XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

On 2/26/2022 at 7:12 PM, brickrat said:

Hi

I am still struggling with this.

I have a MSI desktop board, so this should have 1 controller with 4 SATA ports

Does not matter what options I use here I get either not disks found or some sata ports disabled.

Can someone please assist and tell me what I have to enter in the config file.

Any advice on this please?

49 minutes ago, brickrat said:

Any advice on this please?

Look for the Linux module for the Sata controller on the motherboard. If you can find anything then you can install 6.2.3, ssh in and lsmod to get all the modules being used. Post here and someone will be able to tell you what ext you need to add to the build for 7.0.1

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and try this loader, largely because I've just checked the energy usage of my Proxmox home lab and almost died of shock!  So I've stuck this onto one of my ancient HP N54L boxes.  And, frankly, it all seems far too easy...  I'm waiting for the server to freeze or reboot or burst into flames or summon the evil pixies of Beelzebub or something.  If this doesn't keel over in the next 48 hours, I'll be a very happy bunny indeed!

Thanks to @pocopico et al for all your sterling work so far on this.  If I can slash my home lab electricity costs enough, I might even be able to make a dent in the huge amount of cash I already owe the energy company :)

On 2/15/2022 at 12:37 PM, hendry said:

i follow the instruction step from this site https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill 

when i check the img file, it has not valid partition table.

why ?

fdisk -l /share/Public/XPE/syst/tinycore-redpill.v0.4.4_20220210_173245.img

Disk /share/Public/XPE/syst/tinycore-redpill.v0.4.4_20220210_173245.img: 0 MB, 0 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 0 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk /share/Public/XPE/syst/tinycore-redpill.v0.4.4_20220210_173245.img doesn't contain a valid partition table

but i can open .img file using 7zip and see the partition table inside.

redpill.png.597a4a509b52a8708c8e0ad1de808cde.png

i run the redpill script inside VM. 

anyone has some issue when compiling this loader ?

why it seems not valid partition on the compiled img file ?

@pocopico  Brother I appreciate absolutely all the work and others that have contributed to this project. Everything has been awesome. I just need to ask the favor, please show me how to switch the download from china to global? Everyday, after like 2000 its a roll of the dice to try and download. Most times it doesnt download AT ALL. I've wondered why you still have it that way when DS3615xs downloads from the global download link. Either way, if you dont want to change, thats fine, but just show me how to change it.  I've already tried and failed. No matter me changing the link and the md5 it keeps looking for the 256 key that was there so it makes me believe its also set somewhere else. Anyway, thanks in advances and please know I am grateful of your work.

1 hour ago, Dvalin21 said:

@pocopico  Brother I appreciate absolutely all the work and others that have contributed to this project. Everything has been awesome. I just need to ask the favor, please show me how to switch the download from china to global? Everyday, after like 2000 its a roll of the dice to try and download. Most times it doesnt download AT ALL. I've wondered why you still have it that way when DS3615xs downloads from the global download link. Either way, if you dont want to change, thats fine, but just show me how to change it.  I've already tried and failed. No matter me changing the link and the md5 it keeps looking for the 256 key that was there so it makes me believe its also set somewhere else. Anyway, thanks in advances and please know I am grateful of your work.

Once you have the .pat file, you can store it on your computer, and before starting build, just create the foler : /home/tc/redpill-load/cache/

and with your favorite transfer tool (WinSCP) copy your .pat file with the right expected name.

You will avoid china issue, and the need to re-download every time.

Edited by Orphée

Hi all,

I searched the whole forum and didn't find answer for my problem. I do all the USB key steps to set thing up and boot from USB. All is going good, find synlogy working well, i get the IP address and i start to installing the synology DSM_DS3615xs_42218.pat. On the screen it will start 10min countdown, then restart happen in about 2min in the installation and notebook again boot from the USB so i assume this is still good. But after 10min done it said "i cant find Synology something went wrong press to actualize!" . So i do press the button and ill get back to where i start and want me to start installation of synology DSM again.

Ill tried different setup for SataPortMap or so but it didn't work with any. Currently i have setup "SataPortMap": "1", "DiskIdxMap": "0C"

I have to say all HW and SW worked with JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3615xs, DSM 6.2.3-25423 without any problems.

Thanks for any help.

Hi all,

first, I would like to tank the xpenology team for the great work, and in this case, a special thanks to @pocopico.

I am trying to install redpill in my HP DL80 with proxmox 7.1, and install DS918+ because of the SHR support but in the installation of the *.pat file I get an error: "Fail to install DSM, was not possible to format disk". 

Any suggestion how to solve this?

Thanks.

Hi! I finaly have my DS918+ working! There are many "problems" that I can't understand; sorry for this long pot, I hope you can help me.

1. My mainboard has 6 onboard sata ports; I tried to install Xpenology connecting only one HDD, but in this situation I was not able to install DSM. When I connected all 6 HDD, I was able to succesfully install DSM. Why? How can I solve this problem? I'm asking this because if I will need to run the system without a (broken) HDD, I'm afraid I will could not.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fa3wrzhr3ft3emf/sataerror.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gizgdli6quz7pxg/satamap.jpg?dl=0

2. If I leave connected my SD Card reader, I can't write USB vendor ID on grub.cfg file. I had to fisically disconnect my SD card reader for correctly use my Sandisk USB pendrive
https://www.dropbox.com/s/037cjtuayhptqi3/usbboot.jpg?dl=0

3. I'm not able to know which is the REAL Mac Address of my integrated lan NIC, because FAKE Synology Mac Adress is displayed. How can I know the REAL Mac Address? I have to use it for DHCP server prenotation and WOL
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1requw76g5hskvk/macaddress.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xvlacqlmhpavs6/vendor.png?dl=0

This is my grub.cfg file:

#
# ### !!! WARNING - READ ME !!! ###
#
# DO NOT edit this file. This file has been generated automatically by the loader generator.
# If you were asked to use a pre-made image and asked by someone to edit this file DO NOT do it. The only
# supported method of obtaining the loader image is generating it using the loader generator provided.
#

terminal_output console
if serial --unit=0 --speed=115200; then
    terminal_input --append serial_com0
    terminal_output --append serial_com0
fi

set default="0"
set timeout="5"
set timeout_style="menu"

if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
    load_env --file $prefix/grubenv --skip-sig
    set has_env="1"
    if [ -n "${saved_entry}" ]; then
        set default="${saved_entry}"
    fi
else
    set has_env="0"
    echo "WARN: failed to load env. Default choice will NOT be saved!"
fi

function savedefault {
    saved_entry="${chosen}"
    save_env --file $prefix/grubenv saved_entry
}

insmod usb_keyboard
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
insmod fat
insmod linux
insmod gzio

set gfxmode=auto
insmod vbe
insmod vga

# UEFI
insmod efi_gop
insmod efi_uga

insmod font
if loadfont ${prefix}/unicode.pf2
then
    insmod gfxterm
    set gfxmode=auto
    set gfxpayload=keep
    terminal_output gfxterm
fi

menuentry 'RedPill DS918+ v7.0.1-42218 (USB, Verbose)' {
	savedefault
	set root=(hd0,msdos1)
	echo Loading Linux...
	linux /zImage withefi earlyprintk syno_hw_version=DS918+ console=ttyS0,115200n8 netif_num=1 pid=0x5583 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 syno_port_thaw=1 mac1=0011322A7C48 sn=1790PDN025020 vid=0x0781 elevator=elevator loglevel=15 HddHotplug=0 DiskIdxMap=00 syno_hdd_detect=0 vender_format_version=2 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=1 log_buf_len=32M root=/dev/md0 SataPortMap=6 
	echo Loading initramfs...
	initrd /rd.gz /custom.gz
	echo Starting kernel with USB boot
}

menuentry 'RedPill DS918+ v7.0.1-42218 (SATA, Verbose)' {
	savedefault
	set root=(hd0,msdos1)
	echo Loading Linux...
	linux /zImage withefi earlyprintk syno_hw_version=DS918+ console=ttyS0,115200n8 netif_num=1 pid=0x5583 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 synoboot_satadom=2 syno_port_thaw=1 mac1=0011322AXXXX sn=1790PDN02XXXX vid=0x0781 elevator=elevator loglevel=15 HddHotplug=0 DiskIdxMap=00 syno_hdd_detect=0 vender_format_version=2 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=1 log_buf_len=32M root=/dev/md0 SataPortMap=6 
	initrd /rd.gz /custom.gz
	echo Starting kernel with SATA boot
	echo WARNING: SATA boot support on this platform is experimental!
}

menuentry 'Tiny Core Image Build' {
        savedefault
        set root=(hd0,msdos3)
        echo Loading Linux...
        linux /vmlinuz64 loglevel=3 cde waitusb=5 vga=791
        initrd /corepure64.gz
        echo Booting TinyCore for loader creation
}

Hi all,
I searched the whole forum and didn't find answer for my problem. I do all the USB key steps to set thing up and boot from USB. All is going good, find synlogy working well, i get the IP address and i start to installing the synology DSM_DS3615xs_42218.pat. On the screen it will start 10min countdown, then restart happen in about 2min in the installation and notebook again boot from the USB so i assume this is still good. But after 10min done it said "i cant find Synology something went wrong press to actualize!" . So i do press the button and ill get back to where i start and want me to start installation of synology DSM again.
Ill tried different setup for SataPortMap or so but it didn't work with any. Currently i have setup "SataPortMap": "1", "DiskIdxMap": "0C"
I have to say all HW and SW worked with JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3615xs, DSM 6.2.3-25423 without any problems.

Thanks for any help.

Use 3622xs instead of te 3615

1 hour ago, Marvx said:

Hi all,

Thanks for any help.

Do you select USB boot at grub and do you have correct VID:PID ? Also what extensions are you using ? These might not load correctly and might end up in this install loop. 

18 minutes ago, pocopico said:

Do you select USB boot at grub and do you have correct VID:PID ? Also what extensions are you using ? These might not load correctly and might end up in this install loop. 

Hi, thanks alot for your answer.

And yes i doo use USB boot at grub. During USB boot i chose RedPill DS3615xs v7.0.1-42218 (USB, Verbose) option - so i hope that's correct

For VID:PID i use ./rploader.sh identifyusb now     during the USB key making as it should be.