anything without problems (via Wifi, too). I did have problems playing content from LG TV and using DLNA. I disabled transcoding under Media Server - control panel in DSM, as soon as I disabled the video transcoding no more problems. I have the MediaCAST (NOT WebOS) in both LG TVs.

The problem with android client is that is free only for a limited time, then you must go for the pass, but I have to say that 720p on my Sony Xperia Z3 using plex client looks impressive.

My only complaint is how slow the client is for LG TVs, I guess the small CPU inside suffers just navigating menus, or maybe the wireless, but I get fluid 1080p video on my TVs using no wires.

Nice front for movie collection!!

DanO

Ok so I've had some time to look further in to this can somebody confirm I can use the synology version on the plex site link below

https://plex.tv/downloads

Thats where I get my Plex packages from. You will probably need to adjust the security settings in Package Manager to allow you to install self or un-signed packages (forget which of those Plex falls under).

Ok so I've had some time to look further in to this can somebody confirm I can use the synology version on the plex site link below

https://plex.tv/downloads

Thats where I get my Plex packages from. You will probably need to adjust the security settings in Package Manager to allow you to install self or un-signed packages (forget which of those Plex falls under).