XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

1 minute ago, Aigor said:

have you setup ip address to ILO? 
If yes, connect to ilo via ssh, logon, at prompt type "VSP" without double quote, you should see serial output, at the end you should have a something like 
Synology_logon, type root and press enter, if you are on, type ifconfig, you should see ip address 

OK. Thanks. I'll try it first.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aigor said:

have you setup ip address to ILO? 
If yes, connect to ilo via ssh, logon, at prompt type "VSP" without double quote, you should see serial output, at the end you should have a something like 
Synology_logon, type root and press enter, if you are on, type ifconfig, you should see ip address 

Hello, I get this error in the serial output:

[    2.299674] redpill: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

2 hours ago, pocopico said:

Since i915 will not compile using the Synology provided sources,

it does on my 918+ test vm with the 7.0 source

2 hours ago, pocopico said:

for i915 on newer iGPUs, there is a process for patching the integrated module to include your iGPU id. I'm not following at all. You can search the forum for that. @IG-88 has some info about it.

in theory the i915 source could be extended to support added pci id's so we dont have te replace id's and with that just one driver would be needed

i have no clue about c++ so its kind of difficult for me to do that, i checked the source for "3e92" and there is no hit, so its not like in the binary driver where is a kind of table, is more "hidden" and looking for would thate some time

having/seeing a patch usually helps when, sometimes its just adding some lines in the same way with just minor mod's to the numbers (like done for mvsas driver or nic killer e2400/e2500)

the patch for the binary is simple, look hex for 92 3e, if there is more then one look near the hit if there a re more 9x 3e, that the right "table" with the devices, i guess its the binary part of "i915.mod.c" that is created when building the driver

my guess for the right source file would by i915_pci.c

there is ".platform = " that would be the point to start with

3E92 is UHD 630 Coffee Lake

so looking for ".platform = intel_cofeelake" or "cfl" will be spots in the source about our device where we want to add more id's

things like

INTEL_CFL_S_GT1_IDS(&intel_coffeelake_gt1_info),
        INTEL_CFL_S_GT2_IDS(&intel_coffeelake_gt2_info),
        INTEL_CFL_H_GT2_IDS(&intel_coffeelake_gt2_info),
        INTEL_CFL_U_GT1_IDS(&intel_coffeelake_gt1_info),
        INTEL_CFL_U_GT2_IDS(&intel_coffeelake_gt2_info),
        INTEL_CFL_U_GT3_IDS(&intel_coffeelake_gt3_info),

"intel_coffeelake" leades to "intel_device_info.h" and i915_drv.h

but i can't see how the pci device id is made from that

if someone can explain the source and deliver a patch so that a device 3E98 is handled the same way as 3E92 ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cospotato said:

Hello, I get this error in the serial output:

[    2.299674] redpill: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

Which serial com port did you select ?  It should be com1 ?

Edited by pocopico

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

it does on my 918+ test vm with the 7.0 source

in theory the i915 source could be extended to support added pci id's so we dont have te replace id's and with that just one driver would be needed

i have no clue about c++ so its kind of difficult for me to do that, i checked the source for "3e92" and there is no hit, so its not like in the binary driver where is a kind of table, is more "hidden" and looking for would thate some time

having/seeing a patch usually helps when, sometimes its just adding some lines in the same way with just minor mod's to the numbers (like done for mvsas driver or nic killer e2400/e2500)

the patch for the binary is simple, look hex for 92 3e, if there is more then one look near the hit if there a re more 9x 3e, that the right "table" with the devices, i guess its the binary part of "i915.mod.c" that is created when building the driver

my guess for the right source file would by i915_pci.c

there is ".platform = " that would be the point to start with

3E92 is UHD 630 Coffee Lake

so looking for ".platform = intel_cofeelake" or "cfl" will be spots in the source about our device where we want to add more id's

things like

INTEL_CFL_S_GT1_IDS(&intel_coffeelake_gt1_info),
        INTEL_CFL_S_GT2_IDS(&intel_coffeelake_gt2_info),
        INTEL_CFL_H_GT2_IDS(&intel_coffeelake_gt2_info),
        INTEL_CFL_U_GT1_IDS(&intel_coffeelake_gt1_info),
        INTEL_CFL_U_GT2_IDS(&intel_coffeelake_gt2_info),
        INTEL_CFL_U_GT3_IDS(&intel_coffeelake_gt3_info),

"intel_coffeelake" leades to "intel_device_info.h" and i915_drv.h

but i can't see how the pci device id is made from that

if someone can explain the source and deliver a patch so that a device 3E98 is handled the same way as 3E92 ...

@IG-88 have a look at ./include/drm/i915_pciids.h

Edited by pocopico
  • Thanks 1

So I ran into a strange issue with my new DS3622xs+ bare metal install.  I've installed everything successfully, DSM is installed, disks are recognized.  What's strange is that my memory usage is crazy.  If I check the resource manager I can see that the RAM usage slowly keeps increasing, until it reboots about every 45 minutes because it runs out of memory.  There's 64GB of RAM in the server, so the amount of memory shouldn't be an issue.  The only thing that I have done other than the most basic install is follow the instructions in the thread below to enable SHR.  Do you think this might have something to do with it?  Task Manager in DSM doesn't show anything using more than a few hundred MB of RAM.

15 minutes ago, danellis12561 said:

So I ran into a strange issue with my new DS3622xs+ bare metal install.  I've installed everything successfully, DSM is installed, disks are recognized.  What's strange is that my memory usage is crazy.  If I check the resource manager I can see that the RAM usage slowly keeps increasing, until it reboots about every 45 minutes because it runs out of memory.  There's 64GB of RAM in the server, so the amount of memory shouldn't be an issue.  The only thing that I have done other than the most basic install is follow the instructions in the thread below to enable SHR.  Do you think this might have something to do with it?  Task Manager in DSM doesn't show anything using more than a few hundred MB of RAM.

Try top or htop in command line,

You may want to install entware (google)

3 minutes ago, Orphée said:

Try top or htop in command line,

You may want to install entware (google)

Actually, I removed the storage pool I created and the RAM stopped creeping up.  I rebooted and created the SHR pool with one drive which completed without issue.  I'm adding a second drive right now and the RAM is staying at 1%.  If it finishes adding the second drive with no issues, I'll add the other two and monitor it.  Maybe something with the initial creation of the SHR pool of 4 disks was wonky.

13 hours ago, pocopico said:

Yes that looks OK  alx is the module you are looking for. What is the issue ? You cannot find it with the find.synology.com right ? check your router for the provided dhcp IP 

Yes, the machine cannot be found with find.synology.com, nor synology assisstant. It even didn't show up in my router console. I even tried to fix the IP of the mac address of that machine. However, I still can't visit [assigned IP]:5000. Trying to ping the assigned IP failed at all. But the led of the RJ45 port keeps continuously blinking.

1 hour ago, ArcherTatsu said:

Yes, the machine cannot be found with find.synology.com, nor synology assisstant. It even didn't show up in my router console. I even tried to fix the IP of the mac address of that machine. However, I still can't visit [assigned IP]:5000. Trying to ping the assigned IP failed at all. But the led of the RJ45 port keeps continuously blinking.

What kind of CPU/Motherboard do you have ? Maybe you get a kernel panic.

17 hours ago, Orphée said:

So I finally bought a 4Tb disk... just to test if it was a false positive, or a real issue...

So I installed the 4To alone as new on a N54L ready to boot.

I enabled telnet to check fdisk, and as expected, same as above, only 2048 GB shown with the 2^32 sectors warning message.

So I launched the installation process, it worked fine.

Then in DSM I created the volume/storage :

image.thumb.png.509e5b762f868faa957628bd0e0947ef.png

So this warning message in install process is a false positive !

This is interesting. I’d been holding off upgrading my gen8 MIcroserver on Baremetal as it has LSI hba with 4x3tb disks. Does this confirm the 2tb max that was reported in the GitHub issues is a non issue ? 
would an upgrade see the full disks do you think? 

31 minutes ago, scoobdriver said:

This is interesting. I’d been holding off upgrading my gen8 MIcroserver on Baremetal as it has LSI hba with 4x3tb disks. Does this confirm the 2tb max that was reported in the GitHub issues is a non issue ? 
would an upgrade see the full disks do you think? 

I did not try with LSI HBA card yet. Only on the N54L baremetal

The mpt3sas driver update done yesterday for rmthe ds3622xs+ may also be a big progress

Edit : I will try on LSI HBA ESXi withy new 4tb test drive in the few next days

Edited by Orphée
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, nickhx said:

@pocopico918+ build is failing on mpt3sas module after yesterday's update to 41.00.00.00.  Think the checksum in rp-ext/mpt3sas/releases/ds918p_42218.json needs fixing?

Can you try again ? I by mistake broke two extensions with one move :D crossed copy 918 -> 3615 .. i fixed that now 

Edited by pocopico

3 hours ago, pocopico said:

What kind of CPU/Motherboard do you have ? Maybe you get a kernel panic.

CPU: Interl Core i5 3230M.

Since this is an laptop (Lenovo Ideapad Y400), I think the motherboard is customized by Lenovo.

I have no idea to observe whether there is a kernel panic. But I noticed that the cursor in the output on the screen keeps blinking.

• Confused 1