XPEnology Community

Modding a Synology 2415+ hardware

Ulysses

Hi Guys...

I have a onld Synology 2415+ (12 bay) harfware... I works pretty well except the fact I have plex installed on it and it does not support HW Transcoding...

I'm thinking about replacing the original Synology motherboard and use my xpenology setup on it... running the Intel 8400 with integrated GPU. 32GB, etc..etc...

My question is: My synology NAS uses a PCIe backplane connector to the HDDs.... Does XPENology work if I connect this backplate board to my PCIe mobo ? are the XPEnology going to recognize my original synology backplane for SATA connectivity to HDDs ?

Thanks in advance!

On 1/5/2022 at 10:28 PM, Ulysses said:

My question is: My synology NAS uses a PCIe backplane connector to the HDDs.... Does XPENology work if I connect this backplate board to my PCIe mobo ?

even if it looks like a pcie connector it might be something different

in general if its pcie and there is sata connected you would see chips like on a pcie sata card like marvel 88se9215

so look for chips like this on the board and the backplane, if the chips are not on the backplane then the connector might be used differently and its a sata custom connection, connecting that to a pcie might have very "interesting" consequences that can even end in a small fire or popping capacitors (wear thick gloves and eye/face protection if you don't care and just want to pop it in so see what happens - i really not suggest just doing that, can be dangerous)

are the XPEnology going to recognize my original synology backplane for SATA connectivity to HDDs ?

if its a pcie to sata and a backplane in one then it might work, synology usually uses ahci sata chips and thats supported by the synology kernel used in xpenology ootb and even if you would need a driver there are plenty in the additional extra.lzma you can download here

if you name the chips on the board we can tell you if it need a extra driver

Edited by IG-88

4 hours ago, IG-88 said:

even if it looks like a pcie connector it might be something different

in general if its pcie and there is sata connected you would see chips like on a pcie sata card like marvel 88se915

so look for chips like this on the board and the backplane, if the chips are not on the backplane then the connector might be used differently and its a sata custom connection, connection that to a pcie might have very "interesting" consequences that can even end in a small fire or popping capacitors (wear thick gloves and eye/face protection if you dont care and just want to pop it in so see what happens - i really not suggest just doing that, can be dangerous)

if its a pcie to sata and a backplane in one then it might work, synology usually uses ahci sata chips and thats supported by the synology kernel used in xpenology ootb and even if you would need a driver there are plenty in the additional extra.lzma you can download here

if you name the chips on the board we can tell you if it need a extra driver

Thanks IG-88.... I will disasembly my 2415+ tomorrow and take some pictures from the backplane... I'll post them here ... :)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Did you ever get around to trying this? I tried it with a ds2411+ but the system just power cycles after a few seconds, I think its when power is sent to the backplane that causes the psu to reset.

The backplane Model is a Tower BP Ver 1.2 (08-04XXTBP12) and its got a chip with a sticker on it  labeled Tower BP V1.00

20230104_230008.jpg

20230104_230023.jpg

Edited by arden
adding images

On 1/5/2023 at 1:07 AM, arden said:

The backplane Model is a Tower BP Ver 1.2 (08-04XXTBP12) and its got a chip with a sticker on it  labeled Tower BP V1.00

BP might be "BackPlane" so not much out of this, peel off the sticker and look for the chip's markings

Found this post - https://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=109:291-75 which identifies the chip as some programable chip (altera max II chip), so just replacing it may not matter due to this, so as its most likely blown, moved on and using the case without the backplane.

New raid cards should be arriving Sunday and I'll get everything hooked up with 4 additional drives int eh back of the unit due to the extra room ;)

On 1/13/2023 at 6:22 PM, arden said:

Found this post - https://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=109:291-75 which identifies the chip as some programable chip (altera max II chip), so just replacing it may not matter due to this, so as its most likely blown, moved on and using the case without the backplane.

New raid cards should be arriving Sunday and I'll get everything hooked up with 4 additional drives int eh back of the unit due to the extra room

the slot, even looking like pcie might not be one, the syno systems are custom builds and are not bound to conventional hardware layouts, so it might be some custom layout transporting sata ans power signals instead of pcie, thats the reason to look for chips on the board and the backplane, if the sata chip/controller is an the main board and there is no such thing on the backplane it might indicate that its not rally a pcie slot, so check at least some basic stuff like power and ground signals and compare pcie and the slot on the board