XPEnology Community

Dell PC Model Support Xpenology DSM 5.2 X64

ingen300

Hi everyone.

I would like share the dell model which support Xpenology NAS DSM 5.2 x64 (DS3615xs) boot from USB

Hardware requirement minimum

--------------------------------------

USB thumb drive 128MB minimum for image of DSM 5.2.

Memory 1 GB minimum

HDD 80GB minimum

Additional hardware support without driver

--------------------------------------------------

PCI IDE card with 4 IDE Connection

PCI Ethernet card 10/100 base

Model PC support boot from USB and schedule time wake up

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Optiplex 745 = Intel core 2 duo

2. Optiplex 755 = Intel duo core

3. Optiplex GX 520 = Intel Pentium 4

4. Optiplex FX 170 = Atom (Only can run X86 Nanoboot can't use internal flash driver become HDD storage).

Model Server support boot from USB

-------------------------------------------

1. Power edge 840 = Intel Xeon

The Optiplex 745, 755, and 760 all suffer from the corrupt BIOS issue when rebooting/shutting down from DSM. There are no BIOS protections for those models that I have found to protect the BIOS from DSM's CMOS write which occurs at reboot/shutdown. The Optiplex 780 and 790 (and likely newer models as well) that use the graphical BIOS work like a dream. You can update, restart, shutdown from the DSM without any worry of BIOS corruption.

Posted via Xpenology.us

Oh, also, the PowerEdge T105 is miserable with XPE due to the bios corruption on reboot/shutdown. Not only do you lose all your BIOS settings, but what it defaults to changes the boot order to ignore the USB drive so every...single...time...you have to set your boot order, enable SMART, etc. Definitely using that box for something else now. I couldn't be happier with my Optiplex 780 after all the hassle with older models and even the T105.

Posted via Xpenology.us

The Optiplex 745, 755, and 760 all suffer from the corrupt BIOS issue when rebooting/shutting down from DSM. There are no BIOS protections for those models that I have found to protect the BIOS from DSM's CMOS write which occurs at reboot/shutdown. The Optiplex 780 and 790 (and likely newer models as well) that use the graphical BIOS work like a dream. You can update, restart, shutdown from the DSM without any worry of BIOS corruption.

Posted via Xpenology.us

Hi ctout,

So far i have no problem. all this model i use. Only one problem time bios change.

Are your dell model update latest bios ?

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry I'm just now seeing your post. Updating to the latest BIOS makes no difference, but a member here by the name of "updateing" has created a modified boot loader that completely resolves the CMOS write corruption. More info at the link below. I've confirmed it works flawlessly on the older Dells I had previously listed here.

Custom Bootloader to avoid CMOS corruption:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3289&start=160

Wow, this is a really great list for Dell machines.

We really need a Wiki to keep all these information of working hardwares.

...and memo about known issues that can affect any particular model, as described above regarding the BIOS corruption.

• 3 months later...

[quote=

Model Server support boot from USB

-------------------------------------------

1. Power edge 840 = Intel Xeon

Could not boot from USB Thumb drive, in the BIOS i activated USB BIOS support and USB Hard disk.

Could start it with SATA HDD, but after initial configuration user, network i am not able to find it on the network anymore?

But on the login shell on the attached monitor, i have the login prompt with changed name?

any suggestions?