XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

2 часа назад, pocopico сказал:

I have found the following step by step guide. 

I've used this process in the past and works.

Pocopico, thank you very much for article!

I've done it via articles. 

And I see via SSH: 
$ cat /proc/mdstat | grep md4
md4 : active raid1 nvme0n1p3[0]
$ sudo fdisk -l | grep md4
Disk /dev/md4: 461.3 GiB, 495272329216 bytes, 967328768 sectors

But i can't see it DSM before and after reboot:(. 

After reboot i lost /dev/md4 :(

Maybe DSM has some security options. I will try to find reason. 

Edited by Deniska
  • Like 1

Hi.

Im looking for assistance with setting up my sata map.

I have the 6 onboard SATA ports disabled in bios and i have 2 H310 crossflashed cards installed. In the card bios i can see 8 spinners listed on the 1st card and 4 SSD's listed on the 2nd.

When i run the sata map it lists both cards with 4 and 8 drives but i think it believes there is only 1 card inserted and sets it at 8 disks total.

Can someone assist me with a satamap for both cards??

Thanks.

satamap only actually cares about AHCI SATA cards.  It probably doesn't see the H310's if they are classified as HBA's. There is an update in the pipeline that will show the drives attached to HBA's because this is a common concern, even though it may not change the outcome.

If you post the satamap output I could confirm it for you.

Hello

I use 918+ 7.1.0 u1 under proxmox. I tired to update u2

I did ownload and manual upgrade. After restart, I started the loader

./rploader.sh update now

./rploader.sh fullupgrade now

./rploader.sh backup

./rploader.sh postupdate apollolake-7.1.0-42661

reboot

After syno restarted, it drop errors. If I press repair, it do it, then show all hdd are normal. But i do reboot, it show it again. Fix it, all are normal. Reboot, show errors again.

The hdds are ok, smart ok too.

What can I do?

1.JPG

2.JPG

1 hour ago, renegadeBE said:

Hi,

The Update 4 of dsm 7.0.1 42218 causes a recovry loop.  The process postupdate command working?

DS3615xs 7.0.1-42218u3 to 7.0.1-42218u4  ?

Thanks 🙂

Postupdate is working for DS3615xs update 4.

boot into TCRP and run:

./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh backup
sudo su
./rploader.sh postupdate bromolow-7.0.1-42218

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, techfriend63 said:

Postupdate is working for DS3615xs update 4.

boot into TCRP and run:

./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh backup
sudo su
./rploader.sh postupdate bromolow-7.0.1-42218

The second parameter "now" is a completely unnecessary parameter.
It was initially misguided from pocopico.
Even if "now" is removed and used, everything works normally.
I am in the process of guiding again to remove this "now" from the guide I made.

Is it possible to support SATA port multiplier?

I have a J1900 ITX motherboard. The model is "BT08-I V_1.0". No brand name. It was manufactured to do digital currency mining but dumped to retail market in China.

The spec of this board is quite interesting. It has 1 mSATA and 1 SATA port controlled by J1900 integrated controller, and 5 SATA ports controlled by Marvell 88SE9215. Let's call them SATA1 to SATA7.

I  have installed DSM6.2.3-DS918+ using Jun's loader v1.04b. Among the 7 SATA ports, SATA2 and SATA3 are not recognized by DSM while all 7 SATA ports are recognized in Windows 10 and Ubuntu. Modifying "grub.cfg" to add SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap is not working as I have tried.

According to following thread, Synology has limited the support for SATA port multiplier. Since the thread was discussed in 2018, I am wondering if it's possible to come up with a solution in 2022?

BTW, I have tried to install DSM7.1 using TCRP 0.8, but failed. Is there any suggestion to install DSM7.1 using TCRP on a J1900 machine?

1 hour ago, ericavd said:

Is it possible to support SATA port multiplier?

I have a J1900 ITX motherboard. The model is "BT08-I V_1.0". No brand name. It was manufactured to do digital currency mining but dumped to retail market in China.

The spec of this board is quite interesting. It has 1 mSATA and 1 SATA port controlled by J1900 integrated controller, and 5 SATA ports controlled by Marvell 88SE9215. Let's call them SATA1 to SATA7.

I  have installed DSM6.2.3-DS918+ using Jun's loader v1.04b. Among the 7 SATA ports, SATA2 and SATA3 are not recognized by DSM while all 7 SATA ports are recognized in Windows 10 and Ubuntu. Modifying "grub.cfg" to add SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap is not working as I have tried.

According to following thread, Synology has limited the support for SATA port multiplier. Since the thread was discussed in 2018, I am wondering if it's possible to come up with a solution in 2022?

BTW, I have tried to install DSM7.1 using TCRP 0.8, but failed. Is there any suggestion to install DSM7.1 using TCRP on a J1900 machine?

The mobo is from one of the hoax/scam mining machines by 蝸牛星際("Space snails"), you're better off looking at baidu and Chinese forums. Some dudes actually soldered 88SE9215 and corresponding parts to enable more SATA ports.

https://blog.csdn.net/lun55423/article/details/121513923

A common problem is that the 2 SATA ports from J1900 are getting disk errors while installing DSM, particularly that mSATA slot. The problem was probably caused by mSATA not supporting hotplug(and you can't enable it, unlike the other port). Install drives into the port/slot will mitigate that issue. Changing it from AHCI to IDE, enable it after DSM install might also work.

SATA Port multipliers are not supported by DSM and there hasn't been workarounds to crack that limitation. Only Synology's own DX/RX boxes(with port multiplier, SAS expander and possibly custom firmware) are going to work. Phased out(EOL) boxes might give you just individual eSATA disks that cannot be put in any RAID modes.

I guess Synology is very serious about data integrity as putting RAID on the external drives+internal drives can be crazy risky, so only their validated solution will work, which is their own design.

A little bit out of topic but good read regarding space snails scam:

The space snails(蝸牛星際) scam is pretty much about mining digi stuff(IPFS related) with their disk boxes, to lure uninformed people into buying their machines.($700+ each) Think of it as Chia precursor but scammy tactics on steroids and dialed to 11.("passive income", hooray?)

The disk boxes were cheaply made but are of incredibe good value for NASes after the scam was collapsed, those were bought as scraps and resold as barebones NAS solution.

Good article in Chinese, translate to read some next level scam tactics:

https://awtmt.com/articles/3496039

Edited by vbz14216
fix errors, add info
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, flyride said:

satamap only actually cares about AHCI SATA cards.  It probably doesn't see the H310's if they are classified as HBA's. There is an update in the pipeline that will show the drives attached to HBA's because this is a common concern, even though it may not change the outcome.

If you post the satamap output I could confirm it for you.

OK i have it working after changing the max drives etc to 24 disks and 0xffffff

it now reads 8 disks and 4 ssds but my disks don't start until disk 9, disks 1-8 are blank. is there any way i can remove those so my disks start at 1??

Thanks.

19 hours ago, Deniska said:

Pocopico, thank you very much for article!

I've done it via articles. 

And I see via SSH: 
$ cat /proc/mdstat | grep md4
md4 : active raid1 nvme0n1p3[0]
$ sudo fdisk -l | grep md4
Disk /dev/md4: 461.3 GiB, 495272329216 bytes, 967328768 sectors

But i can't see it DSM before and after reboot:(. 

After reboot i lost /dev/md4 :(

Maybe DSM has some security options. I will try to find reason. 

Especially under DSM7, I don't recommend using that guide to create Storage Pool or volumes.

There is DSM "space" metadata that is not created when it is done this totally manual way.  DSM only partially understands what you've built.  All the DSM array tools ONLY work with SATA.  If any event that involves array management occurs, your array will be crashed.

IMHO the only "SAFE" way to use NVMe other than cache is to virtualize it and show it to DSM as SATA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy Miller said:

OK i have it working after changing the max drives etc to 24 disks and 0xffffff

it now reads 8 disks and 4 ssds but my disks don't start until disk 9, disks 1-8 are blank. is there any way i can remove those so my disks start at 1??

Thanks.

Just because you have "disabled" the disks in the BIOS doesn't mean that the ports don't still exist.  Is it reporting 8 disks or 8 ports?  It gives the opportunity to override if you want not to map those ports, but if you take the default, it will do what you ask.  I think it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do - map 8 ports of the SATA controller, then add in the HBA ports afterward.

Again, post the output from ./rploader.sh satamap if you want more advice.

TCRP rploader.sh 0.8.0.2 has an omitted space in line 1201:

awk-F"/" should be awk -F"/"

It won't affect users that do not require a SATABOOT configuration.  But if you are using SATABOOT, manually edit in this change to rploader.sh before running satamap, until it is updated.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, flyride said:

Just because you have "disabled" the disks in the BIOS doesn't mean that the ports don't still exist.  Is it reporting 8 disks or 8 ports?  It gives the opportunity to override if you want not to map those ports, but if you take the default, it will do what you ask.  I think it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do - map 8 ports of the SATA controller, then add in the HBA ports afterward.

Again, post the output from ./rploader.sh satamap if you want more advice.

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh satamap
Found SCSI HBAs, We need to install the SCSI modules
scsi-5.10.3-tinycore64 is already installed!
Succesfully installed SCSI modules

Found "08:00.0 Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9128 PCIe SATA 6 Gb/s RAID controller with HyperDuo (rev 11)"
Detected 8 ports/0 drives. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <8> 0

No AHCI SATA ports mapped. Setting up compatibility for SCSI/SAS controller mappings.
./rploader.sh: line 1307: [: 02:00.0: binary operator expected
Found SCSI/HBA "02:00.0 LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)" (4 drives)
Found SCSI/HBA "03:00.0 LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)" (8 drives)

Computed settings:
SataPortMap=0
DiskIdxMap=0000

Should i update the user_config.json with these values ? [Yy/Nn] ^C
tc@box:~$

image.png.1692acee18bcec55a288b2aebedf6f06.png

I have added the output of satamap

Thanks.

Edited by Andy Miller

You have found a script bug but I don't think it changes your outcome.

DSM is fundamentally designed to work with SATA drives and you have none, but you have a SATA controller.  This is an odd use case and that causes a script error.

If you can actually electrically disable the SATA controller from the BIOS (not just the ports), the satamap=1 and diskidxmap=00 should cause the ports to behave as expected.If you do encounter the hang on boot, please report that so we can override the invalid value.

8 minutes ago, flyride said:

Alternatively, if you can actually electrically disable the SATA controller from the BIOS (not just the ports), the satamap=1 and diskidxmap=00 should cause the ports to behave as expected.

I followed your above instruction setting satamap=1 and diskidxmap=00 and it appeared to make no change. i still have disks 1-9 empty and 10 onwards populated.

Its not causing a massive issue, its more of just an ocd thing. ill leave it as it is for now as i need to start moving data to it as i have dying windows server.

Thanks for your assistance.

3 hours ago, Andy Miller said:

I followed your above instruction setting satamap=1 and diskidxmap=00 and it appeared to make no change. i still have disks 1-9 empty and 10 onwards populated.

Its not causing a massive issue, its more of just an ocd thing. ill leave it as it is for now as i need to start moving data to it as i have dying windows server.

Thanks for your assistance.

The loader has to be rebuilt for the change to take effect.  I suspect that didn't happen.  Reach out to me via PM if you want to sort through it after your crisis is averted.

I have a little bit trouble with another installation (also a VMware based installation as DS3622xs+) :

- Yesterday I went straight into the little type bug where awk-F"/" should be awk -F"/" but I build the loader with these settings (my fault...)

- The loader starts well in the end besides some error messages at booting and I was able to install DSM 7.1.0-42661

- I upgraded successfully to DSM 7.1.0-42661u2 with

sudo ./rploader.sh update 
sudo ./rploader.sh postupdate broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661
exitcheck.sh reboot

- Today I want to re-create the boot loader and booted into TCRP, adjusted the typo ( awk -F"/" ) and re-run the whole process.

- "satamap" found indeed different Mappings as the first time with the typo.

- I added also a missing second NIC manually into the user_config.json which forgot yesterday:

cat user_config.json

{
  "extra_cmdline": {
    "pid": "0xa4a5",
    "vid": "0x0525",
    "sn": "<SN>",
    "mac1": "<MAC1>",
    "mac2": "<MAC2>",
    "netif_num": "2",
    "SataPortMap": "126",
    "DiskIdxMap": "100002"
  },
  "synoinfo": {
    "internalportcfg": "0xffff",
    "maxdisks": "16",
    "support_bde_internal_10g": "no",
    "support_disk_compatibility": "no",
    "support_memory_compatibility": "no"
  },
  "ramdisk_copy": {}
}

- the process of autoloading the addons and building the loader went well:

sudo ./rploader.sh listmods broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661
sudo ./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661
sudo ./rploader.sh backup
exitcheck.sh shutdown

- I adjusted the MAC-Adresses of the vNICs with the calculated settings from TCRP and started the VM.

- The boot messages looks very good without the error messages from the first time and both NICs were adressed well and the vNIC which is connected gets an DHCP-Address assigned.

Now the NAS will be found every time as "Recoverable" and not "Migratable".

I can reboot multiple times but the system wont "repair" itself.

How I am able to force DSM to let me install the pat-file again?

Should I rebuild the loader with a different type (e.g. DS-918) and do a "Migration"and the back to DS3622xs+ with another new builded loader?

I do not want to corrupt anything as I am sure that the installation itself is in good shape.

Edited by Balrog
edit typo

You can force a DSM reinstall but retain Storage Pools and Volumes with synodsdefault --reinstall

This can be executed from junior mode shell (serial console).

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9392-general-faq/?do=findComment&comment=89619

This will lose all system settings but not data.  If you have a dss backup most of it can be restored.

I don't know how to make it just do a patch.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, RedCat said:

Hello

I use 918+ 7.1.0 u1 under proxmox. I tired to update u2

I did ownload and manual upgrade. After restart, I started the loader

./rploader.sh update now

./rploader.sh backup

./rploader.sh postupdate apollolake-7.1.0-42661

reboot

After syno restarted, it drop errors. If I press repair, it do it, then show all hdd are normal. But i do reboot, it show it again. Fix it, all are normal. Reboot, show errors again.

The hdds are ok, smart ok too.

What can I do?

1.JPG

2.JPG

Can anyone help?

Edited by RedCat