XPEnology Community

Is it easier to use the synology linux approach to recover data or would XPEnology be easier?

XPEnologyFalcon

Question

I had a DS1515+ and it died. It is out of warranty and Synology states the only way to get the data back is to buy a new Synology server since they don't offer to repair the units after they are out of warranty. I was willing to pay but don't want this much hardware to just go into the dump every time a Synology server has a part that breaks. That being said I am less likely to buy a Synology server now. I still need my data though. I found a page on Synology that has me using Ubuntu to get the data back. Then I found XPEnology. I am wondering which method people suggest for getting my data back? Which method would be easier?

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

4 answers to this question

You got 7 years out of it, I don't think I've ever kept a computer for more than 4-5 years before replacing it.

It is entirely possible to use Linux to retrieve your data, but it's easier with a DSM platform (real Synology or XPenology).

However, if you are happy with DSM, I really suggest a used DS918+ (if you can fit into 4 disks) or a DS1517+ or DS1817+ (these models do not have the well known Intel chip bug that probably is the reason yours died).  Then your disks will migrate and you'll be back up and running for a lot less cash.

You can definitely use XPenology, but you have to source the PC, a compatible chassis for your drives (hot-swap?), and learn the system before you even think of using your old data disks. I think you will find that given where you are, getting a used Synology box is probably a cheaper and easier solution, and then you can consider XPenology with all its benefits and limitations when you aren't in duress.

That is sound advice. I will definitely take it into consideration.

I would like to just touch on a part you mentioned about XPenology. You mentioned learning the system. Is XPenology drastically different than DSM to the point where I will need to learn it anew or are you referring to the setup?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my message.