XPEnology Community

HP N54L weird issues with internal NIC and MAC addresses

AlexFullmoon

I'm running latest 6.2.3 which again has support for onboard NIC, with MAC addr 38:XXX (as seen in BIOS). I also have Intel EXPi9301CT with MAC addr 68:XXX (as written on it).

When I plug external along with onboard and put both in grub.cfg, i.e.

set mac1=38...
set mac2=68...

I can boot, both NICs work, but MAC addresses apparently swap around, i.e. internal NIC takes 68:XXX address and external 38:XXX.

With external plugged and

set mac1=68...

only external NIC works, and it uses its own 68:XXX MAC address.

With external plugged and

set mac1=38...

again only external NIC works, and it uses 38:XXX address.

When I leave only internal NIC, nothing works.

What might e the cause and what I am to do? I guess I can keep external NIC and leave it unused, but I'd rather use it in another project.

UPD: I suspect that internal NIC drivers don't work in recovery mode which happens after any changes in grub.cfg.

UPD2: External NIC always becomes #1, and internal #2, which might explain why setting only one NIC in config doesn't work. Is there any way to reorder them?

5 minutes ago, pocopico said:

The idea behind setting MAC address in GRUB, is to set the Mac addresses to synology Mac addresses and not to match your Mac addresses. Try to either leaving these variables empty or to set a Synology generated MAC address. 

Oh? I was under the impression that they should be real hardware ones. So it's not really important, then?

Any point to get real Synology MACs outside of QuickConnect and such?

• 5 months later...
17 minutes ago, bearcat said:

A late reply, so I guess you found this out, using this: 

set mac1=68...

set mac2=38...

will let you use both NIC's with their original MAC

Yeah, I probably should've mention explicitly, but of course I tried that and it didn't work — see UPD2, PCIe card wants to be NIC1.

Anyhow, I now use Redpill, and it plays nice with internal NIC (and tg3 driver).

24 minutes ago, AlexFullmoon said:

see UPD2

Actually, I qouted it ;-)

Yes, due to how the system enumerates the nic's during boot the external will allways become eth0,

but is/was that really a "problem" ?

btw: how is the "real-life" experience with DSM 7 and redpill, compared to your old setup?

Oh, right.

It was a minor problem with managing network addresses on router, and in DSM UI - stats widget defaults to eth0. Larger problem was that internal nic worked only when external is plugged in.

Redpill/7.1 for me is just as stable. The only problem I've had is DSM7 doesn't support my UPS anymore, had to poug it into RPi and share over network.

• Like 1