RedPill Tinycore loader


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Invaliduser said:

 

I'm not too familiar with VMware, but in proxmox you would assign a serial port to the vm, then from the host's shell, qm terminal VMID.

As mentioned an easy way is to have it redirected to a file and then when you start up it shall write the console output to that file.  When you restart the VM it shall ask if you wish to append or overwrite the file which is normal

 

image.thumb.png.f8cfa80d1e091eddb3b3e74a2c4f8e11.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, krisr77 said:

has somebody had an issue when after successful (i  guess, no errors) build and reboot cannot access dsm loader page ? (no ping, no output on browser, find.synology.com also cannot find new dsm). installation is on VM (vwamre player so card network is E1000). Builder Linux appliance is getting proper ip address an has internet connection without any problem)

 

As mentioned go into the directory where you vm is located and find the file with the .vmx extension and edit the file like below, this worked on vmware workstation 16 for me.

 

  image.png.303970217e6d8140ce7cd7774e704a65.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chickey said:

As mentioned go into the directory where you vm is located and find the file with the .vmx extension and edit the file like below, this worked on vmware workstation 16 for me.

 

  image.png.303970217e6d8140ce7cd7774e704a65.png

i already changed it but this did not solved issue. 
but i eventually manged to install DSM 7 - im not sure what made it work but i guess it was lack of serial port. 

when i added it (as com_1 pipe to see console output) along with correct mac and serial , it started to work

so its up and running but honestly im not sure what is so good about DSM 7, its just little polished  DSM 6.2.
im sure i will switch to it on my bare metal config someday to but for now im not seeing anything so impressive in new OS 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krisr77 said:

i already changed it but this did not solved issue. 
but i eventually manged to install DSM 7 - im not sure what made it work but i guess it was lack of serial port. 

when i added it (as com_1 pipe to see console output) along with correct mac and serial , it started to work

so its up and running but honestly im not sure what is so good about DSM 7, its just little polished  DSM 6.2.
i'm sure i will switch to it on my bare metal config someday to but for now im not seeing anything so impressive in new OS 

 

Sorry i missed you were initially trying with 6.2.  It's all new to me as i'm usually an unraid user till i found this was possible recently.  Thought i'd put the screen grabs up to help anyone who has the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Aigor said:

Thanks, i'v dismounted card, i'm trying and i don't need to boot

Other "issue" sometimes, like now, download of pat file is very slow, i already have pat file but i can't scp into /home/tc/redpill-load/cache even if run chmod 777.
i'm on windows with putty companion so i use 


pscp -P 22 pat.file tc@192.168.1.100:/home/tc/redpill-load/cache/ 

But i get permission denied 

do you not need a second / after the : at the end of the ip?

Link to post
Share on other sites
START /linuxrc.syno.impl
Insert Marvell 1475 SATA controller driver
Insert basic USB modules...
:: Loading module usb-common ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module usbcore ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module xhci-hcd ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module xhci-pci ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module usb-storage ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading kernel modules from extensions ...
Loading kmod #0 "libphy.ko" for pocopico.tg3 (args: )
Loading kmod #1 "tg3.ko" for pocopico.tg3 (args: )
Checking if kmods for thethorgroup.jg.virtio should run using check-virtio.sh sc
Checking for VirtIO
*No* VirtIO hypervisor detected
NOT loading kmods for thethorgroup.jg.virtio
:: Loading kernel modules from extensions ... [  OK  ]
:: Executing "on_boot" custom scripts ...
Running "check-tg3.sh" for pocopico.tg3->on_boot
Loading module tg3 -> Module tg3 is not loaded
Ran "check-tg3.sh" for pocopico.tg3->on_boot - exit=0
:: Executing "on_boot" custom scripts ... [  OK  ]
Extensions processed
insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/etxhci-hcd.ko': No such file or directory

Update, installation goes wrong, i'm using internal micro sd card reader as boot device, VID and PID comes from rploader, it seems are wrong 
I'v gained telnet access, is there some log file where i can look to view what goes wrong? 
in /var/log there isn't to much to look into 
image.png.c8d6b34fdba08e8125282356c4be2c74.png
 

Edited by Aigor
added log file /var/log/linuxrc.syno.log
Link to post
Share on other sites

i loaded the tinycore-loader vmdk on my ESXi Host.. first the file seems to be corrupt. i fixed it with this command

vmkfstools -i "hdd.vmdk" "fixed-hdd.vmdk" -d thin

 

after that the VM starts otherwise error like
Harddisk scsi0:0 could not be opened: not supported or invalid hard disk type 7. Make sure that the harddisk has been imported

 

but the VM crash at * Creating loader image at loader.img.... *

 

any idea?

Edited by altas
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, altas said:

i loaded the vmdk on my ESXi Host.. first the file seems to be corrupt. i fixed it with this command

vmkfstools -i "hdd.vmdk" "fixed-hdd.vmdk" -d thin

 

after that the VM starts otherwise error like
Harddisk scsi0:0 could not be opened: not supported or invalid hard disk type 7. Make sure that the harddisk has been imported

 

but the VM crash at * Creating loader image at loader.img.... *

 

any idea?

You must connect VMDK file to sata controller and setup boot disk as sata0:0 , all others disks have to be sata.

 

Edited by Aigor
Link to post
Share on other sites

yes this is the setup.. booting is working but the VM crashs at this point in the loader creation

 

if i do the same with putty i lost connection

 

redpill.PNG

Edited by altas
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, altas said:

yes this is the setup.. booting is working but the VM crashs at this point in the loader creation

 

if i do the same with putty i lost connection

 

redpill.PNG

What is your VM memory size ? the root directory available disk space is 90% of the allocated memory. 1GB is too small to fit all required files. Increase memory to 2GB at least.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Franks4fingers said:

Do you need to be running 6.2.4 to be able to go to 7 or can you be on 6.2.3 and then still make that jump?

I went from 6.2.3 with no issues.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've built a test system using the instructions and it ended up working great. I've tested my primary apps, Docker, Plex, Sonarr, SABNZB. All working well :) This is a great little tool @pocopico thank you :)

 

I can see from the messages above that some look like they are converting production systems. Do we believe this is ready for primary usage?

 

I am eager to finally upgrade my 6.2 system :).

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pocopico said:

 

I had the same on Microserver G7, i just have to wait a little longer but eventually it powers off. 

so i uninstall powerbutton and hp-ams -they didnt work

after uninstall i lost info ams disks ect in ILO :) (som hp ams somewhat was working)

 

i tried reinstall powerbutton and  hp-ams without success

 

powerbutton doesnt work  but server restart or shutdown when i restart or shutdown DSM from gui so it is partionaly working

 

there are some codes on github for powerbutton but it is too much for me :))

also hp ams newer version rpm, but this is totaly out of my world :) hp-ams is xisting only in version  2.5

 

finaly i am turning off server from phone DS FINDER or from PC :) bluestack synomanager :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@pocopico , I am still having trouble getting the mpt3sas. ext to initialize my lsi 9305-16i hba.(bearmetal install)  In dmesg, and lsmod it shows the driver is loaded. But from what I can tell the controller is never activating, in turn causing DSM 7.0.1-42218 for 3315xs not to see any drives. This is on an HP-DL380g9 server(processor e5-2640v3x2), which currently runsDSM 6.2.4 for 3617xs with no issues. Using 12 of the 16 ports on this card and booting from usb drive, with loader 1.03b.

 

I tried tiny pill with the 3617xs loader, but it just kept rebooting as soon as it started to load. I compared the dmesg of both 6.2.4 and 7.0.1-42218, and what I see is that the driver is assigning the drives in the former. I am wondering are there some dependencies that your extension(pocopico) is not loading? I used my ilo4 virtual serial port to look at it while it is booting up. The synoboot drive partitons(1,2, and 3) are found, I also checked with fdisk -l to verifiy that partition 1 was set as active(had the asterick by it).

 

When I do fdisk -l  |  grep sd it shows sda1,2, and 3 which is the usb drive. I pulled a drive out and inserted a sata drive just to see if it made a difference it did not, so I put sas drive back in server. Any help would be appreciate. And by the way great work sir!

 

Edited by g4sho
make easier to read
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, g4sho said:

@pocopico , I am still having trouble getting the mpt3sas. ext to initialize my lsi 9305-16i hba.(bearmetal install)  In dmesg, and lsmod it shows the driver is loaded. But from what I can tell the controller is never activating, in turn causing DSM 7.0.1-42218 for 3315xs not to see any drives. This is on an HP-DL380g9 server(processor e5-2640v3x2), which currently runsDSM 6.2.4 for 3617xs with no issues. Using 12 of the 16 ports on this card and booting from usb drive, with loader 1.03b.

 

I tried tiny pill with the 3617xs loader, but it just kept rebooting as soon as it started to load. I compared the dmesg of both 6.2.4 and 7.0.1-42218, and what I see is that the driver is assigning the drives in the former. I am wondering are there some dependencies that your extension(pocopico) is not loading? I used my ilo4 virtual serial port to look at it while it is booting up. The synoboot drive partitons(1,2, and 3) are found, I also checked with fdisk -l to verifiy that partition 1 was set as active(had the asterick by it).

 

When I do fdisk -l  |  grep sd it shows sda1,2, and 3 which is the usb drive. I pulled a drive out and inserted a sata drive just to see if it made a difference it did not, so I put sas drive back in server. Any help would be appreciate. And by the way great work sir!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

quote I tried tiny pill with the 3617xs loader, but it just kept rebooting as soon as it started to load. I compared the dmesg of both 6.2.4 and 7.0.1-42218, and what I see is that the driver is assigning the drives in the former. I am wondering are there some dependencies that your extension(pocopico) is not loading?

 

@pocopicoHere is a picture of lsmod from working 6.2.4 DS3617xs. notice the used by is 36, on tiny pill it shows 0. Also there are several modules shown that I believe are necessary for your driver to work, I could be wrong, you are certainly the expert pocopico. But what jumps out to me is the module mptbase and one of its dependency mpt3ctl.

 

l1531625732_20220113_2240471.thumb.jpg.0ca0551bc2af787db705a68f43e1bab8.jpg

Edited by g4sho
adjust photo
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, I am thinking of migrating from completely stable 6.2.3 version to 7.0.1 and I wonder if the serial number for qiuck connect works. And what about hardware acceleration in Photos and Videostation? Does it work? Did anybody of us get the full functionality of the 7-th version of DSM?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.