XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

56 minutes ago, Hemin said:

Hi pocopico,

I don't have this folder on /home/tc. I have connected with winscp to the TC filesystem and on /home/tc I have some configuration files, 5 folders, 4 hidden "fltk", "local", "wmx", "X.d" and 1 not hidden named "old". None of this folders have the config.json file

sorry I'm doing something wrong?

You need to execute ./rploader.sh <yourplatform> download first 

@pocopico I updated my DS918+ to update-4 but when I ran the postupdate command instead of

"The new smallupdate version will be  : 7.1-42661-4"

I got this

"The new smallupdate version will be  : 7.1-42661-3"

I pressed yes and everything worked well and in DSM I can see "DSM 7.1-42661 Update 4"

Is that normal?

42 minutes ago, Orphée said:

If bootloader was not updated, yes.
Sonoloygy does not always update it with minor patches.

Wait a minute...  Should i update my TCRP bootloader before I go through the update process for 7.1 (u2, u3 OR u4)?  I believe my TCRP is version 5.  So far I haven't had any success updating my ds3622sx+, 7.1 (U1) to anything newer.  I've tried update 2,3 and now 4... and all I get at the 1st step of the update (manually installing from the GUI) is a "file is probably corrupt" error... or in the case of U4... it just hangs at "preparing".  Please advise as I haven't really got response in the DSM Installation forum.

16 hours ago, phone guy said:

I have a kind of related question for everybody.... I have a proxmox redpill DS3622 build. Running paravirtual NIC in Proxmox with V9F ext drivers. I also have a PCI passthru Ethernet port, I used one of the intel ports onboard from the server motherboard. Both work fine, the Intel NIC in pci pass thru didn't require any additional ext drivers to work.  Each has its own different IP, they are not bonded, so I know which port I am using.  I am getting different smb speeds when copying over the network in Windows.

Scenario 1:

In windows, open network, open icon for DS3622, open temp shared folder, now drag and drop 1.1gb file.. I get a maximum transfer of 60mb/sec (\\ds3622\temp)

Scenario 2:

Change location in windows explorer to direct ip (\\192.168.1.100\temp) I get 110mb/sec. The proxmox virtual nic is ip 100, and the pci passthru is ip 101 (\\192.168.1.101\temp), same speeds on either direct ip.

So if the window shows a direct ip in the location, the speed is nearly doubled. If it show ds3622 its about half speed...? any clue?

This is a repeatable experiment. I get similar results from different pcs on the lan, different files, and the results almost always the same, give or take a few mbs/sec

There are a bunch of different ways for name resolution to happen.  Do you know which is in use for the test?

I would control that to the simplest, fastest possible exchange.  If you have a small number of clients, define it in the hosts files.

Wait a minute...  Should i update my TCRP bootloader before I go through the update process for 7.1 (u2, u3 OR u4)?  I believe my TCRP is version 5.  So far I haven't had any success updating my ds3622sx+, 7.1 (U1) to anything newer.  I've tried update 2,3 and now 4... and all I get at the 1st step of the update (manually installing from the GUI) is a "file is probably corrupt" error... or in the case of U4... it just hangs at "preparing".  Please advise as I haven't really got response in the DSM Installation forum.
I only say : from 7.1 u3 to u4, it seems no need to do postupdate after GUI update.

16 hours ago, flyride said:

There are a bunch of different ways for name resolution to happen.  Do you know which is in use for the test?

I would control that to the simplest, fastest possible exchange.  If you have a small number of clients, define it in the hosts files.

The thing was, if the name was in the destination address bar the speeds were slow, if the IP was in the address bar the speed was fast. Both ip. I'm not 1000% sure which one is the name (ds3622) but I would have to imagine it's 100,because 101 was just added.

It's like by using the name in the destination address is the issue, switch to IP for the address makes it nearly twice as fast? I don't see this on genuine sybo boxes, only on my redpill box. I'm not even sure it's a redpill thing? It might just as easily be a windows thing? Having to resolve "ds3622" to an up slowing it down? That's why I asked, I have no clue... I'm willing to test suggestions. Just tell me what to test. 

18 hours ago, Orphée said:

If bootloader was not updated, yes.
Sonoloygy does not always update it with minor patches.

15 hours ago, Orphée said:
17 hours ago, Badger said:

I only say : from 7.1 u3 to u4, it seems no need to do postupdate after GUI update.

So you are if your at U3 already, you could update to U4 without running post update. If your on 7.1-u2,after manual update to u3 u4 then yes do the post update... That's what I'm hearing you say 😉

22 hours ago, Hemin said:

Hi pocopico,

I don't have this folder on /home/tc. I have connected with winscp to the TC filesystem and on /home/tc I have some configuration files, 5 folders, 4 hidden "fltk", "local", "wmx", "X.d" and 1 not hidden named "old". None of this folders have the config.json file

sorry I'm doing something wrong?

Use ./rploader.sh download first 

so I'm a total newb at this and been looking around the whole forum and google.

when I installed proxmox I deleted the local-lvm and resized my whole disk to use it all for VM  

what do I need to do to be able to install

I get that message 

gzip: /var/lib/vz/images/930/tinycore-redpill.img.gz: not in gzip format
storage 'local-lvm' does not exist

Hi all,

Is there a latest sticky page for current status on this project? While i was up to date up till page 99 of this thread, i see thats grown well past that. So instead of having to read another 100 pages. I was just wondering if redpill is still unstable? Im currently running jun's loader on 3617xs, 6.2.x baremetal setup for over 3 years now and hoping that someday i can move up to 7.x and just wondering whats the latest on the redpill project. 

Is either one or both 7.0, 7.1.x versions unstable?

21 minutes ago, alirz1 said:

Hi all,

Is there a latest sticky page for current status on this project? While i was up to date up till page 99 of this thread, i see thats grown well past that. So instead of having to read another 100 pages. I was just wondering if redpill is still unstable? Im currently running jun's loader on 3617xs, 6.2.x baremetal setup for over 3 years now and hoping that someday i can move up to 7.x and just wondering whats the latest on the redpill project. 

For me is very stable, working very well. No issues at all. 

I am using Tinycore-Redpill v0.8.0.3 - DS3622xs+ on ESXi 6.7 on my custom hardware build Asus Z170I-PRO, Intel Core i5-6600K, passthrough: LSI SAS9211-8i IT mode controller.

I was on Jun's loader and 3617xs but I jumped to RedPill and I can say that I am on the latest DSM 7.1.0-42661 with Update 4. Where on Jun's I could not go beyond DSM  6.2.3-25426-3 I believe. 

This is very nice guide, condensed topic regarding RedPill loaders. 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/61634-dsm-7x-loaders-and-platforms/

and guide how to proceed:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/62221-tutorial-installmigrate-to-dsm-7x-with-tinycore-redpill-tcrp-loader/

Good luck :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, MajkelP said:

For me is very stable, working very well. No issues at all. 

I am using Tinycore-Redpill v0.8.0.3 - DS3622xs+ on ESXi 6.7 on my custom hardware build Asus Z170I-PRO, Intel Core i5-6600K, passthrough: LSI SAS9211-8i IT mode controller.

I was on Jun's loader and 3617xs but I jumped to RedPill and I can say that I am on the latest DSM 7.1.0-42661 with Update 4. Where on Jun's I could not go beyond DSM  6.2.3-25426-3 I believe. 

This is very nice guide, condensed topic regarding RedPill loaders. 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/61634-dsm-7x-loaders-and-platforms/

and guide how to proceed:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/62221-tutorial-installmigrate-to-dsm-7x-with-tinycore-redpill-tcrp-loader/

Good luck :)

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I might give the upgrade a go with a spare isb and a blank hdd etc to test it out.

7 hours ago, phone guy said:

So you are if your at U3 already, you could update to U4 without running post update. If your on 7.1-u2,after manual update to u3 u4 then yes do the post update... That's what I'm hearing you say 😉

@phone guyNo, I guess I'm not making myself clear.  I am on 7.1 (U1).  ds3622xs+, MSI Mobo w/AMD CPU.  My problem is I can't complete the manual update from the GUI.  So I've never gotten to the point where I can reboot to TCRP and enter the post update commands.  I go to control panel, update... choose the update file that I've downloaded from Synology... and the file uploads... then either promply says "file probably corrupted", or hangs with "preparing...".  Hopefully this makes my problem clearer.  There is something in my system that makes the update file(s) appear corrupted.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, phone guy said:

The thing was, if the name was in the destination address bar the speeds were slow, if the IP was in the address bar the speed was fast. Both ip. I'm not 1000% sure which one is the name (ds3622) but I would have to imagine it's 100,because 101 was just added.

It's like by using the name in the destination address is the issue, switch to IP for the address makes it nearly twice as fast? I don't see this on genuine sybo boxes, only on my redpill box. I'm not even sure it's a redpill thing? It might just as easily be a windows thing? Having to resolve "ds3622" to an up slowing it down? That's why I asked, I have no clue... I'm willing to test suggestions. Just tell me what to test. 

Try changing the hosts file on your pc like @flyride suggested. (C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)

Add a new line pointing to your nas. e.g: 

192.168.1.100 DS3622

save the file, cmd and ipconfig /flushdns (just to make sure) and try again. 

This effectively created a low-level mapping, So now when you do \\DS3622 - the host file in windows is what is read first, instead of using other means of network lookup 

Edited by NooL

9 hours ago, Sledge685 said:

so I'm a total newb at this and been looking around the whole forum and google.

when I installed proxmox I deleted the local-lvm and resized my whole disk to use it all for VM  

what do I need to do to be able to install

I get that message 

gzip: /var/lib/vz/images/930/tinycore-redpill.img.gz: not in gzip format

Here is a guide to install redpill on proxmox with pictures to follow, be sure to edit any filenames with newest released versions (ie: tcrp 046 to tcrp 0800 for example). As for hard drive, remember proxmox needs a boot drive, so you can not eliminate lvm, better to passthru another hdd for dsm, or build redpilll baremetal and bypass proxmox all together.

proxmox guide:

7 hours ago, Badger said:

@phone guyNo, I guess I'm not making myself clear.  I am on 7.1 (U1).  ds3622xs+, MSI Mobo w/AMD CPU.  My problem is I can't complete the manual update from the GUI.  So I've never gotten to the point where I can reboot to TCRP and enter the post update commands.  I go to control panel, update... choose the update file that I've downloaded from Synology... and the file uploads... then either promply says "file probably corrupted", or hangs with "preparing...".  Hopefully this makes my problem clearer.  There is something in my system that makes the update file(s) appear corrupted.

If the upgrade is failing inside dsm, maybe you downloaded the wrong update file. THIS LINK is for U4 for the DS3622xs+, I assume you can update directly to u4 from u1? I never tried it so I don't know for sure that would work. If that file fails under dsm, you may have to upgrade to U2, then U3 <run postupdate> and then U4. I know after U3 update you will have to reboot to TC and do backup/update/full upgrade/postupdate commands.  I am not 100% sure if that step is required for U4, as I have personally not done that update yet. but I know it is required for U3.

Good luck

9 hours ago, alirz1 said:

Hi all,

I guess is the grand scheme of things, redpill will always be considered test software, unstable, not for production use....? But most of us here consider it stable enough for our needs. I have an 8 bay system as my main backup server for my real syno hardware...plus 3 other re-purposed nas boxes now converted to redpill 7.1U3 so.... I would say its rock solid, but YMMV.  I know some people run into little problems like getting certain apps to authorize (advanced media extensions comes to mind), which affects HEVC and AAC, but there are work arounds. I remember seeing someone say VMM was giving them issues, but I am not sure.... I would say try it yourself, under your specific needs and you tell us if its ready for prime time in your opinion. 

Edited by phone guy

On 8/7/2022 at 11:51 AM, flyride said:

6 hours ago, NooL said:

Try changing the hosts file on your pc like @flyride suggested. (C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)

Add a new line pointing to your nas. e.g: 

192.168.1.100 DS3622

save the file, cmd and ipconfig /flushdns (just to make sure) and try again. 

This effectively created a low-level mapping, So now when you do \\DS3622 - the host file in windows is what is read first, instead of using other means of network lookup 

Well, I tried adding the ip of ds3622 to host file, flushed dns and restarted windows. No change, but I was able to take some screen shots to show the speed difference. I swear, I'm not crazy 🤣

I tried to get the address bar in the pictures so you can see the device name vs the IP. The IP transfers faster. Dont know why. I have to assume its a windows issue? But no clue what issue that might be.

ds3622.thumb.png.4fd935953d69539986f95511e4f59352.png198.thumb.png.ceffa219ec95b2d154dc5d3bc79e2207.png179.thumb.png.ab780106265158a8dd25cf240bfa3b40.png

14 hours ago, phone guy said:

If the upgrade is failing inside dsm, maybe you downloaded the wrong update file. THIS LINK is for U4 for the DS3622xs+, I assume you can update directly to u4 from u1? I never tried it so I don't know for sure that would work. If that file fails under dsm, you may have to upgrade to U2, then U3 <run postupdate> and then U4. I know after U3 update you will have to reboot to TC and do backup/update/full upgrade/postupdate commands.  I am not 100% sure if that step is required for U4, as I have personally not done that update yet. but I know it is required for U3.

Good luck

I have a feeling something is hosed in my system that either corrupts the update files (or causes the update to appear corrupt) because I've tried several downloads of U2, U3 and U4 and I just tried the one from your link above.... also "corrupted".  I think I'm going to have to build a new loader from scratch and test an update from there.  All my data is backed up so its not that big a deal.  Just a bit of a pain to install my apps and settings, SSL, etc.

• Thanks 1

Hi
Has anyone tried running Synology DSM 7.1 on Synology DSM 7.1? The idea is to pull up 8 CMS licenses. So far, it turned out to run on Wmware and get 8 additional licenses from the built-in 1622. The bootloader works for me, but at 55% of the DSM installation, the package installation error is written

On 8/8/2022 at 4:42 AM, phone guy said:

Answer my own question for anyone else curious, updating from 7.1u3 (already did the postupdate process for u3) YES you can safely update to u4 without going back to TC, no need to re-run postupdate process again. 👍

• Thanks 2

Assistance needed please, and thanks!

I upgraded from Jun 6.xx loader to Redpill 7.1 using https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/62221-tutorial-installmigrate-to-dsm-7x-with-tinycore-redpill-tcrp-loader/

Found "00:12.0 Intel Corporation Device 31e3 (rev 03)"
Detected 2 ports/2 drives. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <2>

Found "01:00.0 Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 9215 (rev 11)"
Detected 4 ports/1 drives. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <4>

Found "04:00.0 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)"
Detected 2 ports/2 drives. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <2>

Computed settings:
SataPortMap=242
DiskIdxMap=000206

Good news, when I boot up, I can all 5 drives are listed

Bad news: The "drive information" only shows 4 ports (and 2 drives filled).  See attached.

Is this something I should be concerned about?  How can I fix this?

My hardware: Asrock J4105 mobo  +  IOCREST SI-PEX40064 (MARVELL 88SE9215) 4 port SATA 6G PCI Express card

Drives: 5 drives of 8 filled

1669898357_Screenshot2022-08-14183558.thumb.jpg.adb112811ad74db09ff85175880d827b.jpg

1954822255_Screenshot2022-08-14183416.jpg.ac5b26b8e2881217a79157abece6b74e.jpg