XPEnology Community

12 hot swap bays with HP Gen8 MicroServer

tcs2tx

I posted my setup in the hardware thread, but am posting as its own thread for those people who are considering different build configurations. I have run XPEnology on a number of different setups (ESXi and bare metal). This is my current setup with 12 hot swap disks:

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8

- enumerated drives 1-6

- drives 1-4 - 4 hot swap bays

- drive 5 - SSD for cache using optical drive connectors and space

- drive 6 - empty and I believe unusable (only 5 connectors on motherboard)

- CPU upgraded to Xeon E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz

- 16 GB ECC RAM (2 x 8 GB 1333 MHz @ 1.5 V)

- HighPoint Rocket 2722 External 8-Port PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SAS/SATA 6Gb/s Non-RAID Controller

- Integrated Remote Console (same as IPMI on Supermicro)

- Link aggregation using 2x Gigabit

Sans Digital ST-SAN-TR8X+ Digital TowerRAID

- 8 hot swap bays (enumerated drives 7-14)

- connected to HighPoint Card using 2x Mini SAS 26-Pin SFF-8088 Male to Mini SAS 26-Pin SFF-8088 Cables

Summary - 12 hot swap bays (with drive numbering matching slots), SSD cache, small, quiet, powerful, remote access and link aggregation.

Synology DS1815+ and Backup XPEnology (HP Gen8 Microserver and ST-SAN-TR8X+)

7oxDgaQ

Doors Open showing 4 bays of HP and 8 bays of ST-SAN-TR8X+

JzO9rJn

Top view inside HP with SSD connected in optical drive bay

qQWGL0u

Left view inside HP showing (1) USB key in MB slot, (2) red SATA cable in MB running up to SSD in optical drive bay, (3) HighPoint controller, and (4) SFF-8088 cables connecting to HighPoint controller

DOeBWgX

Right view inside HP showing 2x 8GB ECC RAM

l5uzoqv

Back view of HP showing (1) SFF-8088 cables, (2) dual GB lan in link aggregation, and (3) IPMI (aka HP iLO)

NdJXfvG

Back view of ST-SAN-TR8X+ showing SFF-8088 cables

rX8diLK

Edited by Guest

Thanks. I like it a lot. I've gone through numerous cases, motherboards and controller cards before arriving at this setup. I hope my numerous trials help someone else.

I will also revise the original post to add that the hard drives enumerate the same as their respective slots - HP (drives 1-5) and the external case (drives 6-13). Note - For the HP, the four hard drives are hot-swap with the SSD being internal.

Hi,could you make some pictures? Thanks Robert (Czech Republic)

I edited the original post to include a number of pictures. Note - this is my first time posting images, so let me know (and advise) if they are not visible.

The second picture above shows the door open on the HP with the 4 drive trays shown.

I cant see the images (at least from ipad). Anyway i quoteed to find the url. As i say .... awesome setup! But pay attention because i dont think u can hot plug hdd in microserver (i have one my self).

Synology DS1815+ and Backup XPEnology (HP Gen8 Microserver and ST-SAN-TR8X+)

7oxDgaQ.jpg

Doors Open showing 4 bays of HP and 8 bays of ST-SAN-TR8X+

JzO9rJn.jpg

Top view inside HP with SSD connected in optical drive bay

qQWGL0u.jpg

Left view inside HP showing (1) USB key in MB slot, (2) red SATA cable in MB running up to SSD in optical drive bay, (3) HighPoint controller, and (4) SFF-8088 cables connecting to HighPoint controller

DOeBWgX.jpg

Right view inside HP showing 2x 8GB ECC RAM

l5uzoqv.jpg

Back view of HP showing (1) SFF-8088 cables, (2) dual GB lan in link aggregation, and (3) IPMI (aka HP iLO)

NdJXfvG.jpg

Back view of ST-SAN-TR8X+ showing SFF-8088 cables

rX8diLK.jpg