XPEnology Community

Xpenology DSM 6 final

xpek

Since everyone seems to be holding their breath for XPEnoboot with DSM 6 support, I want to remind everyone that the XPEnoboot team relies on Synology releasing the open source portions of DSM and the toolchains required to compile it. None of this has been released yet and we can not make a release without them. So for those of you holding your breath for a new release, maybe take a breather every now and then. (Short version: we don't know when Synology will release the DSM 6 source code, so we can't give an estimate as to when a new XPEnoboot version will be ready).

Since everyone seems to be holding their breath for XPEnoboot with DSM 6 support, I want to remind everyone that the XPEnoboot team relies on Synology releasing the open source portions of DSM and the toolchains required to compile it. None of this has been released yet and we can not make a release without them. So for those of you holding your breath for a new release, maybe take a breather every now and then. (Short version: we don't know when Synology will release the DSM 6 source code, so we can't give an estimate as to when a new XPEnoboot version will be ready).

Good info that,...

This should probably be put in a sticky thread so everyone knows and can take a collective breather.

Looking at the release dates of BETA2 and looking at how long the toolkit for BETA2 is available on the Open Source page of Synology.

I would rekcon the toolkit for the Final release will be set online about 1,5 to 2 months afters the release of the Final version. Which means we still need to wait for a full month at the least.

Then the dev team needs to test drive the new bootloader, Which also can take up to a month, maybe two. It all depends on the free hours these guys have to work on a new release.

So please. Wait for it and stop asking when it is going to be available.

If you want is to be release faster: DONATE. So that they can make the time to work on it.

But than again, this is all speculation.... :cool:

I cant wait for dsm 7 or 8 maybe 10.. (wasnt in dsm 5 or 6.. damnit it better be available some time) I want the ability to run Virtual Machines like the qnap does under virtualization station.. cmon synology!!! you can do it.. and when you I am fookin ready!!!

The thing is that for some of us that have a mix of real synology hardware with xpeno things do not work together at all between two major releases I. .- i.e. : Survcillance Station, backups etc.

I agree that xpenology is basically an experiment, but at some point people get tired of waiting for new releases.

The thing is that for some of us that have a mix of real synology hardware with xpeno things do not work together at all between two major releases I. .- i.e. : Survcillance Station, backups etc.

I agree that xpenology is basically an experiment, but at some point people get tired of waiting for new releases.

Quite frankly, as a member of the XPEnoboot Team I take offense to this. As I explained our hands are tied. We can not release until Synology releases their open source tools & packages. If you are 'tired of waiting for new releases' then replace your XPEno boxes with Syno ones.

i want to refer to a XPenoboot teammember:

the main problem is that Synology did not release there Chaintools, and without these Chaintools they can`t release a new version of XPenoboot.

The guys who work on this do so for free for the benefit of all of us.

If you want updates on the same day as they are released then bloody well buy a real synology box.

I can't believe the ungrateful and impatient post I have just read :sad:

If you are running Version 5 at the moment then chances are its been running fine for a while, a little while longer is not going to cause any major problems.

lapja wrote:

I’m going to give you the benefit of a doubt and be somewhat politically correct, so I won't call you a douchebag... but your comment? – that was a very self-entitled, douchebaggy thing to say.

The people making it possible to run Xpenology don’t owe you anything.

If your tired of waiting, then just move on. I’m pretty sure you won’t be missed.

Wow! So much violence and so much self estime on basically a crack of synology software.

Just to reassure the "not-douchebags" here; I am not depending at all from new release and yes, I buy synoology for all my needs.

I have only one machine on Xpenoboot that does not hold any backups, nor anything that I would mind loosing. The reason I keep it is so I can test different things and perhaps provide some feedback to the community. My motivation is curiosity and I have no specific needs or exceptions from Xpenology.

So offence or not, a serious hacker would explain simply poletily the difficulties that he/she is encountering in trying to make a new release instead of jumping off the roof over a comment.

I like your work guys, very happy from discover this XPEnology, i've just installed this in my "server" and replace the Windows 2003 Server, the software is powerful and the things are easier to do, next step is buy a synology dedicated Hardware 2 or 4 Disk, because my company is small..

Thanks.

At work, we have a legit Synology device but at home, I am more than content with a slightly older DSM release on my high powered custom Xpenology build. Gotta keep in mind that you do sacrifice some to be on the bleeding edge. In some cases, you might actually bleed out of your eyeballs when you realize how much personal data has been lost due to a bug in a release. Keep off-site backups where possible and slow down before updating. You'll be better off for it. Then also, be kind to the Xpenology developers!

And actually, I noticed that DSM 6.0 does some funny filesystem things that makes my excel workbooks behave a little funky when it comes to updating and inputting data. Knowing that, I'd be slightly hesitant to switch to DSM 6 so quickly on my custom build at home.

But yeah, it is kind of cool. I do off-site backups of my Xpenology box to my Synology box and vice versa from work. Best of both worlds!

The guys who work on this do so for free for the benefit of all of us.

If you want updates on the same day as they are released then bloody well buy a real synology box.

I can't believe the ungrateful and impatient post I have just read :sad:

If you are running Version 5 at the moment then chances are its been running fine for a while, a little while longer is not going to cause any major problems.

Seriously? What you are benefiting from is hard work of synology devs and the fact that their platform is open enough to let you play with. Xpenology is just a nice hackthat sometimes works, sometime doesn't. But that is the whole difference between a hack and genuine development.

I do respect the hack for what it is and was trying to push towards a new solution. But gratitude is a word that does not fit the context.

What Synology makes their money off is the hard work thousands of people and companies have done for 20+ years on the Linux kernel and other open source project that they utilize for their distro.

Read up on GNU GPL v2 and then investigate what components that goes into making XPEnoboot.