XPEnology Community

DSM 6.0 DEMO

jadie

For those who need their "fix" of DSM 6.0 you can try the demo site. :grin:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/live_demo

This demo seems to be different from the previous demo as you can actually install apps from the package center.

I am betting those demos are running inside their new Virtual DSM hypervisor.

[Edit]

Actually, it looks like its running inside the DockerDSM which is more like a sandbox environment; interesting.

This demo site is powered by Docker, which is a package running on Synology NAS. Docker DSM makes it possible to run multiple containerized instances of DiskStation Manager, so different users can log in and experience all the powerful features in a secure and isolated environment. Learn more about Docker DSM

:grin:

I like it. Will be nice to run it on our powerful machines with all these new virtualization things :razz:

Something tells me that we might not see the visualization feature working on Xpenology for some time. Just a hunch.

Possibly not, which is a good reason to have a machine dedicated to virtualization. The NAS as repository for VM's and ISOs in support of that machine.

Or just run Xpenology inside VM. I have mine installed inside Hyper-v on Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter. ESXI is a better alternative for most people since its free. However, there is a legal way to get a free copy of WindowsServer if you have access to MSDN or DreamSpark.

I have several clients with "real" Synologys (DS212+. DS214+, DS1512+, etc.) and since they are running DSM 6.0-7321 they have some weird problems (as other users of Synologys report too).

- MS Office error reports on Excel & Word files ("File is available as a newer version from another author")

- missing warning message if an Office file from a share has already been opened on another workstation

- wrong date & time stamps on recently created folders inside shares (up to 400 years in the future)

Synology stated that they will release "a fix in the near future"...

So it's not allways good to upgrade immediately on the newest version - especially in production environments.