XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

I've tried to transfer without luck the firmware and modules of the dvb usb Hauppage from the apollake 6.2.4 to apollake 7.0.1 where Synology remove the support for USB.

the version 7.0.1 have a new kernel compilation  180+, do you know if exist some way to recode the files *.ko directly to the new kernel version? I tried to search the source code of the usb to try to compile without luck :(

image.thumb.png.3790498ff51733480b4214fd95172aa2.png

BTW, for feedback for other people. I have HP Microserver gen8 until now with an i3-3220 working perfectly, the Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick works perfectly with the DSM 6.2.3U3 but when I've changed the CPU to a XEON 1260L 4 cores/8 threads  for my surprise the Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick not works anymore, the system is not able to load the USB. I can confirm that the USB works putting in other g7 where works.

this is the error after change the cpu to xeon:

image.thumb.png.130c0fd3ce60abbf1ce0578cb8ef56a0.png

Did you try to enable USB module :

http://www.jadahl.com/iperf-arp-scan/DSM_7.0/

Download driver you need and copy to your NAS.
Place the drivers in /lib/modules folder.
Then run:
sudo insmod /lib/modules/usbserial.ko
sudo insmod /lib/modules/cp210x.ko

If your driver is cp210x.ko.

You can also download the start-usb-drivers.sh script and copy to folder: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/start-usb-drivers.sh
Then: chmod +x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/start-usb-drivers.sh
The the drivers will be loaded when you reboot your NAS.

You must edit the start-usb-drivers.sh script if you want to load another driver.

/Jadahl

Edited by Orphée

9 minutes ago, Orphée said:

Did you try to enable USB module :

http://www.jadahl.com/iperf-arp-scan/DSM_7.0/

but that drivers I think is for domotic is serialusb. I've tried to execute the ismod of the *.ko files from the apolake 6.24 in the 7 but fail.

Do you think that process will work for a dvb usb?

currently I'm trying to do a installation of DSM 6.2.4 inside the VMM of the DSM7, yesterday I deployed inside a virtualDSM 6.2.4 but the problem is that is not allowed to connect USB from the host to the Virtual DSM :(

Edited by jarugut

14 hours ago, pocopico said:

i always like to start with SataPortMap=58 and DiskIdxMap=0800 and evaluate results accordingly 

10 hours ago, Dvalin21 said:

I started at default 58 and 0A00 and it worked for me

Please, is there a guide for this? I can't understand the logic behind SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap values

Just now, maxime said:

Please, is there a guide for this? I can't understand the logic behind SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap values

It has been explain multiple times already.

SataPortMap define the number of ports each SATA controller contains. set on 1 digit.

58 means : First SATA controller has 5 ports (5 pluggable SATA disks), Second SATA controller has 8 ports (8 pluggable SATA disks)

DiskIdxMap define the starting position of disk mapping for each controller, set on 2 digits.

00 = /dev/sda

01 = /dev/sdb

etc...

so 0A00 means :

- First 2 digits are 0A : is the 11th position : /dev/sdk

- 2nd 2 digits are 00 : it is the first potition : /dev/sda

So first controller disks will start from sdk to sdo

and 2nd controller disk will start from sda to sdh

Depending on how many SATA controller you have on your motherboard (are they all on motherboard, or do you have a PCI-card, or nmve... etc...) the number can be different from one to another configuration.

Whereas on ESXi you define the SATA controller numbers (like SATA0:0 for loader, and SATA1:x for DATA disks)

usually using the above settings, you are able to set SataPortMap = 18 and DiskIdxMap to something like 1000

As you only have the loader set on SATA0 you can have first digit set to only 1, where 2nd number will be 8 to be able to have 8 (virtual or RDM) disks plugged on SATA controller 1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, synoxpe said:

What’s the max RAM that ds918+ can work with? After crashing 12 times in as many hours I’ve given up on Proxmox and want to go bare metal on my Intel Nuc 10, which has 32GB RAM.

@haydibe you had inspired me to take the proxmox path 😀 and after a short lived bliss the environment has unfortunately become unusable.

Curious about your proxmox environment. Which version are you using? Can you please share the details?

Also do you know how much hardware the ds918+ can cope up with? I plan to throw Intel i7 12 cores and 32 GB RAM at it if I’m forced to take the bare metal route.

15 minutes ago, synoxpe said:

Also do you know how much hardware the ds918+ can cope up with? I plan to throw Intel i7 12 cores and 32 GB RAM at it if I’m forced to take the bare metal route.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

max. 8 threads for 918+ but when using a hypervisor you can still use the other cores for whatever you have on that hypervisor (homeautomation, ...)

maybe esxi is more in your direction, running in a lot of commercial environments and its not so likely to be derailed by updates

Edited by IG-88

2 hours ago, Orphée said:

It has been explain multiple times already.

SataPortMap define the number of ports each SATA controller contains. set on 1 digit.

58 means : First SATA controller has 5 ports (5 pluggable SATA disks), Second SATA controller has 8 ports (8 pluggable SATA disks)

DiskIdxMap define the starting position of disk mapping for each controller, set on 2 digits.

00 = /dev/sda

01 = /dev/sdb

etc...

so 0A00 means :

- First 2 digits are 0A : is the 11th position : /dev/sdk

- 2nd 2 digits are 00 : it is the first potition : /dev/sda

So first controller disks will start from sdk to sdo

and 2nd controller disk will start from sda to sdh

Depending on how many SATA controller you have on your motherboard (are they all on motherboard, or do you have a PCI-card, or nmve... etc...) the number can be different from one to another configuration.

Whereas on ESXi you define the SATA controller numbers (like SATA0:0 for loader, and SATA1:x for DATA disks)

usually using the above settings, you are able to set SataPortMap = 18 and DiskIdxMap to something like 1000

As you only have the loader set on SATA0 you can have first digit set to only 1, where 2nd number will be 8 to be able to have 8 (virtual or RDM) disks plugged on SATA controller 1.

Thanks for this, first time I see it...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

max. 8 threads for 918+ but when using a hypervisor you can still use the other cores for whatever you have on that hypervisor (homeautomation, ...)

maybe esxi is more in your direction, running in a lot of commercial environments and its not so likely to be derailed by updates

Yeah VMware is an option indeed but then have to figure out a lot of things like pci passthrough etc. Also the free version has limitations 

14 minutes ago, Orphée said:

@IG-88 Could Nvidia GTX1650 replace i915 driver on DS918+ for face detection ?

I'm just curious, not really needed

its possible to have nvidia drivers the way a DVAxxxx has it but afaik no one tried if it would be usable in videostation or survailancestation without "tweaking", there might be some specialty's like serial number check for nvidia support

in general there does not seem to be a special version of videostation or survailancestation for DVA's there is just the x64 version so i would assume nvidia support is build in

atm thats only available for 6.2

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/22272-nvidia-runtime-library/

using it in plex/emby/jellyfin and docker should be possible, main problem was ffmpeg with nvidia support but that was solved lately

it would be the drivers (*.ko) and the matching NVIDIA Runtime Library from synology

https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/NVIDIARuntimeLibrary

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jarugut said:

but that drivers I think is for domotic is serialusb. I've tried to execute the ismod of the *.ko files from the apolake 6.24 in the 7 but fail.

not going to work as 7.0 has a diffren kernel version and thats coded in the *.ko files and checked when modules are loaded

Do you think that process will work for a dvb usb?

just usb support would not be enough, you would still need dvb support and device drivers

but as this is not a xpenology specific problem there might be solutions for that that are made for synology original units and these should also work for us

currently I'm trying to do a installation of DSM 6.2.4 inside the VMM of the DSM7, yesterday I deployed inside a virtualDSM 6.2.4 but the problem is that is not allowed to connect USB from the host to the Virtual DSM :(

maybe try docker, it should be possible to give docker access to usb devices

maybe forget about 7.0 and stay with 6.2.3 or 6.2.4

there are also other dvb solution like sat/ip, maybe look into this

Edited by IG-88

3 hours ago, maxime said:

i made some kind of documentation in 2020 in the tutorials section to keep it here in the forum because external links will vanish

contains synologys explanations from older kernel source

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/32867-sata-and-sas-config-commands-in-grubcfg-and-what-they-do/

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

maybe forget about 7.0 and stay with 6.2. or 6.2.4

As long as you give docker container "privilege access" it will be able to access USB devices. I did it already while I was running Jeedom container with Z-Wave USB stick.

Edited by Orphée

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

not going to work as 7.0 has a diffren kernel version and thats coded in the *.ko files and checked when modules are loaded

just usb support would not be enough, you would still need dvb support and device drivers

but as this is not a xpenology specific problem there might be solutions for that that are made for synology original units and these should also work for us

maybe forget about 7.0 and stay with 6.2.3 or 6.2.4

Thank you IG-88 for your comments. My original idea was keep in version 6.2.3 to keep the DVB because I know that version 7 not have usb support anymore. My problem came when I changed the CPU of the microserver from i3-3220 by one xeon 1260L that the USB DVB stop working on my current version 6.2.3...

I will take a look the docker option and the sat/ip

Edited by jarugut

its possible to have nvidia drivers the way a DVAxxxx has it but afaik no one tried if it would be usable in videostation or survailancestation without "tweaking", there might be some specialty's like serial number check for nvidia support
in general there does not seem to be a special version of videostation or survailancestation for DVA's there is just the x64 version so i would assume nvidia support is build in
atm thats only available for 6.2
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/22272-nvidia-runtime-library/
using it in plex/emby/jellyfin and docker should be possible, main problem was ffmpeg with nvidia support but that was solved lately

it would be the drivers (*.ko) and the matching NVIDIA Runtime Library from synology
https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/NVIDIARuntimeLibrary

Actually I was more thinking about Synology Photos where face detection doesn't work without igpu (/dev/dri) on DS918+
I did not expect at all there could be a chance to make Surveillance Station work as DVA.

Don't know if a direct DVA3221 loader wouldn't be easier for SS to work with Nvidia

18 minutes ago, Orphée said:

Actually I was more thinking about Synology Photos

ahh, my bad, replace video station with photos, i dont think video station can handle nvidia stuff, i would even suggest read up on photo station in the DVAxxxx specs, maybe the nvidia stuff is only there for SS

21 minutes ago, Orphée said:

Don't know if a direct DVA3221 loader wouldn't be easier for SS to work with Nvidia

wen dont know but if we would have a lspci dump of a real DVAxxxx it would be possible i guess

but as seen with the serial number hack for video and photo station on 918+ its not impossible to dig into that stuff (and there are hacked versions of SS too, manly for more camera's i guess)

but having a loader that makes it look like a real DVAxxxx is more likely to work (and might need a SN jack too as we have seen with 918+)

26 minutes ago, Orphée said:

Actually I was more thinking about Synology Photos where face detection doesn't work without igpu (/dev/dri) on DS918+
I did not expect at all there could be a chance to make Surveillance Station work as DVA.

Thinking that maybe Photos would still rely on iGPU even on DVA3221 then. Why rewrite the libraries etc if you still have the same hardware with the addition of 1650 for SS ?

You may be right,
I'm asking because I5-9400F doesn't have igpu.
I would need to replace it (not a big deal)
I was just curious.

My Gen8 is working fine with DS3622xs+ for Synology photo face detection, so not a big deal if the new DVA3221 compliant computer (i5, 8gb Ram, gtx 1650) doesn't handle igpu for photo as long as it works on SS.
If an ipgu is mandatory, i will then replace it.

If I boot up the ssh connection to the TC RP through the MacOS terminal and try the second time, as shown below,
I always meet the "Host key verification failed" message.
Each time, the file is erased with "sudorm ~/.ssh/known_hosts" and the tc account is accessed again.
Is there a way to solve this annoying process?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yousuk@Mac-Pro-Ryzen-3500X ~ % ssh tc@192.168.35.53

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!

Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!

It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.

The fingerprint for the ECDSA key sent by the remote host is

SHA256:aJjrEGc32kaag1Hpy2C9Rz7A4NrXKo+w7Vu9Vgi5cUU.

Please contact your system administrator.

Add correct host key in /Users/yousuk/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.

Offending ECDSA key in /Users/yousuk/.ssh/known_hosts:1

ECDSA host key for 192.168.35.53 has changed and you have requested strict checking.

Host key verification failed.

2 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

If I boot up the ssh connection to the TC RP through the MacOS terminal and try the second time, as shown below,
I always meet the "Host key verification failed" message.
Each time, the file is erased with "sudorm ~/.ssh/known_hosts" and the tc account is accessed again.
Is there a way to solve this annoying process?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yousuk@Mac-Pro-Ryzen-3500X ~ % ssh tc@192.168.35.53

@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!

Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!

It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.

The fingerprint for the ECDSA key sent by the remote host is

SHA256:aJjrEGc32kaag1Hpy2C9Rz7A4NrXKo+w7Vu9Vgi5cUU.

Please contact your system administrator.

Add correct host key in /Users/yousuk/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.

Offending ECDSA key in /Users/yousuk/.ssh/known_hosts:1

ECDSA host key for 192.168.35.53 has changed and you have requested strict checking.

Host key verification failed.

@Peter Suh You need to delete the previously stored key from your authorized_hosts file in the $HOME/.sshd dir. This generally appears as a line starting with the IP address of the node your trying to ssh to. Deleting this line should fix your problem as this will be updated the next time you login successfully with the new key.

Having said that, the tinycore boot process regenerates the PKI key pair every time it boots which I think shouldn’t be the case. Perhaps @pocopico has other reasons of making it this way?

15 hours ago, IG-88 said:

@IG-88 what happens if the motherboard has more resources than supported by ds918+? Should be a common scenario for bare metal installations.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 8:53 AM, john_matrix said:

Hello,

I am trying to compile a RedPill loader with the latest 0.4.5 build available but I am facing the issue that the NIC is not recognized.

It's strange because I am using Proxmox and in the latest 0.4.4 virtio NIC drivers were embedded.

If I type the command ./rploader ext broadwellnk-7.0.1-41228 auto, the NIC is detected but without any relevant module.

I have tried with vmxnet3 and E1000 without success.

Is anyone having the same issue?

Solved by adding the extension:

./rploader.sh add broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218 ext https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/raw/develop/redpill-virtio/rpext-index.json

before compiling the kernel

• Like 2

2 hours ago, synoxpe said:

@IG-88 what happens if the motherboard has more resources than supported by ds918+? Should be a common scenario for bare metal installations.

cpu resources would not be used by the kernel also if HT is involved (afaik) it uses normal and HT cores/threads evenly

6 cores + HT will be 4 real cores and 4 HT cores with 918+, ad "HT core" (or thread) will deliver 20-25% performance of a real core so if you do nothing you will end with ~5 core cpu performance compared to a 7.5 when using all resources (like using 3617/3622)

you might mitigate by disabling HT in BIOS but the outcome depends on the cpu, so in case of 12 threads it would be 6 cores, slightly better then the 5 cores equivalent if HT would be still active (with 918+ and its 8 thread limit)

its not scientifically correct and might depend on what you are doing (virtualization with VMM might profit slightly when seeing 8 threads instead of 6 - but thats just guessing) and most of the time like in normal NAS (storage) operation there wont de any difference in performance because for just storage and software raid you dont need that much cpu resources

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1