XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

@Peter Suh could you see this post? There may be a quick fix to the problem.

I have no experience with emmc so I'm not sure. Does emmc behave like ssd? I don't know if it will help if I do the same as the process of setting the bootloader in msata, but try changing the method like this. TCRP is only used as a tool to create the loader.img file. Build the loader of the desired model through a USB stick or virtual box, and load the /home/tc/redpill-load/loader.img file into emmc with the dd command.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In order to configure TCRP I want to connect via SSH but I don't know which admin/password I should use. I also use an ES keyboard. How can I change the keyboard layout from the command line?

Apologies if this has been asked before but I'm pretty new to Linux

22 minutes ago, yonn said:

In order to configure TCRP I want to connect via SSH but I don't know which admin/password I should use. I also use an ES keyboard. How can I change the keyboard layout from the command line?

Apologies if this has been asked before but I'm pretty new to Linux

https://github.com/fbelavenuto/arpl#via-ssh

Hey all,

Don't suppose anyone has managed to get any other image higher than a DS3615xs on a HP DL380 G9 Baremetal? (HBA mode enabled on RAID card - P840AR) - I can get the 3615xs booted, installed and recognising drives but any other image (I have tried 3617xs and 3622XS+ to no avail - always fails when installing the synology .pat file) Just refuses to install.

It'll depend a lot on the exact model of CPU installed in it. But, having said that, the 3622xs+ should run on just about anything...

FWIW, I run DS362XS+ on a Cisco UCS chassis, which is basically a rebadged HP DL server. There's nothing special about them. The problem you'll have, running it bare metal, is no access to a console to see why it's not booting properly. Consider putting ESXi or Proxmox on it and running xpenology as a guest with a virtual serial port.

33 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

It'll depend a lot on the exact model of CPU installed in it. But, having said that, the 3622xs+ should run on just about anything...

FWIW, I run DS362XS+ on a Cisco UCS chassis, which is basically a rebadged HP DL server. There's nothing special about them. The problem you'll have, running it bare metal, is no access to a console to see why it's not booting properly. Consider putting ESXi or Proxmox on it and running xpenology as a guest with a virtual serial port.

Yea, that was my thoughts exactly, it does seem strange - Processor is a E5-2620 v4 - So shouldn't be an issue - I Do have another DL380 g9 (My main server with my Ubuntu 22.01 home server + docker apps etc on it, MacOS VM, server 2019 image etc etc) with ESXi on it and I have spun a quick image up on that with the same problem - (that does have a different processor however, 10 core instead of 8  )

I can literally set it all up as the 3615xs and then Change the loader to the 3622XS (or 3167xs) and it fails at pat install exactly the same - I can then rebuild the loader back to a 3615xs and it works again (although have to reinstall the .pAT)- Have been at it all day now - I mean it doesn't matter TOO much as its working - but I am intrigued!

Edited by J3d1UK

To follow up and this, I have solved the problem with not being able to use the DS3622xs Image!

Simply put it was the P840AR card was in HBA mode, as i would believe it should be! (and worked on 3615xs) I changed it back into "RAID" mode, set up a RAID0 for all the drives seperately (so they present as a single drive) and voila, All working now.

The problem I have is, with the controller in RAID mode, I believe this is non optimal for something that uses software RAID.....Still very strange it works on the 3615xs image and not the 3622!

I'll keep beavering away!

Hi I can't find discs on the Intel NUC BNUC11ATKC40002. Is only has a 1 PCIe SSD slot. There is also a SATA controller, but no SATA port.

I followed this guide for DS918+ and it works very well on an old laptop with SATA, but not on my new Intel NUC. Is there any chance to get it to run?

When I reach the web screen from Synology, I said no discs available.

Thank you

Edited by sten12341

10 minutes ago, sten12341 said:

Hi I can't find discs on the Intel NUC BNUC11ATKC40002. Is only has a 1 PCIe SSD slot. There is also a SATA controller, but no SATA port.

I followed this guide for DS918+ and it works very well on an old laptop with SATA, but not on my new Intel NUC. Is there any chance to get it to run?

When I reach the web screen from Synology, I said no discs available.

Thank you

Are these specs for your Nuc ?

According to this specification, the SSD is not a regular SSD, but an M.2 SSD.
In case of NVMe, it only works as a cache.
Using the disk looks tough.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/217669/intel-nuc-11-essential-kit-nuc11atkc4.html

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

Are these specs for your Nuc ?

According to this specification, the SSD is not a regular SSD, but an M.2 SSD.
In case of NVMe, it only works as a cache.
Using the disk looks tough.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/217669/intel-nuc-11-essential-kit-nuc11atkc4.html

Hi yes, only M.2 PCIe available and USB slots. And I thought it will make no difference when I was buying it...but now...

Hello DSM & TCRP experts,

I need your help after spending days stuck in upgrading my DSM 6.2 setup with Jun's loader to the 7.0.1 with TCRP, here are the details:

The starting point is:

• Synology Model DS3615xs
  • DSM version: DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2
  • A SAS LSI Megaraid card with 6 Sata disks
  • 2 Sata SSD I was using for caching (I removed this cache before the installation)

The procedure to create the loader I am following is:

1. ./rploader.sh update now
  2. ./rploader.sh fullupgrade now
  3. ./rploader.sh serialgen DS3615xs realmac (I after update the serial in user_config.json to set the current 6.2.3 serial)
  4. ./rploader.sh identifyusb now
  5. ./rploader.sh satamap now -> override the number of sata disks to 2
  6. ./rploader.sh ext ds3615xs-7.0.1-42218 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/megaraid_sas/rpext-index.json
  7. ./rploader.sh build ds3615xs-7.0.1-42218

You can find attached:

• The output of the dmesg command executed from the tinycore shell
  • The output of the ./rploader.sh satamap where you can see the errors "lspci: -s: Invalid slot number"
  • The output of the build
  • The user_config.json that I later slightly customized through my multiple tries to support the SHR1 I have currently and do not have HD compatibility issues wit DSM

After reboot, the loader seems to load correctly up to the "Booting the Kernel" message on the screen but after:

• The DSM is not connecting to the network, not visible from synology assistant, etc...
  • The link led of the ethernet port stops blinking, it becomes off!

What can be wrong I could investigate further?

Thanks.

dmesg.txt satamap.log build.log user_config.json

8 hours ago, Mokai said:

Hello DSM & TCRP experts,

I need your help after spending days stuck in upgrading my DSM 6.2 setup with Jun's loader to the 7.0.1 with TCRP, here are the details:

The starting point is:

• Synology Model DS3615xs
  • DSM version: DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2
  • A SAS LSI Megaraid card with 6 Sata disks
  • 2 Sata SSD I was using for caching (I removed this cache before the installation)

The procedure to create the loader I am following is:

1. ./rploader.sh update now
  2. ./rploader.sh fullupgrade now
  3. ./rploader.sh serialgen DS3615xs realmac (I after update the serial in user_config.json to set the current 6.2.3 serial)
  4. ./rploader.sh identifyusb now
  5. ./rploader.sh satamap now -> override the number of sata disks to 2
  6. ./rploader.sh ext ds3615xs-7.0.1-42218 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/megaraid_sas/rpext-index.json
  7. ./rploader.sh build ds3615xs-7.0.1-42218

You can find attached:

• The output of the dmesg command executed from the tinycore shell
  • The output of the ./rploader.sh satamap where you can see the errors "lspci: -s: Invalid slot number"
  • The output of the build
  • The user_config.json that I later slightly customized through my multiple tries to support the SHR1 I have currently and do not have HD compatibility issues wit DSM

After reboot, the loader seems to load correctly up to the "Booting the Kernel" message on the screen but after:

• The DSM is not connecting to the network, not visible from synology assistant, etc...
  • The link led of the ethernet port stops blinking, it becomes off!

What can be wrong I could investigate further?

Thanks.

dmesg.txt 52.46 kB · 2 downloads satamap.log 1.3 kB · 2 downloads build.log 16.68 kB · 0 downloads user_config.json 1.64 kB · 0 downloads

Let's assume you are in a baremetal environment.

The last log in dmesg says your e1000e is linked up.

[ 46.445091] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth0: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: Rx/Tx

However, after that, something seems to have caused this e1000e to stop working.
I suspect there is a conflict with the nic driver.
There are no logs to pinpoint exactly.

In the junior mode, which is the installation stage of DSM,
You should analyze the log file /var/log/linuxrc.syno.log.
You should collect this log file after ttyd or telnet connection through the spare nic.
Another way you can do without a nic is through a serial port.

For now, the former seems to be the easiest.

On 11/16/2022 at 12:54 PM, J3d1UK said:

To follow up and this, I have solved the problem with not being able to use the DS3622xs Image!

Simply put it was the P840AR card was in HBA mode, as i would believe it should be! (and worked on 3615xs) I changed it back into "RAID" mode, set up a RAID0 for all the drives seperately (so they present as a single drive) and voila, All working now.

The problem I have is, with the controller in RAID mode, I believe this is non optimal for something that uses software RAID.....Still very strange it works on the 3615xs image and not the 3622!

I'll keep beavering away!

You should definitely present the individual drives to DSM if you can, rather than using hardware RAID (particularly RAID0, which give you no redundancy at all).

The P840AR card uses the 'hpsa' driver, which you will need to specify when you build the loader. Without the driver loaded DSM won't be able to see any of the drives. It may be that the DS3615xs kernel has the driver compiled in, but I know for a fact that DS3622xs+ doesn't as I have to manually specify it for the P222 card I use on my DS3622xs+. You'll also need to ensure your satamap and diskidx values are set correctly for your hardware in the user_config.json

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

You should definitely present the individual drives to DSM if you can, rather than using hardware RAID (particularly RAID0, which give you no redundancy at all).

The P840AR card uses the 'hpsa' driver, which you will need to specify when you build the loader. Without the driver loaded DSM won't be able to see any of the drives. It may be that the DS3615xs kernel has the driver compiled in, but I know for a fact that DS3622xs+ doesn't as I have to manually specify it for the P222 card I use on my DS3622xs+. You'll also need to ensure your satamap and diskidx values are set correctly for your hardware in the user_config.json

I've used ARPL instead which apparantly autodetects and has all the drivers built in - but still wont work without doing hardware raid (on the 3622 image) - I believe when I used TCRP method i set satamap and diskidx to something like 0 and 0x0 - or something similar, given there are no SATA controllers present (was the same for Both the 3615 and 3622 images - although recognised drives in both - just wouldnt install DSM after 50+ % on the 3622)

Edited by J3d1UK

Hi to everyone! I've a big problem: I had a working 918+ DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 2 with RedPill Tinycore 0.45 with 6 HDD.
I tried to install DSM 7.1.1-42962 with RedPill Tinycore 0.93 USING A SECOND USB DRIVE and OTHERS 6 HDD. I also updated it to 7.1.1-42962 update 2, and all worked perfectly!
Then I used A THIRD USB drive, and I tried to update the original 6 HDD from DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 2 to 7.1.1-42962, using RedPill Tinycore 0.93.
The update process failed.
IMG_20221117_185945.thumb.jpg.83244b0cff2a7ff5825571e805ffa8c8.jpg
Now there's no way to make it working. I tried the last USB drive (7.1.1-42962 with RedPill Tinycore 0.93), but also the first USB drive (DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 2 with RedPill Tinycore 0.45). In both cases the installation process find a previous installed DSM
IMG_20221117_194710.thumb.jpg.9413239086d6307b51a3dc92af995bba.jpg
it try to repair it, but on next boot it informs me that an error has occured.
IMG_20221117_201908.thumb.jpg.fb781e64cffcd6a1ac8d157e5c283fea.jpg
What can I try to do?
These are commands I used for upgrade (with no success) from DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 2 with RedPill Tinycore 0.45 to DSM 7.1.1-42962 with RedPill Tinycore 0.93:

./rploader.sh identifyusb
./rploader.sh serialgen DS918+ realmac
./rploader.sh satamap
./rploader.sh backup now
./rploader.sh ext ds918p-7.1.1-42962 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/redpill-load/develop/redpill-acpid/rpext-index.json
./rploader.sh build ds918p-7.1.1-42962 withfriend

Thanks for your support!

17 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Let's assume you are in a baremetal environment.

The last log in dmesg says your e1000e is linked up.

[ 46.445091] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth0: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: Rx/Tx

However, after that, something seems to have caused this e1000e to stop working.
I suspect there is a conflict with the nic driver.
There are no logs to pinpoint exactly.

In the junior mode, which is the installation stage of DSM,
You should analyze the log file /var/log/linuxrc.syno.log.
You should collect this log file after ttyd or telnet connection through the spare nic.
Another way you can do without a nic is through a serial port.

For now, the former seems to be the easiest.

Following your mention to the junior mode, I took a new look at the troubleshooting section of https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/62221-tutorial-installmigrate-to-dsm-7x-with-tinycore-redpill-tcrp-loader/ and considered building the loader for another model: by choosing the DS3622xs+ I no longer got that NIC issue and have even been able to upgrade to 7.1.1! so far so good.

Although I am a little bit frustrated to not understand why it works now, I am really happy to have been able to complete that challenge! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

I'm having a question regarding tinycore install on existing proxmox dsm vm.

Previously, i build loader from another tinycore vm and then importing to my dsm vm.

With the last dsm update and to be more confortable, i'd like to know how to add tinycore build loader to anexisting dsm vm without it.

Thanks for your support.

21 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

Sorry again for the re-quote - Could you be so kind as to tell me how to add the hpsa driver, Im loathed to start transfering all my data from my Microserver gen8 before doing this.

17 hours ago, Mokai said:

Following your mention to the junior mode, I took a new look at the troubleshooting section of https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/62221-tutorial-installmigrate-to-dsm-7x-with-tinycore-redpill-tcrp-loader/ and considered building the loader for another model: by choosing the DS3622xs+ I no longer got that NIC issue and have even been able to upgrade to 7.1.1! so far so good.

Although I am a little bit frustrated to not understand why it works now, I am really happy to have been able to complete that challenge! :)

Thanks for the link! I realized I should have created these folders

rm -rf /mnt/sdb3/auxfiles; rm -rf /home/tc/custom-module

upgrading from 7.0.1 to 7.1.1. Now it's all working! 

PS: I didn't have to change platform (DS3622xs+) to make it working

On 11/17/2022 at 3:24 PM, WiteWulf said:

Jusr done this manually - still fails at same point, fans ramp up on the server at about 60% indicating the P840AR card has crashed, seems to be the problem and nothing I can do to fix it....disappointing.

EDIT: Just flashed back to 3615xs and all working....so, basically, its the "updated" images such as 3622xs / process being pulled thats the problem.  Glad its not me.

Edited by J3d1UK

@J3d1UK it's an extra invocation of rploader before you build, eg:

(this is the example held within the rploader script itself)

Just run rploader.sh with no arguments to see the help, it'll show you the syntax for adding, removing and listing mods

In the above example "ext" specifies you're doing something with extensions (drivers mostly, but there's other stuff supported but this method)), followed by the target platform (apollolake-7.0.1-42218 in this case), then "add" (you're adding an extension) and finally the URI of the json file for the extension.

You'd probably want something more like the following (I'm not guaranteeing this will work, please check it an adapt it to your own needs):