XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

1 hour ago, Dreadnought said:

Hi together, I am playing with Parallels as VM system and broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218

When I write the redpill-loader to an external SD card and boot via USB mode, I am able to install and use DSM successfully.

When I try to install it via SATA mode, DSM is not able to find the hard disks for installation.

As a SATA controller, Parallels is providing:

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 82801HR/HO/HH (ICH8R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [8086:2821] (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Parallels, Inc. Device [1ab8:0400]

redpill suggest the following SATA config:

• SataPortMap=1
  • DiskIdxMap=10

But with this config I can see under /dev/: synobios / synoboot / synoboot1 / synoboot2 & synoboot3, but the installation assistant is not able to find a hard disk.

When I use SDCard workaround, I am using the following SATA config:

• SataPortMap=1
  • DiskIdxMap=00

Any tipp what I can try?

serial_new.txt 231.29 kB · 0 downloads

on VMware, for sataboot, it is required to have the loader and the data disks on separate data controllers. Can you try that ?

47 minutes ago, pocopico said:

on VMware, for sataboot, it is required to have the loader and the data disks on separate data controllers. Can you try that ?

Hi @pocopico

I changed the data disk to an IDE controller (0:1) nothing changed.

When I look into the output of the lspci command, it looks like that all possible controllers are there at any time and not beginning at the moment you configured it and assign a hard disk to that controller. So should this be considered with the SasIdxMap, SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap setting?

data-controllers.png

lspci.txt

10 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

Hi @pocopico

I changed the data disk to an IDE controller (0:1) nothing changed.

When I look into the output of the lspci command, it looks like that all possible controllers are there at any time and not beginning at the moment you configured it and assign a hard disk to that controller. So should this be considered with the SasIdxMap, SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap setting?

data-controllers.png

lspci.txt 2.51 kB · 0 downloads

IDE will not work for sure as no ide drivers can be compiled for the platforms that I’ve tested. If you add one more sata controller otherwise you can stick with the usb loader.

also, what is the scsi controller pciid ?

Edited by pocopico

20 minutes ago, pocopico said:

IDE will not work for sure as no ide drivers can be compiled for the platforms that I’ve tested. If you add one more sata controller otherwise you can stick with the usb loader.

also, what is the scsi controller pciid ?

Hi @pocopico

when you look at the provided picture, that are all possible controller configurations.

So it is not possible to set the data disc to another SATA controller, only another SATA port.

I try one of the SCSI ports. All of these different controllers and ports come out-of-the-box.

UPDATE: Also the SCSI port is not recognized in the DSM installation wizzard.

As a notice, under arpl both, loader and data disk are recognized, but also the loader disk will be formatted while DSM is installed.

Edited by Dreadnought
SCSI port

I don't know why, but I am unable to edit my previous post.

@pocopicoI was able to successful install DSM via arpl (data-disk is recognized as disk #7):

Loader-disk via SATA 0:1 and data-disk via SCSI 0:0.

Back in TCRP, I tried the same config. The loader wants to install the mptspi extension.

While executing satamap I get the following output:

Spoiler
tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh satamap
Machine is VIRTUAL Hypervisor=KVM
Found SCSI HBAs, We need to install the SCSI modules
scsi-5.10.3-tinycore64 is already installed!
Succesfully installed SCSI modules

Found "00:1f.2 Intel Corporation 82801HR/HO/HH (ICH8R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 02)"
Detected 6 ports/1 drives. Mapping SATABOOT drive after maxdisks

Found SCSI/HBA "00:0f.0 LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI" (1 drives)
lspci: -s: Invalid slot number
Found SCSI/HBA "" (0 drives)
lspci: -s: Invalid bus number
Found SCSI/HBA "" (72 drives)

Computed settings:
SataPortMap=1
DiskIdxMap=10

Now, after creation of the loader, DSM wants to format 2 disks. 

So far so good, now both (loader and data disk) are recognized, but the installation wizard should only format the data-disk.

Any suggestion for the last step?

Edited by Dreadnought

for esxi is all the same and as other tuto you can check as well. tinytc on sata0 and sata1:0+ for new vm disk dsm install of proper size. No scsi and scsi don't give anything for the dsm install , you can put it after and add virtual disk is you want.

1 hour ago, docop1 said:

for esxi is all the same and as other tuto you can check as well. tinytc on sata0 and sata1:0+ for new vm disk dsm install of proper size. No scsi and scsi don't give anything for the dsm install , you can put it after and add virtual disk is you want.

As you said, this approach is working for ESXi, but not in Parallels. I have tested it many times. 

The process I described, is the only one I was able to but successfully and have two recognized disks.

Edited by Dreadnought
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 3:28 AM, Dreadnought said:

I don't know why, but I am unable to edit my previous post.

@pocopicoI was able to successful install DSM via arpl (data-disk is recognized as disk #7):

Loader-disk via SATA 0:1 and data-disk via SCSI 0:0.

Back in TCRP, I tried the same config. The loader wants to install the mptspi extension.

While executing satamap I get the following output:

satamap (Reveal hidden contents)
tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh satamap
Machine is VIRTUAL Hypervisor=KVM
Found SCSI HBAs, We need to install the SCSI modules
scsi-5.10.3-tinycore64 is already installed!
Succesfully installed SCSI modules

Found "00:1f.2 Intel Corporation 82801HR/HO/HH (ICH8R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 02)"
Detected 6 ports/1 drives. Mapping SATABOOT drive after maxdisks

Found SCSI/HBA "00:0f.0 LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI" (1 drives)
lspci: -s: Invalid bus number
Found SCSI/HBA "" (72 drives)

Computed settings:
SataPortMap=1
DiskIdxMap=10

Now, after creation of the loader, DSM wants to format 2 disks. 

So far so good, now both (loader and data disk) are recognized, but the installation wizard should only format the data-disk.

Any suggestion for the last step?

@pocopicodo you think that this is a matter of SasIdxMap, SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap setting?

Update:

with "SataPortMap": "42" & "DiskIdxMap": "0004" I am able to install DSM. The only thing is, that during installation I was ask to delete the 5 data disk and within DSM storage manager my first data disk is disk number 5. 

Which config I have to change to show my first data disk as number 1? 

I installed everything on my proxmox. Works good. Currently i'm using the develpment version.

But i got one problem: I can't get my 10GBit working. The adapter is found but it is at 1 GBit.

I used to change the network adapter in proxmox from virtio to vmxnet3 but nothing it only get 1000 MBit.

i tried adding the ext manually but nothing changed. What to do for running the VM at 10GBit?

On 8/1/2022 at 1:26 AM, Dreadnought said:

@pocopicodo you think that this is a matter of SasIdxMap, SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap setting?

Update:

with "SataPortMap": "42" & "DiskIdxMap": "0004" I am able to install DSM. The only thing is, that during installation I was ask to delete the 5 data disk and within DSM storage manager my first data disk is disk number 5. 

Which config I have to change to show my first data disk as number 1? 

Try put loader disk into SATA0:0 and use SataPortMap=1

The first disk will be 2, and it will not be possible to remove that first phantom disk, as using SataPortMap=0 causes kernel panic and non-SATA disks do not work with DiskIdxMap

36 minutes ago, Hemin said:

Hi, I have an app that uses dsm api and it need that the dsm have updates, etc connected. How i can enable update service? I have read something about delete example.com on some files... Any help? This will be for test purpose only

Rebuild your loader using JUN mode or JOT mode, then updating will work (use at your own risk)

On 8/2/2022 at 1:33 AM, fbelavenuto said:

Try put loader disk into SATA0:0 and use SataPortMap=1

The first disk will be 2, and it will not be possible to remove that first phantom disk, as using SataPortMap=0 causes kernel panic and non-SATA disks do not work with DiskIdxMap

Hi @fbelavenuto as you see here: 

I am not able to use SATA0:0. If I try 0:1 and SataPortMap=0 no disk will be found during the DSM Setup.

With "SataPortMap": "10" & "DiskIdxMap": "00" the installation is successful but the first used data disk within the storage manager is #2.

Not beautiful but at least functional.

I have a question, this was discussed before and I thought I bookmarked it, but I was wrong.  I have a remote headless baremetal build, and I need to edit the grub menu so on reboot it will boot back to TC automatically, so I can run the postupdate command, then edit the grub again so it will automatically boot from usb. I cant seem to find that post again.

This would be my steps

1. Edit grub to boot TC by default
  2. Update DSM to U3 and reboot into TC
  3. Connect to TC SSH run the postupdate commands
  4. Edit grub while in SSH of TC to boot USB by default
  5. Reboot and boot back to DSM as usual

4 hours ago, phone guy said:

I have a question, this was discussed before and I thought I bookmarked it, but I was wrong.  I have a remote headless baremetal build, and I need to edit the grub menu so on reboot it will boot back to TC automatically, so I can run the postupdate command, then edit the grub again so it will automatically boot from usb. I cant seem to find that post again.

This would be my steps

Why you don’t use juns mode, there you don’t have to concider the Update process?

9 hours ago, phone guy said:

This would be my steps

Somewhere on here, someone suggested:

Remove USB

Insert into your PC

Boot

run postupdate commands

return USB to headless box

I was building a system to try this but finger trouble got me into migrate mode which reset the BIOS which  trashes everything.

By the time I figured out what was happening and sorted it, I had lost all interest.

6 hours ago, Dreadnought said:

Why you don’t use juns mode, there you don’t have to concider the Update process?

I could do this, but I just saw the post somewhere here describing how to do exactly this process I described, I am on the hunt for that right now... if I dont find that, I may re-do that box as a DS920-JUN mode device, its a 4 bay with Pentium CPU so it will perform just like a 920, or close enough.  But thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, billat29 said:

Somewhere on here, someone suggested:

Remove USB

Insert into your PC

Boot

run postupdate commands

return USB to headless box

I was building a system to try this but finger trouble got me into migrate mode which reset the BIOS which  trashes everything.

By the time I figured out what was happening and sorted it, I had lost all interest.

As I said, its remote, I dont always have physical access to this device. Thats why I am trying to do it this way.  And as my reply above, I literally just saw a post explaining these needed steps, and I mistakenly did not bookmark the right post. For now I'm on a mission.

46 minutes ago, phone guy said:

As I said, its remote, I dont always have physical access to this device. Thats why I am trying to do it this way.  And as my reply above, I literally just saw a post explaining these needed steps, and I mistakenly did not bookmark the right post. For now I'm on a mission.

Ah yes! Would you post the link when you find it,  please?

Hi all

Is it possible to developp the loader for work with Virtuals Machines of "Virtual Machine Manager" ?

@pocopico i have testing multiple configuration for execute the loader in VVM but impossible. Would you have an idea ?

All the time, when i install DSM 7, i have an error message as  55% with an error reporting that the file is corrupt

I you want @pocopico, contact me in MP to recieve logs and others

Thanks in advance 

BR

THDJ

Hi,

im currently trying to install DSM7 on a ReadyNAS 2304. Everything is looking fine (Boot, Find Disks, generate Image etc.) but the USB Stick is not recognized.

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh identifyusb
Found more than one USB disk devices, please select which one is your loader on
1) SanDisk
2) Kingston
#? 1
Selected Device : SanDisk , with VendorID: 0x0781 and ProductID: 0x5151
Sorry, no usb disk could be identified

The Kingston is the USB Stick which is built in to the Device, the SAN Disk is the one i´m booting tinycore from.

After the reboot comes a grub message "grub_disk_native_sectors" not found and rescue Mode is appearing. Can sbd. tell me how to fix this issue?

Thanks in Advance :)

On 8/2/2022 at 9:05 PM, SebastianC said:

Hi,

im currently trying to install DSM7 on a ReadyNAS 2304. Everything is looking fine (Boot, Find Disks, generate Image etc.) but the USB Stick is not recognized.

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh identifyusb
Found more than one USB disk devices, please select which one is your loader on
1) SanDisk
2) Kingston
#? 1
Selected Device : SanDisk , with VendorID: 0x0781 and ProductID: 0x5151
Sorry, no usb disk could be identified

The Kingston is the USB Stick which is built in to the Device, the SAN Disk is the one i´m booting tinycore from.

After the reboot comes a grub message "grub_disk_native_sectors" not found and rescue Mode is appearing. Can sbd. tell me how to fix this issue?

Thanks in Advance :)

Other members have faced the same issue with DSM 7 and decided to go with DSM 6.2.3 instead.

Have a look at this thread:

• Like 1