XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

I have successfully migrated an existing DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3/Jun Loader 1.04b/DS918+ installation to DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3/tinycore-redpill 0.4.5/DS918+ without any issues.

DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3/tinycore-redpill 0.4.5/DS918+ has been running for about a week now.

7 hours ago, RedwinX said:

The driver for i915 ds920+ should be in the firmware of 7.0.1 ds918+ right ? 

no, the i915 driver for 918+ and 920+ use the same source so the will support the same hardware

"DSM_DS918+_42218" contains both fimrmware files so as long as using the same/simmilar cpu as in a 920+ it should work with repill 918+ installtion

so if its a original 918+ driver and the two firmware files are present then it must be something different

look in bios if there are options for iGPU, i do remember thereis a difference sometimes if VT-d is enabled or not

Installed ds3622xs on bare metal (Intel Nuc 10 Frost Canyon). Takes quite a while to start (compared to ESXi or Proxmox). I see the following in Notifications:

Detected non-Synology recommended memory module configurations. You may have
1. Inserted non-Synology memory modules
Please select authentic Synology memory modules for better system reliability.

Anyone else getting this? Can there be a boot time memory check which could explain the delay?

56 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

no, the i915 driver for 918+ and 920+ use the same source so the will support the same hardware

"DSM_DS918+_42218" contains both fimrmware files so as long as using the same/simmilar cpu as in a 920+ it should work with repill 918+ installtion

so if its a original 918+ driver and the two firmware files are present then it must be something different

look in bios if there are options for iGPU, i do remember thereis a difference sometimes if VT-d is enabled or not

I can confirm you that it's not working on 918+, but with @Orphée and @dolbycat we have sucessfully installed a 920+ on a J4125, and HW transcoding works fine... Cannot explain why, but there is no restriction for the Intel HD 600 on 920+, instead of 918+ installation

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, synoxpe said:

Installed ds3622xs on bare metal (Intel Nuc 10 Frost Canyon). Takes quite a while to start (compared to ESXi or Proxmox). I see the following in Notifications:

Detected non-Synology recommended memory module configurations. You may have
1. Inserted non-Synology memory modules
Please select authentic Synology memory modules for better system reliability.

Anyone else getting this? Can there be a boot time memory check which could explain the delay?

I can confirm that I have thee same report as you regarding the time to boot (for 920+). It takes at least 6min to boot. however, didn't havee issue with memory...

• Like 1

Hey all,

I am slowly progressing with my first installation of the loader. I followed the instruction down to the build (used broadwellnk / 3622) on my ESXi VM and after the reboot (and selecting SATA boot) it gets stuck on "Starting kernel with SATA boot" then nothing happens. I used  SataPortMap=1 and DiskIdxMap=00.  

Anyone with a similar setup can help? :)

EDIT: okay it's expected, I can see DSM on my network!

Thanks

Edited by Tibag

On 3/7/2022 at 7:32 AM, synoxpe said:

The 55% installation stall of ds3622xs: do we need to disconnect from internet during installation? I read it wasn't required anymore but it seems be messing up with my install.

If you are trying to install on an ESXi server you are probably experiencing the same problem I had. 
When you attach the vmdk to a new disk it defaults to an IDE port. You need to change that to a SATA port. 
After I did that it worked to complete the installation

• Like 1

hi all,

I am successfully running a ds3617xs in proxmox using redpill-tinycore. I am also running a ds3615xs in proxmox.

the ds3615 has been upgraded to 7.0.1-42218 update 3 but when I try to update the ds3617 as well it gets stuck in a install loop after the upgrade. Does someone already have a redpill-tinycore ds3617 running update 3 ? If so how have you managed to do the upgrade?

3 hours ago, wimsan said:

hi all,

I am successfully running a ds3617xs in proxmox using redpill-tinycore. I am also running a ds3615xs in proxmox.

the ds3615 has been upgraded to 7.0.1-42218 update 3 but when I try to update the ds3617 as well it gets stuck in a install loop after the upgrade. Does someone already have a redpill-tinycore ds3617 running update 3 ? If so how have you managed to do the upgrade?

You have to create a custom PAT file for now if you want to upgrade to U1/U2/U3 on 3617 as the format Synology used on their PATs changed so RP TinyCore can't patch them yet. See here:

Edited by ilovepancakes

On 3/7/2022 at 2:19 AM, synoxpe said:

OK an update and hope it helps others facing the 55% stall issue:

I was using IDE. Should be SATA! Super naive but that's how we miss the obvious ;)

Internet connectivity wasn't causing it.

Screenshot 2022-03-07 at 09.17.18.png

Nice catch!! lessons learned

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BableFish said:

If you are trying to install on an ESXi server you are probably experiencing the same problem I had. 
When you attach the vmdk to a new disk it defaults to an IDE port. You need to change that to a SATA port. 
After I did that it worked to complete the installation

Exactly. I described it here

Can anyone help me out? I'm trying to upgrade my baremetal install running Jun's 1.02b DS3615xs loader to RedPill Tinycore.

Current DSM is running version 6.2.3 Update 3. Hardware is as follows;

i3-4130

Gigabyte H81M-S2V motherboard with 4x SATA ports (2x SATA3, 2x SATA2)

8GB RAM

After running the SataMap command I get a SataMap of 6 (even though I only have 4 ports?). When booting up, I can find the installation via find.synology.com and it shows as Migratable. However, after continuing through I get an error saying "Disks 3,4 not detected and Sata ports have been disabled". 

Someone else has recommended changing the internalportcfg in the user_config.json file to "0x33". This should disable drives 3 & 4, as for some reason my system shows my 4 drives as 1, 2, 5 & 6 (confirmed by booting back into my old Jun loader and checking Storage Manager). Unfortunately, even after doing this I get the same Disk 3,4 error on the Migration wizard. 

Does anyone have any other ideas to get this to work? Much appreciated!

I have a couple of success stories.  I've did a bare metal install on a Gigabyte GA-78LMT / AMD FX6300 combo about 2 weeks ago and it has been running rock solid.  I set it up as a DS3615xs Bromolow 7.0.1-42218 platform using Redpill v0.4.5.   I've been pushing it for days with about 12TB of sync'ing and 5 containers running.  It's been going so good that I have moved to it as my primary NAS in place of my Synology DS1513+.   The Gigabyte was previously used in my vSphere cluster so it has 32GB of ram and 3 NICs, which should make it a nice NAS / Docker / VM combo.

I was so impressed with how easy the install was, that I went for the upgrade on my Asus P5B / Intel Core Duo that I've been running Jun's boot loader 1.02b/DSM 6.1.4 since 2019.  It's pretty old hardware, I believe 15 years now but it's been running great with 8GB and 3 NICs for the last 3 years.  It was mainly used as a second backup to my DS1513+ and where I ran Docker.  The Redpill install went pretty easy.  I did have to disable the second SATA controller (wasn't using it anyway) in the BIOS but besides that the upgrade from 6.1.4 to 7.0.1 went great.  I did an in place upgrade keeping all the data and configs and everything appears to be working well so far and all the packages got automatically updated.  I set it up as a DS3615xs Bromolow 7.0.1-42218 platform using Redpill v0.4.5.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 8:05 PM, wimsan said:

hi all,

This is a way to escape the infinite recovery repetition of update 2 or update 3.
You can migrate to a platform different from the platform you are currently using (e.g., from ds3615 to ds3622). After migration, you can migrate once more to the platform you want to use again. In the case of ds3615 and ds3617 that do not officially support SHR, it does not matter if the SHR is maintained for a while. You don't have to worry about data loss.

On 3/8/2022 at 4:15 AM, cpresco said:

I have successfully migrated an existing DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3/Jun Loader 1.04b/DS918+ installation to DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3/tinycore-redpill 0.4.5/DS918+ without any issues.

DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3/tinycore-redpill 0.4.5/DS918+ has been running for about a week now.

In the case of ds918, there is no phenomenon of falling into the recovery loop even if it proceeds to update 3, and in the case of ds3622 and ds3615, this recovery loop phenomenon seems to be reported.

Trying to create the bootloader for ds1621p I get this:

./rploader.sh build ds1621p-7.0.1-42218
Loader source : https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load.git Loader Branch : develop
Redpill module source : https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-lkm.git : Redpill module branch : develop
Extensions :
Extensions URL :
TOOLKIT_URL : https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/toolkit/DSM7.0/ds.v1000-7.0.dev.txz/download
TOOLKIT_SHA : 6108f9f7b7f0a13ee985314aef9419303375ab7ded4112be991590339b66ecd1
SYNOKERNEL_URL : https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology NAS GPL Source/25426branch/v1000-source/linux-4.4.x.txz/download
SYNOKERNEL_SHA : d3e85eb80f16a83244fcae6016ab6783cd8ac55e3af2b4240455261396e1e1be
COMPILE_METHOD : toolkit_dev
TARGET_PLATFORM       : ds1621p
TARGET_VERSION    : 7.0.1
TARGET_REVISION : 42218
REDPILL_LKM_MAKE_TARGET : dev-v7
KERNEL_MAJOR :
MODULE_ALIAS_FILE=
Checking Internet Access -> OK
Checking if a newer version exists on the repo -> Version is current
Redpill sources already downloaded, pulling latest
Already up to date.
Loader sources already downloaded, pulling latest
Already up to date.
Using static compiled redpill extension
Looking for redpill for :
jq - commandline JSON processor [version 1.5-1-g940132e-dirty]
Usage: jq [options] <jq filter> [file...]

jq is a tool for processing JSON inputs, applying the
        given filter to its JSON text inputs and producing the
        filter's results as JSON on standard output.
        The simplest filter is ., which is the identity filter,
        copying jq's input to its output unmodified (except for
        formatting).
        For more advanced filters see the jq(1) manpage ("man jq")
        and/or https://stedolan.github.io/jq

Some of the options include:
         -c             compact instead of pretty-printed output;
         -n             use `null` as the single input value;
         -e             set the exit status code based on the output;
         -s             read (slurp) all inputs into an array; apply filter to it;
         -r             output raw strings, not JSON texts;
         -R             read raw strings, not JSON texts;
         -C             colorize JSON;
         -M             monochrome (don't colorize JSON);
         -S             sort keys of objects on output;
         --tab  use tabs for indentation;
         --arg a v      set variable $a to value <v>;
         --argjson a v  set variable $a to JSON value <v>;
         --slurpfile a f        set variable $a to an array of JSON texts read from <f>;
        See the manpage for more options.
cp: cannot create regular file '/home/tc/redpill-load/ext/rp-lkm/redpill-linux-v4.4.180+.ko': Permission denied
Got redpill-linux-v4.4.180+.ko
Testing  -> ^C

Any ideas?

On 3/5/2022 at 12:09 AM, IG-88 said:

i915_universal_918p_DSM7.zip

@IG-88 trying to get the intel iGPU running on a bare metal install of ds3622xsp (on Intel NUC 10 having Comet Lake UHD). Where can I get i915 driver that you had linked earlier I think? 

synoadm@ds3622xsp:/$ lspci -nnq
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:9b51]
0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Comet Lake UHD Graphics [8086:9bca] (rev 04)

58 minutes ago, wimsan said:

Trying to create the bootloader for ds1621p I get this:

./rploader.sh build ds1621p-7.0.1-42218
Loader source : https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load.git Loader Branch : develop
Redpill module source : https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-lkm.git : Redpill module branch : develop
Extensions :
Extensions URL :
TOOLKIT_URL : https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/toolkit/DSM7.0/ds.v1000-7.0.dev.txz/download
TOOLKIT_SHA : 6108f9f7b7f0a13ee985314aef9419303375ab7ded4112be991590339b66ecd1
SYNOKERNEL_URL : https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology NAS GPL Source/25426branch/v1000-source/linux-4.4.x.txz/download
SYNOKERNEL_SHA : d3e85eb80f16a83244fcae6016ab6783cd8ac55e3af2b4240455261396e1e1be
COMPILE_METHOD : toolkit_dev
TARGET_PLATFORM       : ds1621p
TARGET_VERSION    : 7.0.1
TARGET_REVISION : 42218
REDPILL_LKM_MAKE_TARGET : dev-v7
KERNEL_MAJOR :
MODULE_ALIAS_FILE=
Checking Internet Access -> OK
Checking if a newer version exists on the repo -> Version is current
Redpill sources already downloaded, pulling latest
Already up to date.
Loader sources already downloaded, pulling latest
Already up to date.
Using static compiled redpill extension
Looking for redpill for :
jq - commandline JSON processor [version 1.5-1-g940132e-dirty]
Usage: jq [options] <jq filter> [file...]

jq is a tool for processing JSON inputs, applying the
        given filter to its JSON text inputs and producing the
        filter's results as JSON on standard output.
        The simplest filter is ., which is the identity filter,
        copying jq's input to its output unmodified (except for
        formatting).
        For more advanced filters see the jq(1) manpage ("man jq")
        and/or https://stedolan.github.io/jq

Some of the options include:
         -c             compact instead of pretty-printed output;
         -n             use `null` as the single input value;
         -e             set the exit status code based on the output;
         -s             read (slurp) all inputs into an array; apply filter to it;
         -r             output raw strings, not JSON texts;
         -R             read raw strings, not JSON texts;
         -C             colorize JSON;
         -M             monochrome (don't colorize JSON);
         -S             sort keys of objects on output;
         --tab  use tabs for indentation;
         --arg a v      set variable $a to value <v>;
         --argjson a v  set variable $a to JSON value <v>;
         --slurpfile a f        set variable $a to an array of JSON texts read from <f>;
        See the manpage for more options.
cp: cannot create regular file '/home/tc/redpill-load/ext/rp-lkm/redpill-linux-v4.4.180+.ko': Permission denied
Got redpill-linux-v4.4.180+.ko
Testing  -> ^C

Any ideas?

Did you use the latest rploader.sh ? You can update running 

./rploader update now

Edited by pocopico

2 minutes ago, wimsan said:

I performed the update but still same result

Add this in custom_config.json:

{

"id": "v1000-7.0.1-42218",

"platform_version": "v1000-7.0.1-42218",

"user_config_json": "v1000_user_config-test.json",

"docker_base_image": "debian:8-slim",

"redpill_lkm_make_target": "dev-v7",

"compile_with": "toolkit_dev",

"downloads": {

"kernel": {

"url": "https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology%20NAS%20GPL%20Source/25426branch/v1000-source/linux-4.4.x.txz/download",

"sha256": "d3e85eb80f16a83244fcae6016ab6783cd8ac55e3af2b4240455261396e1e1be"

},

"toolkit_dev": {

"url": "https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/toolkit/DSM7.0/ds.v1000-7.0.dev.txz/download",

"sha256": "6108f9f7b7f0a13ee985314aef9419303375ab7ded4112be991590339b66ecd1"

}

},

"redpill_lkm": {

"source_url": "https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-lkm.git",

"branch": "develop"

},

"redpill_load": {

"source_url": "https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load.git",

"branch": "develop"

}

},

21 minutes ago, wimsan said:

Thanks. so far that worked out. Just doesn't see any disks yet

You need to perform additional steps to enable internal disks. 

The process that will probably work for you once in tinycore is :

./rploader download v1000-7.0.1-42218

./rploader listmods v1000-7.0.1-42218

./rploader.sh ext v1000-7.0.1-42218 add https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/raw/develop/redpill-dtb/rpext-index.json

wget https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/raw/develop/redpill-dtb/releases/dtc

wget https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/raw/develop/redpill-dtb/releases/model_ds1621p.dtb

dtc -I dtb -O dts model_ds1621p.dtb  > output.dts

Edit the output.dts file with your favorite editor. Things to look for :

internal_slot@1 {
                protocol_type = "sata";
                led_type = "lp3943";

ahci {
                        pcie_root = "00:11.0,06.0";
                        ata_port = <0x0>;
                };

led_green {
                        led_name = "syno_led0";
                };

led_orange {
                        led_name = "syno_led1";
                };
        };

You can get the values from tinycore by running : 

udevadm info -q path -n /dev/sdb

or from a running 1621 loader :

cat /sys/block/sataX/device/syno_block_info

Once you are done editing the values you can put the file to :

dtc -I dts -O dtb output.dts > model_ds1621p.dtb and copy the file in

cp model_ds1621p.dtb redpill-load/custom/extensions/jumkey.dtb/ds1621p_42218/model_ds1621p.dtb

And last

./rploader build v1000-7.0.1-42218

Edited by pocopico
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pocopico said:

You need to perform additional steps to enable internal disks. 

The process that will probably work for you once in tinycore is :

./rploader download v1000-7.0.1-42218

./rploader listmods v1000-7.0.1-42218

./rploader.sh ext v1000-7.0.1-42218 add https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/raw/develop/redpill-dtb/rpext-index.json

wget https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/raw/develop/redpill-dtb/releases/dtc

wget https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/raw/develop/redpill-dtb/releases/model_ds1621p.dtb

dtc -I dtb -O dts model_ds1621p.dtb  > output.dts

Edit the output.dts file with your favorite editor. Things to look for :

internal_slot@1 {
                protocol_type = "sata";
                led_type = "lp3943";

ahci {
                        pcie_root = "00:11.0,06.0";
                        ata_port = <0x0>;
                };

led_green {
                        led_name = "syno_led0";
                };

led_orange {
                        led_name = "syno_led1";
                };
        };

You can get the values from tinycore by running : 

udevadm info -q path -n /dev/sdb

or from a running 1621 loader :

cat /sys/block/sataX/device/syno_block_info

Once you are done editing the values you can put the file to :

dtc -I dts -O dtb output.dts > model_ds1621p.dtb and copy the file in

cp model_ds1621p.dtb redpill-load/custom/extensions/jumkey.dtb/ds1621p_42218/model_ds1621p.dtb

And last

./rploader build v1000-7.0.1-42218

@pocopico

As Jumkey explained, the ds1621p loader was booted from the AMD platform Ryzen 3300X system.
This included a driver for r8169.
The dtc file downloaded within tc with wget had a permission problem. First, even if it was adjusted to chmod, it could not be executed.
The build was completed without output.dts.

I wanted to check the network connection status first without adjustment to HDD and SATAPort, but there was no response in r8169. What did I miss?

Edited by Peter Suh