XPEnology Community

Bootable for 3615 and 3617 but not DS918+?

Dendrobatus

Hi fellas I am the noob in town,

I am using a cheap Biostar motherboard A68N-5600 https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=885 with intergrated APU A10-4655

and the RAM is one Kingston HyperX SAVAGE DDR3 running at 1600Mhz

Previously I have installed DS3615xs with Jun's loader 1.02b and DS3617xs w/ loader 1.03b on this motherboard, they all went well and DSM was accessable.

And I tried to install DS918+ with loader 1.04b today. The VID and the PID are correctly set, and the system is able to display the happy hacking screen. However, the diskstaion is nowhere to be found, neither Find-Synology site nor the synology assistant App. Though I do notice that the LAN port is blinking as normal.

Anyone who could tell what causes this difference? Thank!

Edited by Dendrobatus

4 hours ago, Dendrobatus said:

Anyone who could tell what causes this difference? Thank!

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

"...

** FMA3 instruction support required. All Haswell Core processors or later support it.  Only a select few Pentium, and no Celeron CPUs do.

** Piledriver is believed to be the minimum AMD CPU architecture to support the DS916+ and DS918+ DSM platforms.

..."

in theory a A10 should work

i could swear i had 918+ working on  a A8 about two years ago but atm i cant get it to boot properly on the same hardware and i have plenty of alternatives now

i think i remember there was some difference with it if a monitor was conencted or not on boot (might be worth a try to boot without a monitor connected too)

there might also be dependency's of certain bios settings too, if there is a C1E option then you have to disable it

Edited by IG-88

47 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

if there is a C1E option then you have to disable it

Thanks for the hint.

The bios does not have C1E option, instead there is C6 and I turned it off. Still the problem persists when I boot without the monitor.

It seems to me that the NAS is acutally connected but not recognized, as the LAN port LED only blinks while I try to search it.

Maybe I'll have some luck with VM

check if the nic is working and has access to your dhcp server by booting a recovery/live linux

the ultimate way of knowing what goes on is to use serial port of the board (yours has a interne, so you need a adapter to sub-d 9) by using a null-modem cable (the side of the console program can use a usb2serail adapter if needed)

you can also try to setup your usb with one disk on another system and then transfer that usb and disk to the A10 system and try to boot it up, that way you know at least ist not the install process, the realtek nic should be no problem when using dsm 6.2(.0) or 6.2.3

On 1/3/2022 at 7:54 PM, IG-88 said:

setup your usb with one disk on another system

Hi again,

I opted for the latter option due to well, the lack of knowhows for serial port monitor 😕 and cheap adapter takes too long to arrive.

I plugged the loader USB stick and a SATA drive on to my MSI MPG Z390I GAMING EDGE AC rig https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/mpg-z390i-gaming-edge-ac with coffee lake Core i7 9700k, the NAS was found within a heartbeat and DSM was installed no problem. This MOBO coincidentally has the same NIC RTL8111H as the one on Biostar A68N-5600, so indeed, it is not the problem about network driver. Plus I also found RTL8111H on the supported list of loader 1.04b. But when I moved them back on the Biostar board, there was still no found after serveral attempts.

At this point I think it is safe to say that this XPE version is not supported by some hardwares other than the NIC, probably the CPU architecture? The A10-4655m is as old as year 2012 and many of the A8s were released post 2015, some even 2019, just sayin'

Edited by Dendrobatus

1 hour ago, Dendrobatus said:

so indeed, it is not the problem about network driver. Plus I also found RTL8111H on the supported list of loader 1.04b. But when I moved them back on the Biostar board, there was still no found after serveral attempts.

so its no special setup problem and not a general problem with setting up the loader

ruling out that things makes its most likely the cpu not working with 918+ (loader stops right after startin the kernel and even is loading drivers)

so way to go is to have 1.03b as 3615 or 3617 (csm mode in uefi bios and legacy usb boot device for booting to make it work)

with that old er hardware you would not be able to use the added options of 918+ like nvme cache drive or hardware acceleration for video so no real loss when just using 3615/17 anyway

45 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

with that old er hardware you would not be able to use the added options of 918+ like nvme cache drive or hardware acceleration for video

exactly, the goal of installing 918 was to enable an nvme SSD via a PCIe adaptor(maybe later repurposed for M.2 wireless card). This current build is perhaps not even good enough for hardware acceleration or a demanding VM.

Now one of the SATA port is assigned for SSD Cache and it's working like a charm under 3617. I'll leave other functionalities for the next hardware upgrade.