XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

1 hour ago, WiteWulf said:

@J3d1UK it's an extra invocation of rploader before you build, eg:

(this is the example held within the rploader script itself)

Just run rploader.sh with no arguments to see the help, it'll show you the syntax for adding, removing and listing mods

In the above example "ext" specifies you're doing something with extensions (drivers mostly, but there's other stuff supported but this method)), followed by the target platform (apollolake-7.0.1-42218 in this case), then "add" (you're adding an extension) and finally the URI of the json file for the extension.

You'd probably want something more like the following (I'm not guaranteeing this will work, please check it an adapt it to your own needs):

Hi Mate,

Cheers for the reply, yep, added that manually a few days ago (although it had already added and built it in - hence why it was working correctly when creating a hardware RAID in the BIOS) It appears whatever version of the HPSA driver is being added via the pocopico repository isn't suitable for the P840AR controller on a 3622xs-7.1.1-42962  sadly, as soon as it gets to installing the PAT it simply crashes the card (when in HBA mode).  I can only presume the DS3615xs image build is using an older version of this driver? - Again, works fine with that one!

EDIT: Just tried an older version of DSM DS3622xs-7.0.1-42218 - Installs fine.....so its the recent images that are broken (for me)

So the question is - What is different between 7.0.1 and 7.1.1 images that are being built...

Edited by J3d1UK

Does baremetal based on ds3622xs+ not support intel quicksync for HW video transcoding(for plex)?

EDIT: ignore. guess i found the answer on the DSM 7 loaders page, theres a table there that shows this model not support intel quicksync.

A follow up question. Can quicksync support be enabled in the ds3622 model somehow?

Edited by alirz1

4 hours ago, alirz1 said:

Does baremetal based on ds3622xs+ not support intel quicksync for HW video transcoding(for plex)?

EDIT: ignore. guess i found the answer on the DSM 7 loaders page, theres a table there that shows this model not support intel quicksync.

A follow up question. Can quicksync support be enabled in the ds3622 model somehow?

Short answer is no unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

SLOW TRANSFER SPEEDS

Trying to transfer my data from my old NAS (HP Microserver Gen 8 - Baremetal)  to my New NAS (HP DL380 G9 12 Bay LFF - ESXI).

Both have the same 10GBE X520-T2 card in them (aswell as the built in cards), patch cable between them, have them both running a DS3622xs 7.1.1-42962 image.

I have set the IP addresses on a different range for both X520-T2 cards within Synology (192.168.5.x)

Mounted a virtual folder in the new NAS from the old on in Filestation using CIFS (\\192.168.1.x\Backupfolder)

When i try and transfer from the Mounted folder to the new folder in diskstation to migrate the data (by dragging and dropping) I get an initial transfer speed of 160MB/s - after around 3-4 minutes that then drops to 60 mb/s (ish).

I have enabled MTU 9000 on both network cards in DSM (and also i in ESXI for the virtual card) - link speed showing at 10000mbps as it should, jumbo packets enabled.

I have around 20TB to transfer so this isn't acceptable - any ideas? - I cannot run both machine as baremetal sadly as the DS3622xs image simply kernel panicks the P840AR HBA when trying to instal the .pat (thats why ive had to settle for virtual)

@J3d1UK I honestly don't know why it's working inconsistently between DSM versions for you. However, you may have more success asking outside of the TCRP thread. While you're *using* TCRP as your boot loader, I'm not convinced it's completely to blame for your problem. Post a detailed description of your problem in General Installation subforum and you may get more eyes, including people who have similar hardware.

31 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

@J3d1UK I honestly don't know why it's working inconsistently between DSM versions for you. However, you may have more success asking outside of the TCRP thread. While you're *using* TCRP as your boot loader, I'm not convinced it's completely to blame for your problem. Post a detailed description of your problem in General Installation subforum and you may get more eyes, including people who have similar hardware.

Nobody answers any questions outside of the thread, i've tried before when i first ever installed Juns loader on a Microserver N54L and then a Microserver Gen 8, and I did that here 2 days ago https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/65689-ds3622xs-image-crashes-hp-dl380-gen9-p840ar-hba/- It seems nobody can / will help - They appear to be concentrating on getting the menus looking nicer...or adding a new way of doing exactly the same job that's already available but called something slightly different, or a different .sh version of it (Which is fine, its their own time and they are helping most people).  For clarity - The server has run for many years perfectly at work (For MUCH more intensive things)- in an ESXI environment, and is running now in ESXI perfectly, the drives have all been checked as perfect, and its happily running now - its the kernel / driver....and compatibility with the server hardware I would imagine (I can recreate the problem on another server with the same spec, processor, More RAM but using a P440ar RAID card and 24 x SFF drive bays - I'm lucky enough to have both, free from work)but given I'm using proper server grade hardware and not some cobbled together 20 year old parts which most people wont have access to - I would imagine its not an easy problem to fix or diagnose.

So, to confirm, its doesn't work on 2 different DL380 Gen9 Servers, with slightly different RAID cards and different drives - Both work with RAID enabled and singular RAID 0 created for each drive, both Kernel panic when HBA mode is enabled and you install the .pat file after loader creation.

The fact it works fine on the 3615xs "End of life image" means something has been changed in the newer images (3622xs+) and not changed in the 3615xs - Sadly i'm just not intellegent enough to know what that is or how i would go about rectifying it!

Edited by J3d1UK

3 hours ago, J3d1UK said:

Hi All,

SLOW TRANSFER SPEEDS

Trying to transfer my data from my old NAS (HP Microserver Gen 8 - Baremetal)  to my New NAS (HP DL380 G9 12 Bay LFF - ESXI).

Both have the same 10GBE X520-T2 card in them (aswell as the built in cards), patch cable between them, have them both running a DS3622xs 7.1.1-42962 image.

I have set the IP addresses on a different range for both X520-T2 cards within Synology (192.168.5.x)

Mounted a virtual folder in the new NAS from the old on in Filestation using CIFS (\\192.168.1.x\Backupfolder)

When i try and transfer from the Mounted folder to the new folder in diskstation to migrate the data (by dragging and dropping) I get an initial transfer speed of 160MB/s - after around 3-4 minutes that then drops to 60 mb/s (ish).

I have enabled MTU 9000 on both network cards in DSM (and also i in ESXI for the virtual card) - link speed showing at 10000mbps as it should, jumbo packets enabled.

I have around 20TB to transfer so this isn't acceptable - any ideas? - I cannot run both machine as baremetal sadly as the DS3622xs image simply kernel panicks the P840AR HBA when trying to instal the .pat (thats why ive had to settle for virtual)

Try doing  doing the copy using rsync?

35 minutes ago, J3d1UK said:

Sadly not, same outcome - great suggestion that I had not tried however, so I appreciate the suggestion. 

Its possible your issues are with the RAID card drivers. For what its worth, i have two generic baremetal xpenology units, regular intel i3, 4GB ram, both running TCRP and on DSM 7.1.x DSM. I sync them using rsync and i dont seem to have any issues with speed. They are on gigabit LAN and rsync easily mantains the 100-120MBMB/s betweent he two units.

Im not too familiar with HW raid cards. But is it possible to not use the HW raid and just use synology's software raid for the drives?

1 hour ago, alirz1 said:

Its possible your issues are with the RAID card drivers. For what its worth, i have two generic baremetal xpenology units, regular intel i3, 4GB ram, both running TCRP and on DSM 7.1.x DSM. I sync them using rsync and i dont seem to have any issues with speed. They are on gigabit LAN and rsync easily mantains the 100-120MBMB/s betweent he two units.

Im not too familiar with HW raid cards. But is it possible to not use the HW raid and just use synology's software raid for the drives?

Sadly not, the kernel for 3622xs crashes the Raid card when in HBA mode - but you are probably onto something - this project certainly doesnt seem to like my hardware (edit:  Ive just tried ubuntu booted from USB on the microserver to to a ubuntu boot CD mounted in esxi and all was very speedy and stable, so more than likely xpenology again sadly - its appears to hate me) 

9 hours ago, J3d1UK said:

Sadly not, the kernel for 3622xs crashes the Raid card when in HBA mode - but you are probably onto something - this project certainly doesnt seem to like my hardware (edit:  Ive just tried ubuntu booted from USB on the microserver to to a ubuntu boot CD mounted in esxi and all was very speedy and stable, so more than likely xpenology again sadly - its appears to hate me) 

I guess another way you could test is, if you have two usb3 external drives or usb3 flash drives. You can plug and mount one on each server within dsm and then do a file copy between the usb drives. This would bypass the raid drives but you would still be within dsm/xpenology and verify if transfer speeds are limited by the loader. Just a thought.

8 hours ago, altas said:

@J3d1UK
i had similar issue with my HP GEN9 DL160 and 
P440 RaidCard.. i switched back to ESXI Host on the DL160.

and i noticed the same Speed Issue as i started to transfer the Data.

as i use this as only Storage System and not Productiv its OK for me

Yep, it does seem to be a limitation sadly, Looks like I will just set up rsync and wait a long time for the data to sync / copy over from one to the other - OR finally take the plunge into a supported system, sadly as time has gone on it appears Xpenology isnt feasible anymore given the amount of little problems that appear, which is a shame as I love the Synology Surveillance station and how it integrates with Home assistant.

8 hours ago, alirz1 said:

I guess another way you could test is, if you have two usb3 external drives or usb3 flash drives. You can plug and mount one on each server within dsm and then do a file copy between the usb drives. This would bypass the raid drives but you would still be within dsm/xpenology and verify if transfer speeds are limited by the loader. Just a thought.

I contemplated this but the USB drives I have, in ideal situations transfer at around 80mb/s MAX so wouldnt really show any meaningful information - I do have a couple of spare nvme drives I could try with, but I would imagine that those are nigh on impossible to get working with Xpenology.

Good Evening.

I have loaded up an ESXI7 vm with tinycore, followed the guides etc and got it to the point where its loaded and detects my 100gb virtual hard disk on sata 1:0 but after i install it reboots and then it tells me ive moved my drives and asks to recover and at that point its in a loop, everytime i reboot it asks to recover.

Does anyone know how to get past this point??

Thanks.

Hey Guys, Im very new here. I got mine running a long time ago, got really busy and it wasn't strongly using.

Now I want to put in full usage. Here is my system:

DS918+

INTEL Celeron J3455

CPU 3.7 GHz

Ram 16 GB

DSM 6.2-23739

I want to upgrade to the latest version possible, (7.1.0-42661) I was reading some pages, I saw it changed and need a new loader. (TCRP 0.8)

The reason that I asking is because I work with photography and videos. I want to edit everything from the this machine. My intention is to create 10G network to speed this.

Im using 4 disks of 4TB.

All that I ask is answers for few questions please:
1. Is easier to start from scratch, (format all the drives) install directly 7.1.0? If yes can you provide me tutorial link?

2. If its not easier, I got the upgrade tutorial, all that I ask is... Do I need to update from 6.2.23 to 7.01 and then 7.1.0? Any pointer here I appreciate it.

3. I have ASUS Prime H410I-Plus with 918+, is this one the best for this hardware? How do you protect the computer from hackers? (Hardware firewall or?)

4. Any recommendations?

Thanks, 

I really appreciate it.

Fab

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 4.20.37 AM.png

Edited by fabriktwo

On 11/14/2022 at 3:14 PM, reizhi said:
polling_hdd_backplane.c:39 ioctl device failed

This error comes into /var/log/scemd.log every one minute, prevent my HDDs from hibernate.

Any help?

Where you able to find any solution? 
My logs are full of ... 

scemd[15206]: polling_hdd_backplane.c:39 ioctl device failed
 scemd[15206]: oob/oob_reg_read.c:46 Read OOB reg 316 failed, ret=-1

Hard drives doesn't spindown/hibernate. jbd2 writes logs on all internal drives. Other than that, everything works great.

Using DSM 7.1.1-42962 / DS3622xs+ on Hp microserver gen8.

I have two external drives connected on USB3. They are going to sleep as they should. :))

16 hours ago, fabriktwo said:

Hey Guys, Im very new here. I got mine running a long time ago, got really busy and it wasn't strongly using.

Now I want to put in full usage. Here is my system:

DS918+

INTEL Celeron J3455

CPU 3.7 GHz

Ram 16 GB

DSM 6.2-23739

I want to upgrade to the latest version possible, (7.1.0-42661) I was reading some pages, I saw it changed and need a new loader. (TCRP 0.8)

The reason that I asking is because I work with photography and videos. I want to edit everything from the this machine. My intention is to create 10G network to speed this.

Im using 4 disks of 4TB.

All that I ask is answers for few questions please:
1. Is easier to start from scratch, (format all the drives) install directly 7.1.0? If yes can you provide me tutorial link?

2. If its not easier, I got the upgrade tutorial, all that I ask is... Do I need to update from 6.2.23 to 7.01 and then 7.1.0? Any pointer here I appreciate it.

3. I have ASUS Prime H410I-Plus with 918+, is this one the best for this hardware? How do you protect the computer from hackers? (Hardware firewall or?)

4. Any recommendations?

Thanks, 

I really appreciate it.

Fab

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 4.20.37 AM.png

Try 7.1.1-42962 in the link below.
The latest version of TCRP, 0.9.3, is used.
ARPL-style menus are provided, and brief documentation is included at the link below.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.3.0-1

• Like 2

9 hours ago, alirz1 said:

Any way of changing serial and MAC of my baremetal unit remotely i.e im not physically at the location where the unit is located but i do have GUI and SSH access to it.

Its running the latest stable release of TCRP and DSM 7.1.x.

Connect via SSH and run the command below.
There may be multiple menu entries, so check which entry applies.
Edit and change as below.

mkdir -p /mnt/p1
cd /dev
sudo mount synoboot1 /mnt/p1
grep menuentry /mnt/p1/boot/grub/grub.cfg
sudo vi /mnt/p1/boot/grub/grub.cfg

On 11/26/2022 at 9:38 AM, Andy Miller said:

Good Evening.

I have loaded up an ESXI7 vm with tinycore, followed the guides etc and got it to the point where its loaded and detects my 100gb virtual hard disk on sata 1:0 but after i install it reboots and then it tells me ive moved my drives and asks to recover and at that point its in a loop, everytime i reboot it asks to recover.

Does anyone know how to get past this point??

Thanks.

Did you update to DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2 from a version earlier than DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2?
TCRP FRIEND has a built-in automatic postupdate patch function.
Try using my M Shell github as guided by @fabriktwo above.
Recovery will be attempted only the first time, after which the automatic postupdate will break the loop and normal use of DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2 will continue.

2 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Connect via SSH and run the command below.
There may be multiple menu entries, so check which entry applies.
Edit and change as below.

mkdir -p /mnt/p1
cd /dev
sudo mount synoboot1 /mnt/p1
grep menuentry /mnt/p1/boot/grub/grub.cfg
sudo vi /mnt/p1/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Thanks. I'll at least view the grub config to check. Any chance you think this could affect boot? I know that's a dumb question to ask.

I'm essentially looking to convert my ds3622xs+ to a ds920+ to enable HEVC support and also HW transcoding in Plex.

I have a feeling the model convert part can't be done remotely as that probably requires a loader rebuild?

4 minutes ago, alirz1 said:

Thanks. I'll at least view the grub config to check. Any chance you think this could affect boot? I know that's a dumb question to ask.

I'm essentially looking to convert my ds3622xs+ to a ds920+ to enable HEVC support and also HW transcoding in Plex.

I have a feeling the model convert part can't be done remotely as that probably requires a loader rebuild?

Are you a bare metal user?
Do I feel that way?
To switch the model to DS920+ you will need to rebuild the loader.
If it's bare metal, is there a solution to remotely connect to Tinycore?
I don't know how to do that yet.

8 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Are you a bare metal user?
Do I feel that way?
To switch the model to DS920+ you will need to rebuild the loader.
If it's bare metal, is there a solution to remotely connect to Tinycore?
I don't know how to do that yet.

Yeh it's barrmetal. But you think I can alteast change the Mac and serial remotely?  Thanks for confirming.

Edited by alirz1

43 minutes ago, alirz1 said:

Yeh it's barrmetal. But you think I can alteast change the Mac and serial remotely?  Thanks for confirming.

I was mistaken for a moment.
Even with baremetal Tinycore, loader build is possible as long as ssh connection is successful.
In the process, the SN and MAC addresses can be changed as much as you like.

The first time I mounted the P1, I assumed a normal Synology bootup with DSM booted up.
Which of the two is currently possible for accurate remote access?

Why is this curious
This is because it can be done without problems only by adjusting the default boot order in grub.cfg.