XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

4 hours ago, sam juan said:

i still have TCRP 0.4.6 in my 2 boxes (no issues so far), it is worth to upgrade to TCRP 0.8 or maybe TCRP 0.9? tnx

TCRP mainly takes care of creating the loader. Once you have all working there is no need to recreate it unless it’s needed after an upgrade. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2022 at 7:44 PM, docop1 said:

Quite a lot have change in 3 week. On the 14 may i can install redpill in esxi with Pcie LSI card. At the:  sudo ./rploader.sh satamap now   it was asking how many ports should be mapped, on the vmware Sata ctrl. with 1 drive connected (detected)
Then it continue directly the second question: how many ports should be mapped for this controller. : As being the LSI ctrl.

Now as on the 17jun and 18, the instal command don't ask this anymore for the LSI. By chance i screengrab the setting. As the only way is to enter this manually. to put : SataPortMap=148  DiskIdxMap=100004.

With the Lsi card, it cannot get a proper dhcp ip when the dsm first boot. Never found in the synoAssistant.

But when install with only sata 0 : redpill , sata 1:0 a new hdd and nothing else. it can install.

Then i try to edit file in /proc/cmdline  to mod the sataportmap and Disklxdxmap. And at boot i punch 'e' and also add there. And the lsi is show.

Don't know if it survive multiple reboot or a cold shutdown.

Also, for the update, by doing it give lot of error:

sudo ./rploader.sh update
sudo ./rploader.sh postupdate broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661

i got that :

remote: Total 1253 (delta 302), reused 284 (delta 283), pack-reused 928
Receiving objects: 100% (1253/1253), 469.84 KiB | 692.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (865/865), done.
Cloning into 'redpill-load'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 2028, done.
error: RPC failed; curl 56 OpenSSL SSL_read: Connection timed out
error: 6376 bytes of body are still expected
fetch-pack: unexpected disconnect while reading sideband packet
fatal: early EOF
fatal: fetch-pack: invalid index-pack output
Removing any old redpill.ko modules
Looking for redpill for : ds3622xsp_42661
Getting file https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/redpill/releases/redpill-4.4.180plus-broadwellnk.tgz
Extracting module
Getting file https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/redpill/src/check-redpill.sh
mv: cannot move '/home/tc/redpill.ko' to '/home/tc/redpill-load/ext/rp-lkm/redpill-linux-v4.4.180+.ko': No such file or directory
Creating temp ramdisk space
Mounting partition sda1}
Mounting partition sda2}
Extracting update ramdisk
unlzma: /mnt/sda2/rd.gz: Compressed data is corrupt
52176 blocks
Found Version : 7.1-42661-2
Do you want to use this for the loader ? [yY/nN] : y
Extracting redpill ramdisk

And in the folder i don't have the file listed here as :  exitcheck.sh
i simply reboot to normal mode and in dsm it show 7.1u2.  Is the ext driver install with 7.1u1 are still present, or the cleanup made in the first place to remove all ?

@pocopicoCould this be because of the addition of the JUN mod stuff

Edited by cferra

I just tried on my supermicro X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F which has been running 3622 7.0.1 for a while built back about 3 months ago, not using TCRP, wanted to upgrade to 7.1 and used TCRP but can't find 10gb network card using 3622 so I used 3617 with that I can find network but can't find any drives , so I just plug back my old usb and still running 7.0.1

any suggestions

3 minutes ago, neonflx said:

I just tried on my supermicro X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F which has been running 3622 7.0.1 for a while built back about 3 months ago, not using TCRP, wanted to upgrade to 7.1 and used TCRP but can't find 10gb network card using 3622 so I used 3617 with that I can find network but can't find any drives , so I just plug back my old usb and still running 7.0.1

any suggestions

Which network card?  I have noticed with mellanox that dsm inbuilt drivers work but external ones don’t. 

I have to remove the driver after detection before I build the loader in tcrp

I have a connectx-3 card. 

• Like 1

Question for @pocopico@flyride or anyone else who can answer this.

Once a loader is up and working, and a hw change is made, when you go back to TC to add the ext for new hardware, or change mac/serial, or whatever... when you recompile the loader (./rploader.sh build xxx) do you have to add the ext's you had working before this session, or does the tcrp usb have them cached and reuse those?

LONGER: I had a working system, added the nic ext, the acpid ext.. everything worked. Then I added a HBA card. So I knew I need the mpt3sas ext, so I booted back to TC, if I would have only added the mpt3sas ext (or let the build process do it automatically) without again adding the 2 previous ext (nic and acpid) would they have been added from cache?  So does tcrp remember the ext you added before? I never did a clean, but I did do update and fullupgrade before adding the mpt3sas and build.

3 hours ago, phone guy said:

Question for @pocopico@flyride or anyone else who can answer this.

Once a loader is up and working, and a hw change is made, when you go back to TC to add the ext for new hardware, or change mac/serial, or whatever... when you recompile the loader (./rploader.sh build xxx) do you have to add the ext's you had working before this session, or does the tcrp usb have them cached and reuse those?

LONGER: I had a working system, added the nic ext, the acpid ext.. everything worked. Then I added a HBA card. So I knew I need the mpt3sas ext, so I booted back to TC, if I would have only added the mpt3sas ext (or let the build process do it automatically) without again adding the 2 previous ext (nic and acpid) would they have been added from cache?  So does tcrp remember the ext you added before? I never did a clean, but I did do update and fullupgrade before adding the mpt3sas and build.

@phone guy in my experience... TC has the command "restoresession" which supposedly it should restore the last session with the user_config.json and extensions (I believe so). I run the command once but when I viewed the user_config.json they were not. Most probably I did something wrong...

What I do, I just create a new loader and add the extensions all over again :). I have a guide that I just copy and paste the commands :D.

Then I go into the recovery loop, I click "Recover" it restarts, I go back to TC run the "postupdate" command, detects the Update 2 and everything is back as it was.

Edited by gadreel
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, flyride said:

Yes, something is wrong.  You'll need to post more information about your hardware (motherboard, any disk controllers) and the output from satamap if you'd like some advice. Be sure that you "update" and "fullupgrade" prior to running satamap

Hi Flyride,

Proxmox is running on an Asrock J1900 motherboard and the output from "satamap" is:

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh satamap
Machine is VIRTUAL Hypervisor=KVM

Found "00:07.0 Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 02)"
Detected 6 ports/3 drives. Mapping SATABOOT drive after maxdisks
WARNING: Other drives are connected that will not be accessible!

Computed settings:
SataPortMap=1
DiskIdxMap=10

For somehow the user_config.json file is adjusted to:

"SataPortMap": "58",
 "DiskIdxMap": "0A00"

I have two drives attached in Proxmox. Maybe one drive is not recognized because it is 10GB. (and the other drive is 100GB)

As I have red there had to be one drive over 21GB....Maybe the 10GB is too small...

EDIT: Changed the small drive to 22GB. Now it's working!

Edited by marigo

You are using SATABOOT on Proxmox.  You should not attach your data disks to the same controller.  It plainly tells you this.

Move your data drives to the SCSI controller, or if you would rather keep using the SATA controller for your data disks, switch your loader to a USB image. After this is complete rerun satamap and build the loader again.

Edit: never mind, I am stupid. I downloaded the UEFI image for a device that doesn't use or support it.

I followed the commands line for line, but every time I'm getting the following error:

"Error: symbol 'grub_disk_native_sectors' not found

Have you ever managed to get around it?

On 4/6/2022 at 10:14 AM, titoum said:

i took the cmd from pocopico to be sure that tinycore is refreshed and then i followed the cmd you provided :-)

for the sake on not loosing my mind, i just diligently followed every steps the same to be sure of no deviation.

might be possible to skip some but Murphy is always around the corner ^^'

for the sata config, i can edit on the usb if i remember correctly. it was on partition 2? 

Edited by Dieter Koblenz

22 hours ago, flyride said:

You are using SATABOOT on Proxmox.  You should not attach your data disks to the same controller.  It plainly tells you this.

Move your data drives to the SCSI controller, or if you would rather keep using the SATA controller for your data disks, switch your loader to a USB image. After this is complete rerun satamap and build the loader again.

"not attach your data disks to the same controller" ???
"SCSI controller" ???

I don't understand.

BTW, I just upgraded from 7.0.1 to 7.1u2 as a DS918+ in a KVM VM.

I have 6 drives, all as SATA drives:

• 1 TC .img file
  • 4 passthrough physical hard drives
  • 1 virtual drive

Before upgrade all drives were recognized.

After upgrade DSM says the virtual drive is not found.
Also, my physical and the virtual drives are listed as drives # 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 in DSM...

Here is the part related to drives in Virt-Manager xml:

<disk type="file" device="disk">
      <driver name="qemu" type="raw"/>
      <source file="/var/lib/libvirt/images/tinycore-redpill-uefi.v0.8.0.0.img"/>
      <target dev="sda" bus="sata"/>
      <address type="drive" controller="0" bus="0" target="0" unit="0"/>
    </disk>
    <disk type="block" device="disk">
      <driver name="qemu" type="raw" cache="none" io="native"/>
      <source dev="/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD60EFZX-68B3FN0_WD-C80JZ76G"/>
      <target dev="sdb" bus="sata"/>
      <address type="drive" controller="0" bus="0" target="0" unit="1"/>
    </disk>
      <source dev="/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD60EFZX-68B3FN0_WD-CA0JXUUK"/>
      <target dev="sdc" bus="sata"/>
      <address type="drive" controller="0" bus="0" target="0" unit="2"/>
    </disk>
      <source dev="/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3000VN000-1HJ166_W6A04AVT"/>
      <target dev="sdd" bus="sata"/>
      <address type="drive" controller="0" bus="0" target="0" unit="3"/>
    </disk>
      <source dev="/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3000VN007-2E4166_Z6A0FLNR"/>
      <target dev="sde" bus="sata"/>
      <address type="drive" controller="0" bus="0" target="0" unit="4"/>
    </disk>
    <disk type="file" device="disk">
      <driver name="qemu" type="qcow2"/>
      <source file="/var/lib/libvirt/images/Synology-Volume3-Docker.qcow2"/>
      <target dev="sdf" bus="sata"/>
      <address type="drive" controller="0" bus="0" target="0" unit="5"/>
    </disk>

Should I change all drives to use "SCISI" bus ? Or should I just put all drives after the first TC drive on a different controller (i.e. 1 instead of 0) ?

When I upgraded I restarted my TC image from scratch but added back my old user_config file and also added ACPI and VirtIO extensions.
Here is my user_config.json:

{
  "extra_cmdline": {
    "pid": "0xa4a5",
    "vid": "0x0525",
    "sn": "123XXXXXXXXXX",
    "mac1": "00XXXXXXXXXX",
  },
  "synoinfo": {

"internalportcfg" : "0xffff",
          "maxdisks" : "16",
           "support_bde_internal_10g" : "no",
           "support_disk_compatibility" : "no",
          "support_memory_compatibility" : "no"

},
  "ramdisk_copy": {}
}

Thank you

Edited by jpbaril

15 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Currently, the ds920+ and ds1621+ have been modified to enable up to 16 ports.
More detailed test results will be posted later.

Here I share final results. Up to 16 disks can be used in the jumkey's dtc method on the sata port.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/21/2022 at 11:07 PM, gadreel said:

@phone guy in my experience... TC has the command "restoresession" which supposedly it should restore the last session with the user_config.json and extensions (I believe so). I run the command once but when I viewed the user_config.json they were not. Most probably I did something wrong...

What I do, I just create a new loader and add the extensions all over again :). I have a guide that I just copy and paste the commands :D.

Then I go into the recovery loop, I click "Recover" it restarts, I go back to TC run the "postupdate" command, detects the Update 2 and everything is back as it was.

I do the same thing. Seems like anytime I tried to restoresession, the user_config.json doesn't restore, and I agree must be user (me) error.  I also just re-added the needed exts again. I just keep backup of needed ext/commands in a text file and copy paste. :) 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 7:40 AM, marigo said:

Hi Flyride,

Proxmox is running on an Asrock J1900 motherboard and the output from "satamap" is:

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh satamap

Found "00:07.0 Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 02)"
Detected 6 ports/3 drives. Mapping SATABOOT drive after maxdisks
WARNING: Other drives are connected that will not be accessible!

Computed settings:
SataPortMap=1
DiskIdxMap=10

For somehow the user_config.json file is adjusted to:

I have two drives attached in Proxmox. Maybe one drive is not recognized because it is 10GB. (and the other drive is 100GB)

As I have red there had to be one drive over 21GB....Maybe the 10GB is too small...

EDIT: Changed the small drive to 22GB. Now it's working!

I have tried to reproduce the error, but it is (was) all working with loader version v0.4.6

If I execute the "./rploader.sh satamap now" it will detect the controllers and write the correct values to the user config:

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh satamap now
HBA: 00:07.0 Disks : 6
HBA: 00:01.1 Disks : 2
SataPortMap=62
DiskIdxMap=0002
Should i update the user_config.json with these values ? [Yy/Nn]

When I do the update and fullupgrade the "satamap" is not working on proxmox and I have to manually adjust the values

Just to let you know...

Edited by marigo

3 hours ago, marigo said:

I have tried to reproduce the error, but it is (was) all working with loader version v0.4.6

If I execute the "./rploader.sh satamap now" it will detect the controllers and write the correct values to the user config:

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh satamap now
HBA: 00:07.0 Disks : 6
HBA: 00:01.1 Disks : 2
SataPortMap=62
DiskIdxMap=0002
Should i update the user_config.json with these values ? [Yy/Nn]

When I do the update and fullupgrade the "satamap" is not working on proxmox and I have to manually adjust the values

Just to let you know...

Satamap and diskidxmap do not influence the sas/hba ports. They simply appear after any ahci (sata) ports on the system, which are influenced and affected by satamap/diskidxmap. I didn't go back to see your original post, so sorry for that, but @flyride worked with me for about an hour recently, and explained this to me in detail... so this information is super reliable ;)

HERE is an article that explains those commands in more detail than I could provide, however FYI, there has been some updating recently to the way TCRP maps sata ports with that command.

• Like 1