XPEnology Community

Install XPEnology on HP Gen8 Microserver without monitor?

Vossk

Question

Hello,

I just bought a HP Microserver Gen8 for the sole purpose of using it with XPEnology. However I am facing a major problem setting it up, since I don't own any monitor ( I just have 2 laptops and a TV without VGA/DVI) and I don't know anyone who could lend me a monitor sadly.

Is there any way to do this without a monitor? From the tutorial I see the monitor is required just to select update/install when booting from USB...

7 answers to this question

@butter_fry

Thanks for the ideas, the easiest one would be down arrow twice, then enter, but how could I know when to do it since the whole booting process takes like 5 minutes and there is only a short window (5 seconds i think) until it automatically chooses the first option.

I will try the cfg edit, if I got it right I will have to add the lines you wrote to the beggining of syslinux.cfg, boot and install DSM, shutdown when done, replace syslinux.cfg with default one and restart the server. Is this correct?

@TBK

I have no idea how to use iLO RDP, is there a tutorial for using RDP to install XPEnology?

Thank you!

@butter_fry

I have no idea how to use iLO RDP, is there a tutorial for using RDP to install XPEnology?

You can use it to install any OS. It is an alternative to connecting mouse, keyboard and screen directly to the microserver - http://h17007.www1.hp.com/docs/enterpri ... nsole.html

Thanks a lot, had no idea it's that easy.

Problem solved :mrgreen:

As a sidenote in case anyone else reads this, you will need iLO advanced to access the remote console, it's locked in the free version. I luckily managed to get my hands on a key though :smile: