XPEnology Community

XPEnology on professional EMC² SAN Hardware?

Gubti

Just bought myself very cheap one of those EMC² SAN Arrays https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clariion (just to play and practice a bit with it). 49 Drives, quadruple power, double USV, two fibre channel switches and a storage controler.

My first intention is to practice a bit with that stuff but it came to my mind, that i perhaps coud use that for xpenology too.

Although my hopes are very low compatibility wise without knowing the exact hardware before i have it in hands and probably even after :wink: , i would be very interested if anybody is using a similar setup of hardware.

Just bought myself very cheap one of those EMC² SAN Arrays https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clariion (just to play and practice a bit with it). 49 Drives, quadruple power, double USV, two fibre channel switches and a storage controler.

My first intention is to practice a bit with that stuff but it came to my mind, that i perhaps coud use that for xpenology too.

Although my hopes are very low compatibility wise without knowing the exact hardware before i have it in hands and probably even after :wink: , i would be very interested if anybody is using a similar setup of hardware.

XPEnology on a Clariion?

:smile:))

Mega lol!

So what did you pay for the Clariion :grin:

Are you sure you want to use a Clariion for your XPE. Power Consumption is around 500VA an hour. And that's from the last Clariion model. All older models probably use more....

I paid 300 but in the first place only wanted a stable and good built server rack (weighs +170 Kg empty).

My intention was to play a bit around and resell the parts (a lot of them: drives, drive bays, psus, fibre channel switches, UPS's, cables) separately to compensate a bit the costs.

I know that they're not sold for much and that they will not sell in short time, so meanwhile i can refresh my IT skills, last time used more than 10 years ago on similar hardware.

Its not about a permanent working system, only about the how-to :wink:

lol you know what a SAN is right?. and the difference between a SAN and a NAS?.