XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

On 1/14/2023 at 11:58 PM, personany said:

tried ds3617 dsm 7.1.1/ds3615xs dsm 6.2.4 tcrp 0.9.4. 

jun ds3617xs dsm 6.1.7 bootloader is now installed. 

I assume that the motherboard does not support AHCI, maybe because of this?

Why are you trying outdated version 6.2.4?

Do you think it's because your PC's specifications are too low?

Rather, try the latest version, 7.1.1-42962, and try migrating to the latest optimized loader.

I also migrated from 6.2.3 to 7.0 and have been using it for a year without any problems.

For the loader, please try the M SHELL for TCRP FRIEND in the link below.

It has a user-friendly menu that is easy to use.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.3.0-1

• Like 2

I just tried to update from 7.1.1-42962 U1 to U3. Now my machine will not start. It's in a recovery loop. I tried to run the postupdate command when I go in the loader from GRUB, but that gives kernel panic errors.

What has happened? How can I fix this? Thanks in advance! I'm on loader 0.9.3.0. I tried to upgrade to 0.9.4.0 but that didn't help. Also, what's weird, when I do the postupdate command it says the version is U2.

Never mind, got it working follow this post: 

Edited by Bose321

В 16.01.2023 в 06:55 Питер Сух сказал:

Why are you trying outdated version 6.2.4?

Do you think it's because your PC's specifications are too low?

Rather, try the latest version, 7.1.1-42962, and try migrating to the latest optimized loader.

I also migrated from 6.2.3 to 7.0 and have been using it for a year without any problems.

For the loader, please try the M SHELL for TCRP FRIEND in the link below.

It has a user-friendly menu that is easy to use.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.3.0-1

the problem is that my motherboard does not support ahci mode, and for 7 it is necessary.  I saw 3615 25556 in rptc in the script. and suggested that you can try it.

but the bootloader does not correctly detect sataport.

motherboard g41m-combo.

this dsm for backup.  on the main dsm on 7.

Edited by personany

After being point here from The arpl thread I’m attempting to install tcrp using the menu. I have booted into the image to be presented with a never ending “waiting on internet activation” error. And yes before anyone asks the obvious I have 3 current lan connections to this box. 1 1gb copper and 2 10gb fibers. It’s not lack of connectivity. 

thanks.

On 1/21/2023 at 10:08 PM, Andy Miller said:

After being point here from The arpl thread I’m attempting to install tcrp using the menu. I have booted into the image to be presented with a never ending “waiting on internet activation” error. And yes before anyone asks the obvious I have 3 current lan connections to this box. 1 1gb copper and 2 10gb fibers. It’s not lack of connectivity. 

thanks.

Try to disable two of them, or remove 10Gbit card
I had to do to install my xpenology on Gen 8 microserver 

Edited by Aigor

ds918, 7.1.1 42661 U1. Looking to update to 7.1.1 42962 U3.

I manually updated the DSM via GUI. Rebooted into tcrp 0.9.4. Ran full upgrade and post update command but it says version available is 42962 U2? Reluctantly i let it proceed with that. After my box seems to boot correctly. DSM info shows im at DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 3

Should i be concerned that i ran tcrp and let its do it post update stuff for U2?

On 1/17/2023 at 9:29 AM, Kaneske said:

Just swap it and you’re good to go.

i just replaced the cpu in my DS918+ baremetal setup to an Intel i7-8700. Its supposed to be 6 cores/12 hreads. However /proc/cpuninfo shows me 8 cpus(0-7).

When i ran the your tool to update info in DSM. DSM shows me 6 Cores (1 CPU/6 Cores | 8 Threads)

I bought the cpu fom ebay and it is a i7-8700. 

So now im wondering if the the CPU is bad, not all its cores are working? or is it simply a Snology OS/DSM thing that its not showing me the right # of cpu/threads even in /proc/cpuinfo?

I did simply just swap out my cpu. Do i need to rebuild from tcrp lader again perhaps to get the new cpu detected properly?

EDIT: so reading up more on this. Seems like this is an old issue from Jun loaders days and there is some hard limit on # of cpus in Synology's linux kernel

Edited by alirz1

10 hours ago, alirz1 said:

ds918, 7.1.1 42661 U1. Looking to update to 7.1.1 42962 U3.

I manually updated the DSM via GUI. Rebooted into tcrp 0.9.4. Ran full upgrade and post update command but it says version available is 42962 U2? Reluctantly i let it proceed with that. After my box seems to boot correctly. DSM info shows im at DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 3

Should i be concerned that i ran tcrp and let its do it post update stuff for U2?

If bootloader was not updated, yes.
Sonoloygy does not always update it with minor patches that is why u still see U2

15 minutes ago, alirz1 said:

i just replaced the cpu in my DS918+ baremetal setup to an Intel i7-8700. Its supposed to be 6 cores/12 hreads. However /proc/cpuninfo shows me 8 cpus(0-7).

When i ran the your tool to update info in DSM. DSM shows me 6 Cores (1 CPU/6 Cores | 8 Threads)

So now im wondering if the the CPU is bad, not all its cores are working? or is it simply a Snology OS/DSM thing that its not showing me the right # of cpu/threads even in /proc/cpuinfo?

I did simply just swap out my cpu. Do i need to rebuild from tcrp lader again perhaps to get the new cpu detected properly?

EDIT: so reading up more on this. Seems like this is an old issue from Jun loaders days and there is some hard limit on # of cpus in Synology's linux kernel

Yes read this guide to see the limits for each platform. As you mentioned the DS918+ cannot have more than 8 cores...

Install DS3622xs+ if you want to have more cores.

Edited by gadreel
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, alirz1 said:

I have the exact same CPU.  I'm sure that FOXBI's Info Center CPU modifier will show the correct Intel info, but yes, sadly, why I don't know...it does seem that Synology has a hard limit on Cores/Threads.  Seems like a totally useless thing to do, never found a worthy explanation for it, but it is what it is.  You can see the current reflected support with DSM 7:

So if DSM is hard limited, makes it kind of pointless to get extra beefy CPU, unless you are going to build a model that supports those Cores/Threads fully.  Maybe future revisions will open these arbitrary limitations, to allow more horsepower to be used.  Having said this, there are certainly additional benefits from many of the newer generation CPU's and just because all of the Cores/Threads aren't always being used, you'll have motherboards with faster chipsets, memory bandwidth, more SATA ports, NVMe storage options, etc. etc. so it's not all bad just because the CPU doesn't get utilized fully.

Edited by gericb
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, gericb said:

I have the exact same CPU.  I'm sure that FOXBI's Info Center CPU modifier will show the correct Intel info, but yes, sadly, why I don't know...it does seem that Synology has a hard limit on Cores/Threads.  Seems like a totally useless thing to do, never found a worthy explanation for it, but it is what it is.  You can see the current reflected support with DSM 7:

So if DSM is hard limited, makes it kind of pointless to get extra beefy CPU, unless you are going to build a model that supports those Cores/Threads fully.  Maybe future revisions will open these arbitrary limitations, to allow more horsepower to be used.  Having said this, there are certainly additional benefits from many of the newer generation CPU's and just because all of the Cores/Threads aren't always being used, you'll have motherboards with faster chipsets, memory bandwidth, more SATA ports, NVMe storage options, etc. etc. so it's not all bad just because the CPU doesn't get utilized fully.

Yeh i was using a 3622xs built on the old processor. But switched ot ds918 for Plex's HW decoding but im realizing this cpu limit with the new processor. Cant even go back to ds3622 as that doesnt support HW decoding.

4 hours ago, alirz1 said:

Yeh i was using a 3622xs built on the old processor. But switched ot ds918 for Plex's HW decoding but im realizing this cpu limit with the new processor. Cant even go back to ds3622 as that doesnt support HW decoding.

I'm still at a loss to understand why Plex software itself, if it can be install on a Synology/QNAP/Unraid etc. or with the aid of some add-on software, can't directly take advantage of the Intel QuickSync instruction set.  Having a platform functionality deficient in this way, is astonishing and ludicrous, it should be platform agnostic. I'm sure there are folks that have more content, than a 918/920 can cost effectively hold, so something like a 3622 with HW transcoding would make total sense.  Having said that, this would imply such a possibility given that the 3615/3617 aren't intended to HW transcode, but yet, this seems to makes it possible.  Soooo, maybe it could work on 3622. 🤠

https://github.com/wirgen/synocodectool-patch

On 6/22/2022 at 7:32 AM, cferra said:

That card should be supported in dsm I believe according to the compatibility list.  Try removing the detected extension before you build. 

you make also have to remove the line in the xml “disable 10g nic” to get it to work

@cferra

By any chance, the meaning of deleting the line with "disable 10g nic" in xml means to delete the line "support_bde_internal_10g": "no", in user_config.json?

Edited by Peter Suh

19 hours ago, gericb said:

I'm still at a loss to understand why Plex software itself, if it can be install on a Synology/QNAP/Unraid etc. or with the aid of some add-on software, can't directly take advantage of the Intel QuickSync instruction set.  Having a platform functionality deficient in this way, is astonishing and ludicrous, it should be platform agnostic. I'm sure there are folks that have more content, than a 918/920 can cost effectively hold, so something like a 3622 with HW transcoding would make total sense.  Having said that, this would imply such a possibility given that the 3615/3617 aren't intended to HW transcode, but yet, this seems to makes it possible.  Soooo, maybe it could work on 3622. 🤠

https://github.com/wirgen/synocodectool-patch

I had previously tried that synocodec tool with no luck for whatever reason. I think the issues related to HW transcoding are more from Synology rather than Plex itself.

Hello, 

Wen i try to install dsm 42218 no matter what harware i get this error:

[#] Verifying /home/tc/redpill-load/cache/dva3221_42218.pat file... [ERR]
[!] Checksum mismatch - expected 01f101d7b310c857e54b0177068fb7250ff722dc9fa2472b1a48607ba40897ee but computed 6722c73c51070dde2f542659d7728c497fc846256da2c9cf017177476de0bb09

It only let's me install higher versions like 7.1  or 7.11

Thank you for your help

• Like 1

Hello guys.

I have a problem with the my.sh script.

The script goes OK with the build DSM3622-42962

I do a reboot and the base system boots ok.

The base system ask for the DSM 42962 pat file. I select the file and click next, but always I got the error below attached.

Anyone has a solution for that?

I tried another builds and i gave same error.

error2.PNG

error3.PNG

error1.PNG

3 hours ago, sbromulo said:

Hello guys.

The base system ask for the DSM 42962 pat file. I select the file and click next, but always I got the error below attached.

error2.PNG

error3.PNG

error1.PNG

I believe this failure happens when your usb drive's PID/VID are not set correctly. Also verify sata and disk map values.

12 hours ago, alirz1 said:

I believe this failure happens when your usb drive's PID/VID are not set correctly. Also verify sata and disk map values.

I´m not using usb, I´m using virtual box / vmware workstation (vmdk bootloader)

Is there some special configuration when using virtualized environments?

The script my.sh give me option to change sata map, I tried both answers: same problem.

On 2/6/2023 at 4:37 PM, sbromulo said:

Hello guys.

error2.PNG

error3.PNG

error1.PNG

I made a baremetal test. Works perfectly!!! Also made version update on my hp microserver gen8.

12 часов назад, alirz1 сказал:

Anyone here tried those sata port multipliers I,e those that plug into a nvme slot to give you regular 5-6 sata ports? I’m wondering how would it be detected by the tcrp loader?

Those are not sata multipiers, those are pcie sata controllers. And yes, I use 2-port ASM1061 — works like a charm, DSM7.1.1/DS918+ ARPL.