XPEnology Community

Attempting Tinycore (so far no joy)

Badger

I'm posting this here because I'm not a developer and thought it may not be appropriate for the Developer forum.  Most (if not all of the posts there seem to have gone beyond where I seem to be hung up).

I followed these directions for a Redpill Tinycore baremetal install (from Procopio posting in the developer thread):

"A normal build process would start with :

1. Image burn

a. For physical gunzip and burn img file to usb stick 

2. ssh to your booted loader or just open the desktop terminal 

3. Bring over your json files (global_config.json,custom_config.json, user_config.json )

4. Check the contents of user_config.json, if satisfied keep or else run :

a. Change you serial and mac address by running ./rploader.sh serialgen DS3615xs
b. Update user_config.json with your VID:PID of your usb stick by running ./rploader.sh identifyusb now
c. Update user_config.json with your SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap by running ./rploader.sh satamap now (needs testing)

d. Backup your changes to local loader disk by running  ./rploader.sh backup now

5. ./rploader.sh build bromolow-7.0.1-42218"

After burning the usb stick and booting via the USB...  it shows in my router as I would expect.  The MAC address printed on my NIC is there (in router LAN status) with the IP.

After running "sudo ./rploader.sh serialgen DS3615xs",  "sudo ./rploader.sh identifyusb now"  "sudo ./rploader.sh satamap now"...... 

My user_config.json file appears to be OK... with correct VID and PID....  I don't understand the Sata "222" and disk ID entries but they are there.

So I run "sudo ./rploader.sh build bromolow-7.0.1-42218"....

Then I reboot and choose Redpill loader USB.  I believe the last entry I see is "Booting Kernel" and it hangs with a blinking cursor.

I then changed the MAC addres in "user_config.json" from the system generated MAC, back to the one printed on the NIC.  Saved the file ... and booted again with same result... blinking cursor.  Nothing showing in router.  Any counsel on troubleshooting would be appreciated.

All I can tell you is that the blinking cursor and the Booting Kernel, all that part is normal.

In order to see what is happening after the "Booting to Kernel" part if you were on a VM you would use the console or Telnet to see the output.

If you are on a baremetal machine I do not know if you can also telnet with Putty or something to see the output of what is going on.

If you manage to see the output then you can see where is the problem. Usually this part is not required...

TinyCore is doing it's best to load all the extensions your machine needs... I do not know why yours it does not work... maybe it's your network card?

Edited by gadreel

5 hours ago, gadreel said:

All I can tell you is that the blinking cursor and the Booting Kernel, all that part is normal.

OK, so even if the boot is "successful" the "booting kernel" with blinking cursor is all you would see from the console?   Maybe I should give it more time?

I've done a bit of searching to see how to view the boot data.  I thought maybe the "verbose" description from the boot menu would show something but I guess no.  As you said, I bet it is something to do with the network card.  FWIW, this network card has worked with the Jun loader for a several years. I'll keep going with "trial and error".  This is a great mental exercise for me.  I have all kinds of PC components so maybe I'll configure something for VM and try that.  Thing is I'd rather run baremetal cuz I really don't need whatever box i configure to do anything other than XPEnology.

Edited by Badger

In the past, for Jun's loader on a Baremetal XPEnology the only way you could see output of the boot procedure was with a serial cable... but serial is not that common any more. I do not know if with RedPill there is another way today...

With Trial and Error you will get there and if you finally figure out that is the network card maybe you can ask pocopico to create an extension for it...

Edited by gadreel

Well, I started over (with the same HW) and my router did show a new IP.  Not sure why.  Maybe I was just impatient last time.  Synology Assistant didn't find it but I could connect to the local IP and got this error.  This is really a test setup so I just put two sata disks in there that I had laying around.  I didn't format either one.  I believe they both have windows on them.  Should I format them (EXT4?) or maybe the auto command didn't pick the correct sata controller?  Anyway, at least it booted.

image.thumb.png.b140e99389f753308a3ed3de528854e4.png

Edited by Badger

Also if anyone has any suggestions on SataPortMap and diskID settings, I'm all ears.  This is a very old HP A8N-LA Mobo with 4 Sata ports.  I've tried SataPortMap=1... and 4,... and zero.  Disk Id I have no idea.  I've tried 0C,  00, 01, .  Tinycore does boot but still says "no disks" when I connect.  I'm guessing it's the Sata Port Map , but... ???

23 hours ago, Badger said:

Do I need to run the build command each time I change an entry in the user_config.json file?

Either that. Or you do what you did when using Jun's bootload -> find the partition where the grub.cfg is and edit it. I would recommed to build it each time instead of tinkering with grub.cfg.

Please share the output of `lsscsi -Hv` executed in tinycore. No one is able to magicly guess the required configuration for your rig...

Hmm, I am uncertain if drivers for "sata_nv" and "pata_amd" are even included.

Most modern sata chipsets would be reported as "ahci". You might want to check your BIOS, if you can set the sata ports to ahci.

Please share the output of `lspci -nnk`.

Assumed the sata_nv and pata_amd drivers are detected by rploader and extensions are available, then I would either try "DiskIdxMap=222 SataPortMap=000204" or "DiskIdxMap=42 SataPortMap=0004".

Assumed only sata_nv driver is detected by rploader and the extension is available, then I would try "DiskIdxMap=22 SataPortMap=0002" or "DiskIdxMap=4 SataPortMap=00". I am not sure how DSM handles pata in general....

update: I looked up sata_nv, it is covered by the nvidia sata driver.

I wouldn't be surprised if your hardware is to "exotic" to be used without an addition sata controller. Generally I am not sure if it's a good idea to run redpill on a amd cpu, as most of the Syno Kernels only comme with intel optimizations/support. 

update2: module.alias.json has severall entries for devices for sata_nv and pata_amd.

tc@box:~$ jq '.[][] | select(.name=="sata_nv")' < ~/modules.alias.json
tc@box:~$ jq '.[][] | select(.name=="pata_amd")' < ~/modules.alias.json

You might want to ask @pocopico how the support for those kernel modules actualy is...

Edited by haydibe

Thank you very much for your research. Loved the term "exotic" regarding my very old HP mobo.  Actually my purpose in trying this, was to see if I could get 7.0 running on an AMD setup.   I'll start with some of your suggestions for Sata Port map entries.  I wonder are the Nvidia Sata_nv drivers in the current loader build?  Obviously, I don't care about the pata ports/drivers.

So I tried all the suggested Sata and Disk ID combos without success.  "No Drives Detected".  Here is the output for lspci -nnk .  Also, FWIW there are no settings available for the two SATA controllers in the BIOS.... just enabled or diabled.  Their descriptions are "Sata Controller 1, (Port 1 and Port 2) and Sata Controller 2, (Port 3 and Port 4).  The two disks are in Port 1 and 2.

image.thumb.png.7ad48929940653cc1e1a45c5a60efef2.png

image.thumb.png.afeb7df899531906b4009d96fd809b9c.png

Edited by Badger

• 1 month later...