XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

11 hours ago, pocopico said:

Good idea ! 

The user_config.json dissapears randomly for me, Iam always checking it before build because it reverts back to stock file for some reason.

A custom_ext.json would be great. we put the links in it, it save to usb, and issue myexts and it would load all the specialty drivers we need. good idea... and a simple easy way to copy user _config from old back to home since it goes away sometime. ./rploader.sh restore user or replace user

4 minutes ago, dodo-dk said:

I use the VirtIO Network Controller without problems in Proxmox. It was faster than E1000(e)

./rploader.sh ext broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/redpill-load/master/redpill-virtio/rpext-index.json

I will try that one too.... We need a dsm pre & post installation virtual environment section...the ones here are for dsm6...we need one for redpill dsm7 proxmox esxi unraid kvm etc...

1 hour ago, dodo-dk said:

I use the VirtIO Network Controller without problems in Proxmox. It was faster than E1000(e)

./rploader.sh ext broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/redpill-load/master/redpill-virtio/rpext-index.json

I tired e1000 and virtio also. For me E1000 faster and lower cpu usage than virtio.

• Thanks 1

5 часов назад, phone guy сказал:

I am using E1000 drivers in proxmox, setting as E1000 as its the only one that lets me in to the ip.

I tried E1000e alone and that doesnt work. I have to check again if only e1000 is needed, or both e1000/e1000e

would you please describe the process to use E1000?... I try to set up DSM but cant find synology unit after loader building... I broken my mind what is next... 

There seems to be an issue that has changed significantly in the DS920+ build since I fixed 2 bugs with @pocopico yesterday.

It seems that only one simple typo ',' in the "rpext-index.json" file caused abnormal builds on the entire platform for a few days.

Another is that there was a typo in the USB port mapping part within the DTC (patchdtc function), so it did not work at all.

The USB port mapping seems to prevent the boot-wait from taking a timeout for 30 seconds and falling into an error.

If the port mapping is good, it usually induces a normal response within 4 to 5 seconds.

Because of these two things, DTC seems to be going pretty stable.

DS920+ is looking for a supported Intel CPU generation.

Everything I've experienced seems to be fine up to Haswell.

Yesterday, there was a user report that the 3rd generation was successful, so I plan to test this part more.

Edited by Peter Suh

6 hours ago, dodo-dk said:

have u ever tried v9fs ext? 

4 hours ago, Teemon said:

would you please describe the process to use E1000?... I try to set up DSM but cant find synology unit after loader building... I broken my mind what is next... 

When you setup vm, choose e1000 as  nic. during tcrp build add

./rploader.sh ext broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/e1000/rpext-index.json

obviously this is specific for 3622, change the to your build choice thats it. everything just works.

47 minutes ago, phone guy said:

obviously this is specific for 3622, change the to your build choice thats it. everything just works.

the driver you can use depends on whats in rd.gz of the model (that one comes from synology) and whats added as extension to the custom.gz (thats created by tc)

the one in rd.gz would be called "native" drivers as they are part of dsm (and available in the boot loader), there s a 2nd type of native driver that is only part of dsm (*.pat file) but not in rd.gz, thats usually hardware that can be added (to original units), a excample for the later one would be mellanox drivers, even if they are suppported in dsm natively you can only boot with that one as nic if its added with tc to tinycore

in case of 3622 there are the following drivers in rd.gz

e1000e, igb, ixgbe,  i40, r8168

if the hypervisor can emulate a nic thats supported by drivers in rd.gz you would not need to add any special driver in tc

in case of esxi its possible to choose Intel 82574 aka E1000E and there should be no need for any special drives to add in tc

afaik there is e1000e in proxmox and as e1000e driver is native to 3622 it should be ok to just choose e1000e as vNIC and thats it

(virtio was usually the one people wanted to use in proxmox and rp loader came ootb with that one so i wonder why not using virtio as vNIC)

16 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

the driver you can use depends on whats in rd.gz of the model (that one comes from synology) and whats added as extension to the custom.gz (thats created by tc)

the one in rd.gz would be called "native" drivers as they are part of dsm (and available in the boot loader), there s a 2nd type of native driver that is only part of dsm (*.pat file) but not in rd.gz, thats usually hardware that can be added (to original units), a excample for the later one would be mellanox drivers, even if they are suppported in dsm natively you can only boot with that one as nic if its added with tc to tinycore

in case of 3622 there are the following drivers in rd.gz

e1000e, igb, ixgbe,  i40, r8168

if the hypervisor can emulate a nic thats supported by drivers in rd.gz you would not need to add any special driver in tc

in case of esxi its possible to choose Intel 82574 aka E1000E and there should be no need for any special drives to add in tc

afaik there is e1000e in proxmox and as e1000e driver is native to 3622 it should be ok to just choose e1000e as vNIC and thats it

(virtio was usually the one people wanted to use in proxmox and rp loader came ootb with that one so i wonder why not using virtio as vNIC)

I just tested this exact theory last night. Build a 3622 in proxmox, chose e1000 nic in pve, build rp by adding only misc, acpid, e1000e ext. After reboot, I could not see or ping the dsm vm. Nothing in synology assistant, or find.synology.com....I knew its IP from my router and tried there too but no communication.  I restarted vm, boot back to tcrp and added e1000 (not the e1000e) ext and build again. reboot and instantly got communication to the dsm vm. synology assistant saw it, find.synology saw it and of course it was still at the same IP as before. So I had to manually add e1000 drivers to tcrp to make it work.

./rploader.sh ext broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/e1000/rpext-index.json

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, phone guy said:

My point was, I dont know if you need both e1000 and e1000e drivers? But you definitely need e1000 driver added in tcrp.  and as has been said, pve only offers e1000 as a nic option (not 1000e).  It works though.

e1000e is possible to use in proxmox and i#ve seen it in configs in this thread

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7387-tutorial-dsm-6x-on-proxmox/?do=findComment&comment=122230

if using e1000e in the vm config you would not need any added driver from the loader, the driver dsm for 3622 comes with would do the job  - but i guess it depends on what way you choose, both need something extra and the result is the same (1G nic in vm), i guess when it comes to higher network speed only virtio is the way to go anyway

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IG-88 said:

e1000e is possible to use in proxmox and i#ve seen it in configs in this thread

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7387-tutorial-dsm-6x-on-proxmox/?do=findComment&comment=122230

if using e1000e in the vm config you would not need any added driver from the loader, the driver dsm for 3622 comes with would do the job  - but i guess it depends on what way you choose, both need something extra and the result is the same (1G nic in vm), i guess when it comes to higher network speed only virtio is the way to go anyway

Is there any advantage to using virtio? like you said, at the end of the process its still just 1gbe nic connection 😆

4 hours ago, dreamtek said:

You can add e1000e nic to proxmox,the guidance below shows how to add it.

https://gist.github.com/belkone/8128ce8883024c2b97130ee7b7ff4667

Would there be any reason to add 1000e over the stock included e1000? (thanks for the link!)

17 minutes ago, phone guy said:

Is there any advantage to using virtio? like you said, at the end of the process its still just 1gbe nic connection 😆

Would there be any reason to add 1000e over the stock included e1000? (thanks for the link!)

With VirtIO i have : (Proxmox <-> DSM)

[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  31.3 GBytes  26.9 Gbits/sec    0             sender
[  5]   0.00-10.04  sec  31.3 GBytes  26.8 Gbits/sec                  receiver

If you have other VMs in Proxmox that connects to DSM over Network, VirtIO is much faster.

Edited by dodo-dk

I've rebuild my image with the virtio driver on the DS3617xs. It's indeed MUCH faster then the e1000 and e1000e were for me on Unraid. I already was thinking my complete NAS was sluggish, but it was just the driver. DS Photos was like watching a 56k modem loading, now it's good again.

Only thing left that's not working yet is the power controls from Unraid. I thought I add the acpid ext, but it's not for the DS3617xs on 7.1.

3 hours ago, dodo-dk said:

With VirtIO i have : (Proxmox <-> DSM)

[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  31.3 GBytes  26.9 Gbits/sec    0             sender
[  5]   0.00-10.04  sec  31.3 GBytes  26.8 Gbits/sec                  receiver

If you have other VMs in Proxmox that connects to DSM over Network, VirtIO is much faster.

How can I make this test?

9 minutes ago, vista1967 said:

Thanks for the information!  In the future do you plan to do that too?

We need a microcontroller hardware (ESP32/ESP8266) and a person who is willing to code for it. Hooks exist already on redpill-lkm

Edited by pocopico

9 minutes ago, RedCat said:

How can I make this test?

Install on DSM the Package SynoCli Monitor Tools from SynoCommunity.

Than login over SSH to DSM and execute the command: iperf3 -s

It shows now the listening Port.

Now login over SSH to Proxmox and execute the command iperf3 -c xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (IP from DSM)

On Proxmox you need the Package iperf3 too (apt update && apt install iperf3)

Thats all.

• Thanks 1